Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:52:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fox9 News Update  (Read 10839 times)
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: July 02, 2018, 11:10:39 am »

FYI: I’ve just been informed that Fox9 news will be doing an update at 9:00 pm tonight.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
HughHoney
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 05:44:55 pm »

Thank you, Linda
DarthVader
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 06:44:25 pm »

Well, ECC can’t complain about the “unfortunate timing” of this story.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 06:49:31 pm »

I plan to watch this. Is there a link I need for the live stream?
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 06:51:11 pm »

http://www.fox9.com/live
Mapleleaf
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 07:38:15 pm »

Well, if nothing else, MD and his followers can stop the story that they had no opportunity to tell their side of the story.  If he wanted to say something publicly, Fox9 again gave him an opportunity, and he again took a pass.
DarthVader
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 08:14:29 pm »

Well, I think for the casual observer who hasn't been close to this, Evergreen came off looking a lot better than is merited, which is to be expected from a 2-3 minute segment on the news. I'd guess the casual observer would give them credit for rescinding Mark's ordination, they didn't dwell on the fact he was offered a path back and gave ECC credit for Mark B stepping down as chairman of the board.  Just my opinion though.

The things we've all been discussing, such as the outrage of Mark being offered a path back despite impacting 5+ women and lying about it to the ECC investigator, the egregious lack of transparency of the report, the lack of any substantial consequences for the senior most pastors who let this happen, the minimizing of allegations to "inappropriate conversation", the lack of any personal outreach to the victims, the terrible self-serving, non-victim focused messages of Mark and Brent after the BoT decisions, all glossed over in a 3 minute story. Sigh - the media - sigh...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:21:23 pm by DarthVader » Logged
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 08:33:02 pm »

The big headline there is that Mark Darling resigned. Most people are not going to be interested in the nitty gritty.

Thank you for addressing the obvious, DV, stating that Mark Darling has been lying to his family, the church he has claimed to love so much, the world he has claimed to love so much, his fellow pastors, his accusers, and the investigator. It's sad, and sad that most of the Evergreen pastors do not seem to grasp the gravity of the situation. I pray they eventually will see more clearly where they have gone wrong.

I wish they would have seen the wisdom of getting help from outside of their little GC bubble.  It would do them a lot of good to get some outside help, not to shore up their reputation, but to build integrity into their organization.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:27:55 pm by GodisFaithful » Logged
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 09:18:20 pm »

I read this thread before listening to the story, so my expectations were low.  For as much as I think ECC's response lacked, Tom Lyden made the consequences sound serious.  So at least the general message is that pastoral misconduct results in consequences.  And...Mark Bowen was mentioned by name, which is probably the worst consequence he's experienced.   Since the BOT gave him a slap on the wrist.
Linda

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 10:14:46 pm »

Article on Lyden’s Timeline.
https://www.facebook.com/196619667144195/posts/1071930756279744/

Same article on Fox9’s Facebook page. Both have different likes and comments.
https://www.facebook.com/77710564137/posts/10156568975314138/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:17:40 pm by Linda » Logged

Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 06:53:56 am »

When the aggressive local reporter known for his hit pieces is more respectful of a church than the Christians on this board, maybe it's time to look in the mirror.

or Darth

That look when the aggressive local reporter shows more respect for your own church than you do.
HughHoney
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 07:00:45 am »

DLM!? How is your credibility holding up these days?
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 07:22:39 am »

When the aggressive local reporter known for his hit pieces is more respectful of a church than the Christians on this board, maybe it's time to look in the mirror.

When you've consistently sided with the abuser, and sought to inflict additional pain on the victims and their supporters, maybe it's time to look in the mirror.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:00:05 am by Huldah » Logged
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 07:38:29 am »

or Darth

That look when the aggressive local reporter shows more respect for your own church than you do.

Perhaps being in the church and seeing first hand the abuses that go on gives us a better perspective to know how far reaching the problems are.
Linda

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 10:06:27 am »

or Darth

DLM,
Do you know why the victims of the abuse have not been personally apologized to?

Wrestling
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 10:33:34 am »

or Darth

Respect must be earned. It is not God given. Deeply painful accusations have been investigated and in that investigation found some terrible things to be true and only one pastor showed true remorse on Sunday and it wasn’t even the one who had a part in all this. This was not a blind spot. It’s sin. In order to earn respect they must repent of this sin to God and to these women. It’s nice that they apologized to their church. Where is the apology to the women? It’s as if some still don’t believe the women, and like some are only sorry this came up again.

Some at ECC have earned my respect. Some don’t deserve it. But my opinion isn’t nearly as valuable as Suzanne and the other victims.

Andy Gray chose bravery in a posture of brokenness. God bless him.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:43:05 am by Wrestling » Logged
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 10:45:21 am »

Wrestling,

It is reassuring and helpful to hear voices and sentiments like yours from within ECC.

Thanks.
Wrestling
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 11:22:42 am »

Wrestling,

It is reassuring and helpful to hear voices and sentiments like yours from within ECC.

Thanks.

To be clear I am a former member. Sorry I didn’t make that clear! Which probably makes my sentiment mean even less to current members, oh well.
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 02:44:26 pm »

Oh well.

I appreciated what you said. I see it, too.

Imagine a world where former members were treated with TLC by EC leadership.
DarthVader
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 03:17:26 pm »

or Darth

Sorry DLM, I don't have a snappy comeback for you. I'm sorry people you clearly love and care about are suffering including all of Mark's family.  They don't deserve this and I hope you and their many friends are providing comfort and support to them in their hour of need.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: