Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:06:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Ortberg’s All Too Familiar Blog post  (Read 2506 times)
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: April 02, 2018, 09:31:58 am »

This is eerily familiar.

Here is today’s John Ortberg blog post.

http://www.johnortberg.com/observations-on-the-chicago-tribune-article-re-willow-creek-leadership/

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Watching
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 12:21:26 pm »

Wow.  Thanks, Linda, for posting that link.  Substitute "Evergreen" for Willow Creek and you seem to have a very similar situation.  Praying for honesty, truth, transparency - across the board.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 12:23:20 pm by Watching » Logged
Huldah
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 12:58:22 pm »

From the linked article:

I was approached over four years ago with disturbing information that I did not seek out. Along with others who received this information, I directed it to the elders of Willow Creek. The process that followed was, in my view, poorly designed and likely to expose any woman who came forward to grave risks.

An independent investigation by an outside, trained expert should have been thoroughly carried out before the senior pastor was first approached. To my knowledge that did not happen. The firm chosen to investigate (more than a year after the first report) is one that, as stated on their website, “exclusively represents management.” Of course, both sides of an accusation deserve a hearing and fair representation, but a firm that is retained by one side, and whose principal work is to represent one side in such disputes, cannot be considered independent. (emphasis added)

I've been trying to learn more about the legal obligations of boards of trustees in general. (I'm also aware Google results aren't the final word on the subject, so I'm open to correction here if someone has better information.) As nearly as I can figure out from multiple sources, a board of trustees has a legal obligation to represent the interests of their organization ahead of any outside interests. If the lawyer reports directly to the Evergreen BOT, and the BOT has the duty to act in the best interests of Evergreen, then what conclusion should we draw about the BOT's ability to act fairly and impartially?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: