Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:18:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opportunity to apologize  (Read 2197 times)
UffDa
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: April 06, 2018, 12:36:53 am »

I can remember a time I meant to make a joke with some friends and my flippant cliche expression hit my friends in an area of their life that I didn’t know they were struggling with. I didn’t know until later that I had wounded them with my words and I needed to apologize. The hard part was knowing I needed to apologize, but I was not given the opportunity to apologize. They avoided me and wouldn’t return phone calls or emails. My last resort was to send a card with a specific apology. Through this I also learned that when someone offends me I need to let them know and give them an opportunity to apologize. It really helps in preventing holding grudges and holding onto hurt feelings. 
My hope with this thread is that if someone has offended you specifically on this forum you can give them the opportunity to apologize and move forward in a positive direction.
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 05:09:05 am »

FYI: Between “Profile” and “Members” on the menu above, there is access to private messages for communications of that nature.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 05:41:56 am »

Thanks for starting this thread. I do think calling out offenses is probably best done through private messages, or I could see this turning into an all out brawl very quickly. But if anyone has specific things they know hey should apologize for, this could be a good place to put it, or if items are address through PM, they could be shared here. I would personally hope everyone occasionally reads through their own posts and with new eyes to see how it may have sounded to others.

I will start by sharing an apology I have already given, because I think admitting when you are wrong is important (even if I don't like it). I already apologized for harsh words I said towards GTA in another post, and sent her a private message. But in keeping with how I believe publicly stated words should be publicly corrected, I also made an edit to the post and am sharing it here. I think this is a good practice, because it changes the tone of what you said both for the one you said it to, but also to others who may see the forum in the future. If there are other people I have offended (for anything other than honest difference of opinion), please feel free to message me.

http://forum.gcmwarning.com/general-discussion/if-youre-at-a-gcx-church-where-are-you/msg16677/#msg16677
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: