Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:59:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Things Positive  (Read 6866 times)
Left
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: November 03, 2007, 08:13:24 pm »

I feel it's only fair to share the good that came from my GCM experience.  Having fallen away from God for a few years in college, it was a great place to meet other Christians on campus.

If the church hadn't been conveniently located on campus or attracted so many cool, unique individuals, I probably would've turned church down still thinking it was filled with boring or spoiled teen girls who just want to leave people out.

I had a lot of great times and conversations as well close friendships that led me to be excited about God all over again.  It was hard to leave when I did, and I really waited it out until I had to reach a point that my relationship with God was just more important than trying to hold on to the friendships.

I miss them.
pvitartas
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 12:12:55 pm »

I miss some friends myself. 

Likely the most important thing I got from Solid Rock at Ohio State - I read the scriptures cover to cover over and over again.  Knowledge of the scriptures have served me well since.  I'm more convinced than ever that the Bible is the foundation of learning.

Today, I am a happy practicing Catholic!
fidelis
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 09:10:06 am »

Hi, pvitartas! I liked your comment on this forum. I'd sure like to know a little bit more about your experience. My daughter is in the GC church in Des Moines. She left Catholicism and has become very anti-Catholic. I understand that there is a lot of "deprogramming" of Catholics who get recruited into GC. If you would, I'd like to talk to you. My name is Linda. My cell phone # is: 515-201-7631.

Thanks, pvitartas!
pvitartas
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:35:12 am »

Hi Linda!

I 'phoned and left a message - I also sent you a personal note.

I found that many members of Solid Rock, Ohio State Univ, 1976 - 1976 were former Catholics.  In fact, in a blitz to the University of Dayton, a Catholic School, we played a part in "saving" many students.

I think RC's of my day were used to the idea of clergy being authoritative; so many of us found the dictatorial style of the church leaders, or "elders" (funny, one was all of 21...just a kid!) fairly easy, or at least not unusual, to live under.

The campuses were, and remain, susceptible to what amounts to sheep stealing by Great Commission Churches.  Young undergrads, going through tough emotional times away from home, can find a "family" in H2O or other euphemisms GCM Churches use.  The "sheep" are stolen from their home churches, and possibly from their life as a student as Leaders seek to aggressively get their new converts to "knit in."

I pray that your child isn't "stolen," but suggest you keep the door lovingly open for him to return home.  He will get plenty of guilt trips from the GCM "Church," any parent giving even more pressure may close the door to escape.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: