Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:07:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time for a new website?  (Read 1755 times)
LostCreature3
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: November 28, 2022, 09:57:52 am »

Hey, this is LostCreature3, formally LostCreature2, formally Lost Creature (password troubles).

Now that GCX has been "officially" disbanded for approx. 2 years or so, is it time to make some changes to the format of how we tell the stories of our experiences?

First, I want to say that these forums and Larry Pile's, "Marching To Zion," have played a large part in discovering the history of the movement I grew up in. These resources have been a God-send to myself and others who felt like something was off about it all, but didn't have the words to see it fully.

However, it took many hours and days of personal research for me to get a bigger picture from these resources, scrolling through pages of testimonies and personal stories dating many years. I had to put in that time and effort before I was fully convinced of all that has happened. I also had to dig deep and scour through everything before I could fully confirm that all this wasn't just "gossip."

There needs to be a better, more digestible way, for this history and these stories to be available for anyone who asks.

I personally believe that we need a main site that showcases an abridged version of GCX history, the specific issues of the GCX system, member testimony from all the decades, and current history of the GCX offshoots (e.i. C1 Network, M28 Alliance, etc).

The website for former members of The Network (https://leavingthenetwork.org) may be a good framework to learn from (though not directly copy, of course.) They have a similar story that we do (Non-denominational church planting movement, one charismatic leader, control issues with members, etc) and we can learn a lot from how they are both processing their own stories while warning others of the dangers of such a movement.

Yes, we do have the Great Commission Church Warning site, but that is currently outdated, and only contains issues as they relate to the 91 Statement of Error.

I do believe we should keep the forum and the GCX library, but only as reference for those who wish to dig deeper into the history; not as a first glimpse.

Fellow survivors and former members, what are your thoughts about this?

How can we keep this story alive without having to force others to dig deep through a forum and a history book just to find out what happened?

To the mods, if this is not the appropriate place to discuss this, please move it or delete it or whatever you believe is best.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 10:23:52 am »

Those are worthwhile points to ponder, LostCreature. Sounds like something to look into. Like the format of the website you shared the link of.

Fine place to post.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 10:33:34 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
LostCreature3
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 12:07:11 pm »

To follow up, there was another suggestion I had that I would like to explore with the group as well...

As much as I love this forum, it is also difficult, at times, to connect meaningfully with other survivors without possibly exposing my identity or there's (since this is a public forum).

I would love to connect with other fellow survivors and fellow members in private with something like Discord or maybe even a Private Facebook Group.

Having something like that in private would allow for better support and not having to worry about your identity being leaked to current leaders or members as it has in the past.

Does a private Discord or Facebook Group like that already exist? Or would one have to be created and maintained?
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 01:44:21 pm »

GOOD question.

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 07:35:10 am »

Many of us have used the “My Messages” tab above to connect on a less anonymous level.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 08:32:32 am »

That is an easier and faster way to start. It has been very encouraging and supportive to me.

Please be careful who you give your real name, email address or phone number to. There are always people who are unsafe on a forum this large. Undoubtedly, there are people who pretend to be sympathetic to victims, but have ulterior motives. Look for those who are consistent over the years and seem genuine. Do not give out any information to just anyone who asks.

Linda

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 12:22:40 pm »

I am very grateful for the people who started this website/forum and very appreciative of the time and money they have invested in keeping it going. I am aware of many people, parents and students alike, who have come to this site and found information and stories here helpful. I think the history is important. The stories matter and people know that they can come here to read and tell their stories. That said, if anyone feels led to start a different web page in addition to this one, I say go as the Spirit leads.

I hope though that gcmwarning remains as is.

And again, a HUGE thank you to those that maintain this site. You have helped more people than you probably know.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 04:04:02 pm »

Totally agree, Linda!!

WoodBern82
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 12:47:18 pm »

I do think a more user friendly website would be worth it.  Even the functionality of it... I still don't know the best way to copy an existing forum quote and reference it properly.  My frequency of using it lately is much less maybe since GCM or GCX dissolved.  I know the churches continue but I haven't been part of Evergreen (Hometown) for more almost 4 years.  I like that we have this but would use it more if some of the changes suggested in this thread were actually undertaken.
With that... a huge thanks for those who have launched this and mantained it. 
MidnightRider

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 01:34:45 pm »

I do think a more user friendly website would be worth it.  Even the functionality of it... I still don't know the best way to copy an existing forum quote and reference it properly. 

Press the Quote button on the upper right corner of the message.

Changing to another site has problems. We would likely lose our previous discussions.

IMHO this forum knocks the socks off of having a discussion on Facebook.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2023, 09:29:27 pm »

Several of us writing on this website have heard privately from former members in just the last few years who have been tremendously helped by what is exposed on this website. The personal stories of so many have caused them to realize they weren’t imaging the spiritually abusive words and actions of those “leading them” in “GCx” churches/college groups. Some of these people may never be able to share here, but they too have been empowered to escape.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 10:14:50 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 12:14:47 pm »

I agree that the software here isn't the latest and greatest, but at least it's adequate for lengthy discussions. FaceBook is optimized for sharing quick updates, photos, and links, but it's poorly suited for in-depth discussions. (The nesting of replies is particularly annoying.) I've never been on Discord so I can't comment on its suitability.

That said, anyone is free to set up a new GCx group on any platform they like, or even to create their own website. I would consider joining an additional platform, if it allowed anonymous posting, but I'd still stay active here as well. There's so much history and useful information here that I hope it can remain available indefininitely.
Ned_Flanders
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2023, 01:24:23 pm »

Hey, this is LostCreature3, formally LostCreature2, formally Lost Creature (password troubles).

Now that GCX has been "officially" disbanded for approx. 2 years or so, is it time to make some changes to the format of how we tell the stories of our experiences?

First, I want to say that these forums and Larry Pile's, "Marching To Zion," have played a large part in discovering the history of the movement I grew up in. These resources have been a God-send to myself and others who felt like something was off about it all, but didn't have the words to see it fully.

However, it took many hours and days of personal research for me to get a bigger picture from these resources, scrolling through pages of testimonies and personal stories dating many years. I had to put in that time and effort before I was fully convinced of all that has happened. I also had to dig deep and scour through everything before I could fully confirm that all this wasn't just "gossip."

There needs to be a better, more digestible way, for this history and these stories to be available for anyone who asks.

I personally believe that we need a main site that showcases an abridged version of GCX history, the specific issues of the GCX system, member testimony from all the decades, and current history of the GCX offshoots (e.i. C1 Network, M28 Alliance, etc).

The website for former members of The Network (https://leavingthenetwork.org) may be a good framework to learn from (though not directly copy, of course.) They have a similar story that we do (Non-denominational church planting movement, one charismatic leader, control issues with members, etc) and we can learn a lot from how they are both processing their own stories while warning others of the dangers of such a movement.

Yes, we do have the Great Commission Church Warning site, but that is currently outdated, and only contains issues as they relate to the 91 Statement of Error.

I do believe we should keep the forum and the GCX library, but only as reference for those who wish to dig deeper into the history; not as a first glimpse.

Fellow survivors and former members, what are your thoughts about this?

How can we keep this story alive without having to force others to dig deep through a forum and a history book just to find out what happened?

To the mods, if this is not the appropriate place to discuss this, please move it or delete it or whatever you believe is best.

I think it would be a good idea to start a new site devoted to helping people recover from dangerous religious groups.... not just GCx. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: