Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:43:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeff Van Vonderen Profoundly Explains The Core Dynamic of Spiritual Abuse  (Read 5103 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: August 11, 2016, 09:27:37 pm »

Core Dynamic of Spiritual Abuse

Captured on Video

Jeff Van Vonderen clearly and profoundly explains the core dynamic of spiritual abuse in the video below. His description and definition of it helps us and others GET it.  Be prepared that the video doesn't show as clear as videos today, but the communication of his point is crystal clear.  It seems to be the whole session, not just a clip, which is very helpful.  Try to watch at least the first 10 minutes because it's in that that he introduces the dynamic.

http://www.nacr.org/wordpress/4192/spiritual-abuse-an-introduction-part-1

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:48:21 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Free in Christ
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 11:02:35 am »

The Gospel Coalition recently published this article on domestic spiritual abuse. I found it interesting, as many of my friends in Great Commission are fans of TGC, so I wonder if there will be an  openness to the concept of spiritual abuse thus presented.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/hidden-epidemic-god-hates/
Mary7
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 02:11:08 pm »

Very good article, thanks for sharing.
Godtrumpsall
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 09:37:55 am »

The Gospel Coalition recently published this article on domestic spiritual abuse. I found it interesting, as many of my friends in Great Commission are fans of TGC, so I wonder if there will be an  openness to the concept of spiritual abuse thus presented.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/hidden-epidemic-god-hates/

I felt the article gave valid examples of spiritual /domestic abuse.  But are you insinuating that people are claiming these same abuses within GCx churches, or from leadership??  I am not sure what your point is, but if that is where you are going with this, then you are absolutely wrong, and I have yet to see one claim come even close to the abuses listed in this article.  I am 100% certain that every GCx person on here would agree that the examples in the article are abusive.  As for myself, the complaints I hear on this forum against GCx, in my opinion, are vague forms of offenses, disagreements-lacking context, and disagreements over theology.  And the other issues point to people stuck in unhealthy spiritual places where the focus is on pleasing people, leaders, church and finding their value and identity in that, pleasing people, rather than finding identity in Christ.  If people were looking to Christ for their validation and identity, then they would be able to take advice from trusted leaders, and apply it appropriately to their lives.  People seeking out approval, and even the praise of others, or status (leadership as a goal) will miss the mark totally, and feel misused, worn out, and distrust others and  their input into their lives.  It only works when we are seeking Christ's approval.     
Linda

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:13:20 pm »

Janet posted this in 2016. It is so good.

I am especially thinking today about what he says stating at the 9:00 minute mark as he defines "spiritual abuse".

http://www.nacr.org/center-for-spirituality-and-recovery/spiritual-abuse-an-introduction-part-1
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:43:27 pm by Linda » Logged

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 12:18:25 pm »

Janet posted this in 2016. It is so good.

I am especially thinking today about what he says stating at the 9:00 minute mark as he defines "spiritual abuse".

http://www.nacr.org/center-for-spirituality-and-recovery/spiritual-abuse-an-introduction-part-1J

I am getting an error 404
Linda

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 12:43:53 pm »

Sorry. I forgot to check the link when I posted. Fixing it now.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: