Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:34:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: scripture songs, etc.  (Read 29978 times)
Mr. Toad
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: February 13, 2008, 06:59:18 pm »

I found this quote about GCx as I was surfing the web:

"Although I am not currently in a Great Commission Church, I have been for 90% of my life. You know, I am so grateful to have grown up in a movement of people that truly loved God. The love and zeal for God in the lives of the people who started Great Commission was contagious. There are many whose lives & eternities are forever altered because of it. It was not perfect, but I can honestly say, I have been blessed because of it! I was teaching Bible class to my kids today and we were talking about God being King. One of the passages we read was from Rev. 19. I have read and sang those verses most of my life. I learned them because of all of the scripture songs Great Commission was so famous for in the old days! As I sat there watching my children excited about how Jesus will appear one day, I was overwhelmed with thankfulness that I have had these images in my mind most of my life! And I didn't even realize it until today! So thanks GCM and whoever wrote that song!!?

"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

-Ratty, from Wind in the Willows
exshep
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 08:33:05 pm »

I always loved the Ps 98 chorus.  I miss that one.

Had friend in Columbus church 80's and 90s. Member left in 1993  Involved GC in Texas  2005-2007.  Empathy to both  with  positive and negative aspects.
MidnightRider
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 10:53:45 am »

Quote from: "exshep"
I always loved the Ps 98 chorus.  I miss that one.

As much as I find fault with GCx, it was good that they sang from the Bible. So few churches sing from the Bible. Why not? The wording is divinely inspired.

ObGCxCriticism: Some of the tunes left a lot to be desired. And they chose mostly the happy-fun-feel-good portions of the Bible for singing. Psalm 83 is in the Bible, too.
Truth Lover
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 04:39:28 pm »

We still sing many of the old Scripture songs ~ only the best ones, where the tunes are good and appropriate.  We also sing hymns, and only the very best of the new new songs, ~ but the Scripture songs are our favorites!  We presently sing: Psalm 98; Revelation 19:11-16; Rev. 5:9-14~(as a trio special); Psalm 67; Psalm 115; Psalm 130; Psalm 32:1-2, 10,11; Psalm 33:18--19a, 20-22; Psalm 25:8-10, 4-5; Psalm 25:12-15; Psalm 55:22,16,17; Psalm 59:16,17; Psalm 86:11-12; Psalm 113:1-6; Psalm 119:97-98; Psalm 121; Psalm 123:1-2; Psalm 130:3-8; Prov. 3:5-8; Isaiah 12:5.6; Isaiah 60:1-3; Lam. 3:22-23; Daniel 2:20-23; Hosea 6:3; Micah 4:5; Micah 6:8; Zeph. 3:17; John 13:34-35; Acts 1:8; Acts 2:42; Romans 1:16/5:8,1; Romans 12:1-2; 2 Cor. 10:3-5; Col. 3:12-15, 17; 1 Tim. 3:16; 2 Tim. 4:7-8; Heb. 4:12; Jude 24-25...  We introduce "new" old ones all the time!  These are sung on Sunday mornings at our worship service by the whole congregation, (as well as in smaller group settings), having been taught, over time, to the people in our church who were not in GC.  They love them!  We may be one of the few churches still singing these regularly.  Since we are a relatively small church, these are extra encouraging to us, and are especially refreshing after all the difficult years right before leaving GC.
 Thankfully, God's Word never changes!!

Truth Lover
Romans 11:36 ~ "For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things.  To Him be the glory forever.  Amen."
maranatha
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 07:56:22 pm »

"it was good that they sang from the Bible."

Yes.  I seriously loved using the bible as a songbook.  

There was something very cool about it.

Of course, it made it easier that everyone used the NASB version back then.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 08:36:16 pm »

Hi, I'm new here. I used to belong to the South Fellowship of Solid Rock in Columbus.  I, too, loved the old Scripture songs we used to sing. Especially Psalm 98 and Jude 24, 25. Some of those songs were so beautiful they almost felt like they were lifing me right up to heaven.

It was also at Solid Rock that I learned that "Victory in Jesus" sounds really great with a banjo accompaniment.  Smiley

There was a song we used to sing in the South Fellowship that John Hopler had written. As I recall, the first verse went something like:

Abraham was a man of faith
For the Lord had promised him a son
And made him wait and wait and wait.
When he obeyed the Lord, and offered up that son,
The Lord said, "Abe, your joy has just begun."

Has anyone else ever heard that one?
MidnightRider

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 02:12:09 pm »

Quote from: "Huldah"
There was a song we used to sing in the South Fellowship that John Hopler had written. As I recall, the first verse went something like:

Well he got out there and believed in God (he got out there and believed in God)
He got out there and believed in God (he got out there and belived in God)
Abraham claimed the victory
Because he got out there and believed in God.

David didn't fear Goliath's rod
Saying, "Who is this uncircumcised Philistine who taunts the armies of the living God?"
He picked some stones up from off the ground
And soon Goliath came a-tumbling down.

Well he got out there and believed in God (he got out there and believed in God)
He got out there and believed in God (he got out there and belived in God)
David claimed the victory
Because he got out there and believed in God.

I can't remember all of the last verse (about Jesus). Somebody help me out.
Truth Lover
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 03:59:32 pm »

The Abraham verse is first, then Moses, Joshua.  Then the "David" verse comes after the "Joshua" verse, and then the Jesus verse.   And, of course, you put the appropriate name in the right spot at the end of the chorus.  Yeah, I heard H. sing it at least once in person.  It's definitely not a group song for singing, musically.  But it was always fun to hear him sing it (he's not a great singer) and of course the congregation joining in on the chorus!    Smiley

~ ~ ~ ~

Moses was a very brave man with old Pharaoh behind him and the Red Sea in front of him.  There he had made his stand, saying, "Children of Israel, you quit your grumbling and behave, 'cause whether you like it or not, you're all gonna get saved."

Chorus ~ Get out there and believe in God...

Joshua was a mighty man, as he led the Jes through the Jordan and into the promised land, saying, "Brethren, forty years has been a long wait.  Let's get our feet wet and take the step of faith."

David verse  (see above at MidnightRider)    ~ minor correction according to my blue book ~ "as he took some stones up off from the ground, and before you knew Goliath came a tumbling down."

Jesus, no other man you'll find, as He went to the cross and there He bled for the sins of all mankind.  For when the Father said, "take this cup, My Son."  He said, "Not my will, but Thine be done."

Chorus ~ Get out there and believe in God...  Jesus is our victory because He got out there and believed in God.

Truth Lover
Romans 11:36 ~ "For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things.  To Him be the glory forever.  Amen."
MidnightRider

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 08:28:10 am »

Quote from: "Truth Lover"
The Abraham verse is first, then Moses, Joshua.  Then the "David" verse comes after the "Joshua" verse, and then the Jesus verse.  
I think we were short-changed down in TX. We didn't get all those verses.   Sad
Truth Lover
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 03:56:46 pm »

Sorry about that!  Well, now that you have them you can enjoy reading them or singing them yourself ~ but I wouldn't recommend asking H. to sing them for you!   :wink:

Truth Lover
MidnightRider

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 09:13:09 pm »

Quote from: "Truth Lover"
Sorry about that!  Well, now that you have them you can enjoy reading them or singing them yourself [...]

I don't think I had thought of that song in years until this discussion started. Probably won't be singing it.

Just the other day, though, I was listening to "The Good Book Song" from the soundtrack to "A Mighty Wind".   Smiley
exshep
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 07:23:19 pm »

Quote from: "Huldah"
Hi, I'm new here. I used to belong to the South Fellowship of Solid Rock in Columbus.  I, too, loved the old Scripture songs we used to sing. Especially Psalm 98 and Jude 24, 25. Some of those songs were so beautiful they almost felt like they were lifing me right up to heaven.

It was also at Solid Rock that I learned that "Victory in Jesus" sounds really great with a banjo accompaniment.  :)

I forgot about that one.

Had friend in Columbus church 80's and 90s. Member left in 1993  Involved GC in Texas  2005-2007.  Empathy to both  with  positive and negative aspects.
TurnLeft

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 02:43:53 am »

I agree--the Scripture songs have been priceless for me!

I have read on this forum, though, that some people are kind of "sent back" to the old GCx days when they hear the songs.  Instead of those passages of Scripture being full of truth and comfort for these people, they are vivid reminders of past pain.  That is the kind of heartbreaking affect that many outsiders just cannot understand.  Lord, heal them, please.  Restore the years the locusts have eaten!
saved
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 11:29:36 am »

I agree--the Scripture songs have been priceless for me!

I have read on this forum, though, that some people are kind of "sent back" to the old GCx days when they hear the songs.  Instead of those passages of Scripture being full of truth and comfort for these people, they are vivid reminders of past pain.  That is the kind of heartbreaking affect that many outsiders just cannot understand.  Lord, heal them, please.  Restore the years the locusts have eaten!

Amen!
wwippel

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 03:31:06 pm »

I really miss the scripture songs-- I have taught them to my children, and we sing them instead of grace at dinner. If anyone knows where you could get recordings of these, I would love to have them! My favorites were Rev 19, Jude 24,25, and Hosea 6
anonymoustoday
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 08:12:31 am »

It's been so many years since my GCx days, that I had all but forgotten about these songs.  When I saw this post, I had to go look up Jude 24-25 and Hosea 6.  I started laughing to myself.  Those "songs" were ripped and used so badly out of the context the Scriptures they quote that it is now funny to me!!

Jude 24-25 used to be sung by us with the implication that since we were THE right church, God was keeping US from stumbling and making us to stand in His presence without blame.  Yet, that is not the true meaning at all.  The passage is not about any given denomination, but it is about God who enables ALL His children to stand in Him even though the world has turned to false religion.  And I find it even more amusing that GCx elders had no clue about how to implement verse 22.

Hosea 6:3 was never exegeted in our church, nor read in context, so we just sang the song blisfully ignorant of the true context. 

"Come, let us return to the LORD. For He has torn us, but He will heal us; He has wounded us, but He will bandage us....What shall I do with you, O Ephraim? What shall I do with you, O Judah? For your loyalty is like a morning cloud And like the dew which goes away early. Therefore I have hewn them in pieces by the prophets; I have slain them by the words of My mouth; And the judgments on you are like the light that goes forth."

Guess I no longer get "taken back" to GCx when I think of those songs, but I sure do get reminded of how shallow my understanding of the Scriptures were and how misled I was by "elders" who also lacked understanding.

theresearchpersona

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 05:45:38 pm »

It's been so many years since my GCx days, that I had all but forgotten about these songs.  When I saw this post, I had to go look up Jude 24-25 and Hosea 6.  I started laughing to myself.  Those "songs" were ripped and used so badly out of the context the Scriptures they quote that it is now funny to me!!

Jude 24-25 used to be sung by us with the implication that since we were THE right church, God was keeping US from stumbling and making us to stand in His presence without blame.  Yet, that is not the true meaning at all.  The passage is not about any given denomination, but it is about God who enables ALL His children to stand in Him even though the world has turned to false religion.  And I find it even more amusing that GCx elders had no clue about how to implement verse 22.

Hosea 6:3 was never exegeted in our church, nor read in context, so we just sang the song blisfully ignorant of the true context. 

"Come, let us return to the LORD. For He has torn us, but He will heal us; He has wounded us, but He will bandage us....What shall I do with you, O Ephraim? What shall I do with you, O Judah? For your loyalty is like a morning cloud And like the dew which goes away early. Therefore I have hewn them in pieces by the prophets; I have slain them by the words of My mouth; And the judgments on you are like the light that goes forth."

Guess I no longer get "taken back" to GCx when I think of those songs, but I sure do get reminded of how shallow my understanding of the Scriptures were and how misled I was by "elders" who also lacked understanding.

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience! : D I like,

exshep
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 04:18:13 pm »

I found this quote about GCx as I was surfing the web:

"Although I am not currently in a Great Commission Church, I have been for 90% of my life. You know, I am so grateful to have grown up in a movement of people that truly loved God. The love and zeal for God in the lives of the people who started Great Commission was contagious. There are many whose lives & eternities are forever altered because of it. It was not perfect, but I can honestly say, I have been blessed because of it! I was teaching Bible class to my kids today and we were talking about God being King. One of the passages we read was from Rev. 19. I have read and sang those verses most of my life. I learned them because of all of the scripture songs Great Commission was so famous for in the old days! As I sat there watching my children excited about how Jesus will appear one day, I was overwhelmed with thankfulness that I have had these images in my mind most of my life! And I didn't even realize it until today! So thanks GCM and whoever wrote that song!!?

You can't argue that one at all. I remember the enthusiasm of the short lived Ohio Christian Fellowship in Athens OH  1982-1984.  The energy still lives on in Hope Fellowship in Denton, TX.

When it fails, a lot of  members get sideswiped in the process.  What make the complaints of the forum so tricky is that it can be sporadic.   If there were not good times. we would have stayed as long as many of us did. 

FrancisConley

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 10:52:37 pm »

missing PS 67. I would like to work with it.
nolongergci
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 07:58:50 am »

The scripture songs are some of the things I miss the most about GCI. We once counted that we had almost 500 verses memorized through scripture songs! I still sing them these many years later.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: