Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:37:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Misplaced Loyalty in GCx Churches  (Read 3227 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: February 13, 2021, 09:35:04 pm »

Misplaced Loyalty in GCx Churches

From scriptures twisted to protect abusive leaders, GCx often emphasizes a concept of Loyalty that God never intended.  In the article below from the “Here’s the Joy” blogsite, Rebecca Davis explains the difference between allegiance to men and faithfulness to God.  In her article, “Loyalty is not a Christian Value”, she examines common misconceptions about “Christian Loyalty”.

In light of the recent Ravi Zacharias Scandal, there is an important value that believers should never abandon, and it is not loyalty to men.  It is faithfulness to God and His Word.  The link to this page on her blogsite is included below the excerpt.  The article in full is extremely helpful for Christians to consider and put into practice toward those in leadership in their own churces or organizations.

”What is loyalty?

The fact is that the concept of loyalty fits more with the feudal system than with Christianity.

It was first used of knights swearing allegiance to kings, to fight for that king and no other king. It indicated an underling and an overlord, as well as a strong sense of “My king, right or wrong.” Because loyalty is unswerving.  ...

What God’s Word teaches is faithfulness: always in love seeking the other’s good. (People often use the word loyal to describe what husband and wife should be to each other, but faithful is a far better word.)

This examination of terminology sheds a whole new light on the issue.

Loyalty implies sticking with the organization without asking questions.

Faithfulness demands reciprocal questions when necessary.

Loyalty will go to bat for the institution without understanding the issues.

Faithfulness will do the hard thing to actually look at what’s going on, even if the answer gives a gut punch.

Loyalty says, “I will simply assume that this organization is faithful to God.”

Faithfulness says, “I’ll drag these issues [sometimes issues no one else is talking about yet but which are in the warp and woof of the organization] out into the light and examine them in the light of God’s Word.”

Because faithfulness puts God and God’s truth and God’s love first. ... “
(Emphasis mine)

Link to full article:
https://heresthejoy.com/2020/06/loyalty-is-not-a-christian-virtue/

By the way, I have noticed that current membership applications to Churches started by GCC leaders such as the “M28 Alliance” require their people to literally sign to keep this kind of misplaced allegiance and loyalty to their leaders.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 08:29:31 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 05:13:41 pm »

I think I know what you mean about finding healthy environments outside of GC.  For me, I was involved in GC for 8 years... 8 of my most formative adult years, mind you... most of my college years and the first 8 years of my marriage!  I will never get those years back, and I do have regret for the relationships I could have been building with my family and other people.  Instead, I was building the GC foundation in our city!

GC tells you, "You're never going to find friends like us.  The world will chew you up and spit you out.  You're standing shoulder to shoulder with the most amazing people on earth... we're a band of brothers, etc."  I found it to be the opposite. GC chewed us up and spit us out...
-AgathaL’Orange

1. Loyalty was misused. People were being asked to commit to one church (not the church universal) for life.
2. There was an elitism whereas we thought we were better than other churches/groups and were more committed to the spread of the gospel.
3. Believers were always told to seek counsel if they wanted to leave, but the counsel was always to stay and never to leave.
4. There was shunning that went on when people left the group, often being told they were not believers and not being told the true reasons why they left. ...

I finally brought these issues up to my Bible study leader and it took a lot of effort because when I did, I felt as if I was betraying God. Later, I found out that a sense of betrayal in bringing up concerns is one of the main indicators of being in a 'high pressure' organization and is actually a form of control and spiritual manipulation. ...

After leaving, I received counseling and was told that I had experienced a controlling church. If you Google the terms "abusive churches" or "controlling churches", you will see some things that may describe your experience in GC to some extent, depending on how far into the "leadership process" you are.
-MarthaH

We were approached by one of the "leaders" to start receiving "leadership training". Following the proposal, we were informed we needed to make a deep commitment to the "movement" and to the "local church" above and beyond what is already bonded us together in the Bible. As we thought this was unnecessary, we refused the proposal and became aware of the subtle foundational issues we previously ignored.

Loyalty and unity to "leadership" takes precedence over everything. ...
To summarize: strong evangelism, shallow relationships, shallow growth, over-reaching authority structure, widespread learned helplessness. We are sad to lose the relationships, but glad to be out of that church "corporation".
-boboso    [left ~ 2007]

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:49:03 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 06:57:49 pm »

I do not believe loyalty to the leader(s) should be a core value of any ministry or church. Honesty, integrity, transparency, equity, financial accountability are among solid core values. But the Christian’s loyalty is to CHRIST. The leaders themselves need to echo that often.
-Beth Moore, Twitter, 2/14/21  

(Emphasis mine)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 07:46:05 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 08:42:03 pm »

I had so much zeal that I separated from my parents (who were VERY concerned about the ISU [Iowa State University] Bible study due to the news coverage in the Des Moines Register about the cult label being applied to the group and to it's charismatic leader, Jim McCotter). ... I was deeply embarrassed for the way I treated my friends and relatives while attending the Ames [GCx] Church. That spiritual elitism really dampened my relationships and to have to admit I was mistaken and in error was shattering.
-lone gone

This assignment of new authority occurs often in my GC church.  A "new family" replaces the old, thus disregarding the commandment: Honor your mother and your father. This is a great illustration, though, of how dishonoring such behavior is to our biological family, and how disrespectful GC is for using such tactics.  I would consider this divisive.
-Daisy   [left ~ 2006]

Loyalty is preached endlessly, and if you are single it is HIGHLY encouraged to live with other singles. ...I was told I could become selfish if I did not move in with other singles because then we we all could serve the church together in "unity". The thing is, I knew I would not be true friends with these people due to the fact that we did not have the same interests, etc. Church interests reign supreme in GC [GCx alias].
-Grounded    [left ~ 2008]

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 08:46:04 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 10:51:41 pm »

Bowing Down to the Wrong god

The other day I was reading through Daniel, Chapter Three, about Daniel’s three friends being thrown in the fiery furnace because they wouldn’t bow down to the intimidating gold idol.  I saw a note I had scribbled in the past on the Bible page at the end of that chapter.  My note simply said, “Bow down to GCx?”  

False Teachers, characteristically full of sinful pride, insist their people bow down to them.  They may not say it in so many words, but it is very much understood.  They imply or tell their people what sacrifices they expect from them to show they are loyally devoted.  They disguise the sacrifice made to themselves by declaring it is for God. One of the most depressing things that the people under them give up is their own authenticity.

Like Daniel’s friends, there is a cost to those who won’t bow down to the GCx god.  They are thrown into the fiery furnace of slander, lies, attempts to destroy their reputation, and even divide them from their own families.  
When a believer truly sacrifices for God, it is Spirit-led and love-driven, and later accompanied by fulfillment, deeper faith, joy and peace.  When a believer sacrifices for an idol, it is Devil-inspired and fear-driven, and later accompanied by emptiness, confusion, disappointment, and devastation.  

So think about whether you are bowing down to the wrong god in your “obedience” to GCx.  The cost may be far greater than you have realized.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 09:33:42 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 09:50:31 am »

Transferring Allegiance

“I am surprised and astonished that you are so quickly turning renegade and deserting Him Who invited and called you by the grace (unmerited favor) of Christ (the Messiah) [and that you are transferring your allegiance] to a different [even an opposition] gospel.  Not that there is [or could be] any other [genuine Gospel], but there are [obviously] some who are troubling and disturbing and bewildering you with a different kind of teaching which they offer as a gospel and want to pervert and distort the Gospel of Christ   (the Messiah) [into something which it absolutely is not."                      
Galations 1:6     Amplified

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 07:42:33 pm »

After receiving Christ, I started attending a GCx group where I was taught that pleasing God meant obeying the church leaders without question.  The leaders of GCx essentially became a substitute for Christ's intended rule over the church.  We were told we should follow the leaders like the Israelites followed Moses, yet God clearly states the old covenant has been done away with and a new one is in place with direct access to God through Christ.  GCx seems to be perverting the means by which God's people communicate and relate to Him.  They have set themselves in a very disturbing position between God and his people.   Jesus Christ died for the unrighteousness of his people so that they would have the Righteousness, Holiness, Mindfulness of Christ, and Priestly Authority themselves to speak to and hear from God.  He alone is their Lord, Master and Savior.  

... In my experience, GCx leaders acted as if they alone had direct wisdom and "authority" from God to strongly advise and firmly direct "their flock" on personal matters, and gave little confidence for people to make their own personal life choices.  This distortion of how God leads his people and abuse of authority still seems to be prevalent in their churches....
-Janet

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 10:02:48 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Vince Capobianco
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 02:37:35 pm »

If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.

You do not love God.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 01:42:34 pm by Vince Capobianco » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 09:55:31 am »

Here is something all too familiar to former members of GCx from the booklet, “Spiritual Abuse: Unspoken Crisis” by Shawn Nelson (which frequently references the Mars Hill Church).  His description below identifies abusively Misplaced Loyalty among unhealthy church leaders.  We would do well to examine our church leaders to test their loyalty to Jesus rather than themselves.

Distorted Loyalty.
Abusive pastors have a distorted view of loyalty.  They may say they are only concerned about building up Jesus’ kingdom but in reality there are only interested in building their own empire.  This can be seen in a number of ways.  One organization requires their youth workers sign a “loyalty statement” where they promise to not minister to youth in their area for a period of time should they leave that organization.  Certain pastors may require volunteers or staff to commit to not planting other churches within a certain distance of their church for fear they might “steal the sheep.”  Some require their staff to sign “gag orders” as a condition for a severance pay when terminated.  These are all signs that a pastor is not really concerned about “loyalty to Christ, but about loyalty to a given organization, church, or leader.”

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 05:41:03 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 09:54:15 pm »

Dangerous Loyalty in GCx Churches
Calls for Whistleblowers

Since GCx Churches have recently changed their names, but not necessarily their harmful traditions; it is quite beneficial to know what the Bible really says about loyalty, especially loyalty to church leaders.  Written just a year ago, this is the best short study of this subject I have read on this crucial issue.  “Loyalty is a Dangerous Virtue: The Church Needs Whistleblowers” a long needed article from Eternity News which is part of Bible Society Australia.  (The newspaper’s name has a cool and unexpected history which is briefly described in Wikipedia.)  One of the best nuggets is that it describes an important aspect of God’s loyalty in that he holds his people ‘to account where they have broken faith with him’.  Below are some lines I extracted from it. The link to the full article is at the bottom.

In all the discussion recently about church leaders who are accused of bullying their staff and their congregations, I kept noticing how often these leaders demanded absolute loyalty from those placed under them.  

A recent article about a disgraced leader of a church planting network named “rejection of critical feedback, and an expectation of unconditional loyalty” as part of a style of leadership that has left an intercontinental trail of damage. ...

So – God is faithful and we are to be faithful. We are one in Christ, so don’t cause disunity. Isn’t it important to be loyal – especially to our leaders, who have such a difficult job to do? ...

But God’s faithfulness does not mean that he overlooks injustice and corruption in them, does it? You only have to read a few pages of the prophets to see that he is fierce against them in their idolatry and their adultery, their greed and their exploitation of the poor. ...

What does this mean for loyalty with the church? It means I can’t, as a Christian leader, require a loyalty of someone other than their loyalty to the faithful God. And their loyalty to me might actually be fully expressed in their pointing out my sin - so that I might be more Christlike. ...

We’re to treat people with grace, and to be aware of our own tendency to be blind to our sin, for sure; but it is not an expression of loyalty to a leader to put up with their abusive behaviour.

Link to full article:
https://www.eternitynews.com.au/opinion/loyalty-is-a-dangerous-virtue-the-church-needs-whistleblowers/

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 02:32:40 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Vince Capobianco
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 01:55:11 pm »

You sure are milking this bitterness...I pray you will come to your senses and realize it's time to make peace and bring everything out into the open...there is redemption and reconciliation for all those who focus on Jesus.  God wants to rescue you from all the years of gossip and slander you've engaged in and remind you of the new life He has provided you.  It's not over!  You can enter into His joy!
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 02:25:57 pm »

For the record, Vince Capobianco has never pointed out a single instance of Jim being slandered on this forum, even when repeatedly asked to do so.

To anyone reading this forum, I'm sorry to be so repetitive in my replies, but future readers who come across Vince's accusations need to understand that he's not being rational. Look up his posts for yourself. It will be obvious that he keeps insisting on calling us liars, yet he won't link to a single lie that we've allegedly posted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: