Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:06:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The darker side of Hopler and Whitney  (Read 6849 times)
ReaperofGCM
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: May 07, 2019, 11:50:48 am »

I just spoke with the pastor of a church that was apart of GCM until 3 weeks ago. John Hopler and Rick Whitney asked him to support
them and get behind Mark Darling. The pastor and his co pastor decided with the facts presented to them that they couldn't stand behind
Mark Darling so Hopler and Whitney pulled the funding for this church and this church is no longer apart of GCM and shut their doors last week for good.

Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 11:55:44 am »

Hopler and Whitney are supporting Darling? Did you get a sense of how they wanted this pastor to get behind Darling? In terms of helping him be restored, or in terms of helping him find a ministry leadership position?

Also, was this a GCM church (now part of the "Collegiate Church Network") or was this a GCC church?

Does GCM/GCC supplement church funding?

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
ReaperofGCM
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 12:18:01 pm »

They are absolutely supporting Darling and they are asking the pastors of the churches under their organization for support or they cut off funding. Hopler/Whitney
can't publicly support Darling because that would obviously look bad for them given the amount of press the Darling story generated.

GCM/GCC typically provides financial support for churches under their wing, especially if the church has less than 300 members. Rent/minimal salaries etc... The church
I am speaking about has been involved with GCM for almost 30 years. I am honestly not too sure on the GCM/GCC stuff, we only knew it to be affiliated
with GCM.

I didn't necessarily get a sense of how Hopler and Whitney wanted this pastor to get behind them. This pastor had been close friends with both those men and Darling
for 30 years at least. They had just asked for him to "stand with them" and it's just something he couldn't do. Financially, this certain church was already hurting
and this was the nail in the coffin.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:22:45 pm by ReaperofGCM » Logged
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 01:26:36 pm »

Thank you for the information, Reaper.

It doesn't come as much of a surprise that Hopler is supporting Darling. He caused or allowed a note of thanks and praise for Mark to be posted on the GCC BOT page while the investigation was underway. He expressed his affection for Mark in no uncertain terms in the letter at https://www.evergreenchurch.com/letter. He apparently refused to use his influence to discourage Mark's supporters from coming here to intimidate the victims.

But, if this information is accurate, it's very disappointing. I never thought he would sink low enough to pull the rug out from under an entire congregation. I thought he was better than that.
ReaperofGCM
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 01:47:43 pm »

@Huldah, one thing I find interesting about the letter Hopler posted on the Evergreen Church site, at the bottom of the letter, you will see the section "statement
to GCC pastors about Mark Darling". It is signed "GCC Executive Committee (John Hopler, Dave Bovenmeyer, Rick Whitney"
yet the only "GCC Committee" that exists is the one listed here http://gccweb.org/about/gcc-board/

Where did this GCC Executive Committee come from?

I have seen other posts on this board about wishing GCC churches could recognize the error of their ways, or that things could perhaps turn around.
We are so far past that point. What is happening right now is absolute corruption at the risk of losing a fellow friend.

Right now it is easy for Hopler/Whitney to leverage financial support to churches in exchange for support of Darling. They are currently restructuring the whole
organization so it's either put up and shut up, or have your support network destroyed.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 02:25:40 pm »

From http://gccweb.org/about/faq/ under Question #12, "Who leads the Great Commission Churches association?":

"As for the GCC national organization, the Executive Committee is John Hopler (Administrative Director), Rick Whitney and Dave Bovenmyer. The other board members are Doug Brown, Matt Gordon, Brent Knox, Chris Martin, Robbie McAlister and Tom Short (GCC board)."
ReaperofGCM
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 02:30:05 pm »

Thanks Huldah I obviously overlooked that.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 02:41:43 pm »

Well, it was kind of buried away where it wasn't obvious.

I wonder how Suzanne and the other women feel about all of this. What must it be like to see the highest leadership advocating so strenuously for the man who exploited them, while the victims themselves are ignored and forgotten?
ReaperofGCM
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 02:50:53 pm »

That is one of the more unfortunate parts to this story. Mark Darlings Defense Letter brought up "The Honorable Judge Kavanaugh" even
though his accusers story was corroborated by other sources. It really shows the character of these men that given what happened to these women,
for whatever reason be it financially or emotionally, the Executive Committee has chosen not to agree.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 03:03:28 pm »

So the higher-ups are lobbying to "support" Mark (whatever that means) even though Mark has left the movement. Obviously there's some goal in mind, but what? Not to get too speculative, but GCC has a pastors' conference coming up in Minneapolis next month. I wonder if any interesting announcements concerning Mark will come out of that conference.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 04:32:16 pm »

It’s harder to see the truth in the dark.  This last protecting of offending shepherd/s may be the final nail for the organization.  I am so grateful some are willing to stand alone and even be cut offf and alienated to recognize what’s right and true.  That is the beginning of freedom for them.  God has light ahead for them. 

Cooperating with deception is walking in the dark.

COME OUT, O brave former GCx leaders INTO THE LIGHT!

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 08:32:22 am »

This is an earlier post, but thought it was a question that is worth repeating in light of GCx’s leadership most recent practice of covering up, denying, and perverting the truth.

ARE GCX ELDERS above the Bible ?

"The elders who are good leaders should be considered worthy of an ample honorarium, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching.  For the Scripture says:  Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain, and, the worker is worthy of his wages.  

Don’t accept an accusation against an elder unless it is supported by two or three witnesses.  Publicly rebuke those who sin, so that the rest will also be afraid.
I solemnly charge you before God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels to observe these things without prejudice, doing nothing out of favoritism
Don’t be too quick to appoint anyone as an elder, and don’t share in the sins of others.
 Keep yourself pure."   (1Timothy 5: 17-22)

1.  Who according to those scriptures are to be considered worthy of honor?   Does it apply to anyone who preaches and teaches?

2.  What exactly would qualify them as "those who work hard at"?   Does it mean they are convincing, charismatic, or good speakers?    Would it have anything to do with Paul's instructions on being one who accurately handles the word of truth?

3.  What accusations against elders are permitted to be accepted and received?  How many witnesses and testimonial evidences have been shared, explained, and warned about GCX elders on this site or to you personally?  What does God say to do about them?  Ignore them?

4.  Has the most clearly obvious offender in your group, church, or "church" organization ever been publicly rebuked as the scriptures demand?  Why is this necessary does the passage above say?   If it has not been observed, what does the scripture imply might be the reason?

Are there any elders appointed in GCx organizations that were not appointed by the main biblical offender or by his appointees?

WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE GCX ELDERS IN THE HIERACHRY OF TRUTH?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 01:39:16 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Lost Creature
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 11:26:58 am »

ARE GCX ELDERS above the Bible ?

"The elders who are good leaders should be considered worthy of an ample honorarium, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching.  For the Scripture says:  Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain, and, the worker is worthy of his wages.  

Don’t accept an accusation against an elder unless it is supported by two or three witnesses.  Publicly rebuke those who sin, so that the rest will also be afraid.
I solemnly charge you before God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels to observe these things without prejudice, doing nothing out of favoritism
Don’t be too quick to appoint anyone as an elder, and don’t share in the sins of others.
 Keep yourself pure."   (1Timothy 1: 17-22)

I am assuming you meant 1 Timothy 5:17-22... Roll Eyes
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 01:38:54 pm »

Yes, Thank you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: