Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 17, 2024, 05:24:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomorrow  (Read 13327 times)
AgathaL'Orange
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: May 01, 2018, 09:58:35 pm »

I don’t really even know how to pray for this, and I’m not even involved, but I’m nervous for the report tomorrow.  I imagine those  on both sides are sitting on pins and needles. 

I guess we can pray for the truth to be revealed in the days ahead and for healing to happen.

It’s all quite sad and I can’t even imagine how sad it must feel to all involved.

I know things can get heated, and so many of us come from very different angles on every different topic.  But I do hope we all can be at peace soon. 

Tonight I pray for Suzanne and the other women.  John.  Family.  Mark and Kathy, family.  The church.  Those who attend and those who have left.  I confess my heart and actions do not always reflect what I want them to or handle things the best way. 

A lot is at stake for a lot of people. 

Life is really really hard sometimes.  And I feel for those involved.  It must feel excruciatingly  painful right now.

I believe we’re all sinners in need of Jesus.  Obviously we disagree on a lot of things.   That is one thing many of us do agree on.

I believe we also all share a sense of justice. 

I guess I’ll pray for truth, healing, justice, forgiveness, love, and peace to take root.  Transformation.  Hope.  Restoration.   No matter what happens, these are all needed.

I do believe eventually it will be okay.  Healing is possible. 

It’s going to be okay in the end.  If it’s not okay, then it’s not the end.

Let’s put our differences and harsh words aside for a bit and just pray tonight, if we can.

Glad to be free.
Linda

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 02:54:09 am »

Well said. Thanks for writing this.

Praying for all those things today.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Barb
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 04:22:50 am »

Yes and Amen!
searching
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 04:23:25 am »

Very well said, Agatha. Continuing to pray.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 04:26:59 am »

Also yes and Amen.

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 04:42:15 am »

Thanks Agatha for writing this. I agree and am praying for truth to be revealed, and for justice to be done in this situation for the sake of all involved.
Greentruth

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 04:54:00 am »

Agatha, ironic as myself and a few friends who have watched this situation unfold here and elsewhere, could not believe the thread yesterday. An almost gleeful and flippant feeling came across. Some say they are not tied to every poster that advocates this site, but be assured, those who look at this form do equate it to that extent. Just so those who have not looked at this form until recent understand this stance. In the four months I have looked at this,  I see a few who actually want to just share their story, a few more who want to take it further and add as many issues to their discrediting of the Church, and a few more who just plain simply would like to see the Church destroyed. No matter how you look at it, this is confusing how this unity can be separated. A few of us defend what we know as fact, as we attend or did attend ECC at one time.  Caution would be advised when reading here if you don’t know which category of form regulars your looking at. They do define themselves most times.
Boggs
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 04:59:50 am »

Amen, Agatha. Thank you.
Mary7
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 05:04:13 am »

Praying the same, thanks.
Godtrumpsall
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 06:22:13 am »

Agatha, thank you for your soft heart and sharing this, as I agree with Greentruth, the tone yesterday in the posts is something I cannot even put words to.

This news story;  I don't think you guys understand.  Church will be mocked, not just ECC, but your church, your friend's church, the church down the street.  God will be mocked.  Tom Lyden is an outspoken LGBT rights advocate.  I am not saying he is not good at his job, but I can safely assume his bias towards the church and Bible.  I found some raw footage of him interviewing a priest some years ago, and for about 10 minutes he berated this guy over homosexuality, and same-sex marriage.  This priest had  been accused of abuse, and had offered interviews to local media, but Tom made his views fairly obvious in this piece.  And as a disclaimer for whatever I may be accused of in this statement, I have been close with LGBT folks, and I love them like I love others, that is what I am called to do as a Christian.

There will be more damage done tonight; how many hearts will have another reason to push God away, to push Church away.  Tonight will divide.  I know you think this is an investigation to find the truth, I highly disagree.  This is a news story,  sensationalized under #metoo, and it is also sweeps month...#metoo has been in the national news, this story will certainly grab people's attention and bring in the extra ratings they need, to bring in the advertising dollars they need. The timing of when Tom put this out is not a mistake.
Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 06:43:22 am »

Thank you Agatha.

I agree with GTA. The Church (capital C) will be defamed tonight. Fox 9 was told that the investigation will conclude within weeks and that Evergreen would be able to address this at that time. Fox 9 chose not to wait. They are simply giving Suzanne a platform and not investigating.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:45:17 am by Digital Lynch Mob » Logged
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 07:01:34 am »

Agatha, thanks.

Amen.
Free now
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 07:14:49 am »

https://onecry.com/join/

Thursday is the National Day of Prayer♥️ Joining you in prayer!
G_Prince

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 08:55:47 am »

I appreciate your post Agatha. Always full of wisdom and fairmindedness.

To those who claim this is destroying the Church (capital C), Christians (like all faiths) have been targeted, discriminated, tortured, and killed for many centuries and continue to face persecution in countries around the world. A news report doesn't even register in comparison to these atrocities, so please tone down the apocalyptic remarks.

The true issue with the Church (capital C) is its authoritarianism, which allows sexual (and other forms of) abuse to flourish within the leadership. We've seen it in the Catholic church, as well as the protestant and evangelical denominations. Wherever religious leaders circle the wagons to protect their own, abuse is not only possible, it is predictable.

For those decrying this "attempt to destroy" ECC I ask: is your church based on a community or a personality? Why does an accusation against one of your pastors threaten to destroy your entire church?  

Here's an easy way to find out if you're in a cult. If you find yourself asking the question, "am I in a cult?" the answer is yes. -Stephen Colbert
Mango
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 09:03:28 am »

...please tone down the apocalyptic remarks.

For those decrying this "attempt to destroy" ECC I ask: is your church based on a community or a personality? Why does an accusation against one of your pastors threaten to destroy your entire church?  

I believe the word used was defamed, not destroyed. No one is being apocalyptic.
G_Prince

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 10:04:51 am »

The goal is to destroy ECC, but you won't be successful.  Because you assume ECC is full of unhealthy Christians who put certain leaders up on pedestals that are worshiped as idols; you are sorely  mistaken.  We worship a one true God and His word is our only idol.   

For bible believing and obeying Christians, the weight of this action should be heavy, and understood the divisive nature of this. Satan's objective is to divide and conquer.   This will be used in the kingdom of God to deceive, and turn people away from God.  Yes, Christians have been targeted, discriminated, tortured and killed for many centuries.  But now you see satan is pitting Christians against Christians, once again.  What a weird and sad and deceptive sort of persecution. 

G prince, I don't know what you do and don't believe, but from what I have read from you, I am not sure it is the God of the bible anymore, but your own pieced together form of spirituality.  I pray you find your way back into authentic relationship with Christ, if you have not already.  God greatly values you. 

No the goal is to remove a potential sexual predator from a position of power so he will no longer have the ability to abuse. If that is somehow antithetical to your church, than I strongly suggest you reconsider what your church is all about. For me, if credible accusations were made against a leader of my church, I would demand that leadership take it seriously and provide a transparent investigation to clearly determine either guilt or innocence. If I saw leaders and church members circling the wagons like they seem to be doing in ECC, I would find another church ASAP. ECC is in trouble not because of the accusations but because of the way it appears to be handling the situation.

Here's an easy way to find out if you're in a cult. If you find yourself asking the question, "am I in a cult?" the answer is yes. -Stephen Colbert
Greentruth

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 10:18:28 am »

I’m not judging anyone or calling anyone out but the desensitized world we live in is from the pit. The devil is sly and is tricky. It’s like the frog in the frying pan who gets cooked slowly, with the heat being turned up just enough not to be noticed. The evil one has been doing this since he was ejected from Gods presence. I look back how much has changed in just the last twenty years. From the exposure to sex and violence being ingrained in even our youngest. To the point of Christians attacking Christians on social media and even now the nightly news. My heart is broken in this reality. My prayers go out to all, that we would recognize the reality of where we are at. As I say, I don’t judge anyone, as the Lord is the judge, and we will each give account before tha Lord one day. Forgive me if I come across harsh, but this is the reality today.
Badger
Private Forum Access
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 12:38:51 pm »

No the goal is to remove a potential sexual predator from a position of power so he will no longer have the ability to abuse. If that is somehow antithetical to your church, than I strongly suggest you reconsider what your church is all about. For me, if credible accusations were made against a leader of my church, I would demand that leadership take it seriously and provide a transparent investigation to clearly determine either guilt or innocence. If I saw leaders and church members circling the wagons like they seem to be doing in ECC, I would find another church ASAP. ECC is in trouble not because of the accusations but because of the way it appears to be handling the situation.

Well said G_Prince!!

Supporting victims of abuse telling their stories is not persecution.  The initiating action in clergy abuse is not victims coming forward.  The initiating action in narratives of clergy abuse is the abuse carried out by the abusive leader, not the victim.  If you really want to worry about Satan attacking your church (small c), I would worry more about an attack from within than one from outside. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: