Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:22:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: still friends?  (Read 4366 times)
unsubscribed
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: June 09, 2007, 10:37:31 am »

I ran into a former member of our gcm church the other night.  They had stopped attending before we left, apparently the husband went back but the wife is still "unchurched".  We were chatting about school and families and out of the blue she asked why we were in the Friends of section of the current directory.This completely caught me off guard.  We have been asked not to attend any ECC function.  What is the rational behind putting us in the directory in the section for people who have left (usually because of a move)? Is it so that the leadership wouldn't have to answer questions because we suddenly were not in the directory?  We have not been formally ex-communicated.  Just *shunned*  to the point it is obvious to outsiders.  If this is how they treat their friends I would hate to be on the actual enemy list!
exshep
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 06:21:57 pm »

You have my heartfelt sympathies.  That was a nemisis I encountered with a former member of the Columbus church.   The implication was I not saved unless  I was  in a GC church.   Since I was not spiritual, I was shunned.  I am sorry to hear that is still going on 20  years later.

Had friend in Columbus church 80's and 90s. Member left in 1993  Involved GC in Texas  2005-2007.  Empathy to both  with  positive and negative aspects.
unsubscribed
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:25:48 pm »

Thanks,
Your comments are helpful.  One reason this forum is good is that it helps to know others have endured this craziness.
unsubscribed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: