Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:56:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Backstory and Proposal  (Read 8283 times)
Child_of_Arkham
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: January 28, 2017, 06:34:54 pm »

Hello all,

My name is Child_of_Arkham. I am from Omaha, NE, and I am a former member of Candlewood Church. I am still seeking God, just not from the mouth of someone who twists it to control others to benefit themselves.

Before I gave my life to Christ, I was the victim of narcissistic abuse and parental alienation from a sociopathic father and stepmother. I was told I was supposed be a certain way in every fiber of my being to not only babysit their emotions and give them what they want 24/7 but to also ensure that I received shame and blame so they didn't have to deal with life. Basically, they both have Narcissistic Personality Disorder and/or Anti-Social Personality Disorder. It would take another whole post to explain this, but in a nutshell life for me was stressful, full of confusion, anxiety, depression all because they didn't wanna deal with their issues. Luckily, I have a mom and stepdad who are both saved and have been a great blessing in both my life and rehabilitation.

I first found about Candlewood during my last semester at the University of Nebraska at Omaha when a dude named Xavier Rodriguez wanted to talk to me about God. I invited him, and he shared me the gospel. After hesitating for a few moments, I surrendered my life to Jesus. Since that Thanksgiving week of 2009, I never looked back. At first, Candlewood appeared to be awesome. I was a social outcast for most of my schooling, but now I suddenly had a large group of friends I could hang out and talk with. I felt a sense of belonging.

Unfortunately, that's about the only good thing that came out of this. I have no doubt there are many people in Candlewood that mean well, want to do good, and want to seek God. The problem is that Candlewood, as well as the rest of the Great Commission proclaim a twisted version of the gospel that is designed to control and draw in moths to a flame.

On the outer, it looks like a welcoming Christian church. The big reason for that is if you are a member of Candlewood you are not allowed to live your own life, let alone be your own person. I do know that God changes a person over time as that person pursues them, but God does not force his way onto you. This church does. When they tell you to be on mission, they want your every thought, activity, and word to be constantly outreaching for the lost. The Bible undoubtedly wants us to do that, but Candlewood wants you to base your life around itself. You cannot pursue dreams, have time to yourself, or even moments of privacy. They demand you to get under their control or else they give you the cold shoulder, even if it was just life happening.

As an abuse victim with a lot of post traumatic stress disorder, I was disciplined a lot and for the stupidest reasons. I recall a couple of incidents involving one of the pastors, Rory WHITNEY. He pulled me aside because of the music on my iPod, citing that I should be careful what I expose myself to. In Great Commission speak, that means, “You are not allowed/suppose to listen or partake in anything that we don't consider the qualities of a true Christian.” Just because you're a metal head and like bands like Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, and even Slayer does not mean you are a devil worshipper. It all comes down to one’s relationship with God, which Gary Osborn, the other pastor, and Rory WHITNEY think they have the right to dictate.

Another incident took place at Prarie Wind Elementary school when we had our Sunday service. I had a huge anxiety attack and was crying profusely. What does the caring pastor do? He takes me to a corner in the back hallway and proceeds to talk down to me, citing problems with my relationship with God, not reading my Bible enough, and not keeping spiritual warfare at bay. He basically said my anxiety attack was my fault. When I try and defend myself, he calls me impossible and waves goodbye with a smile on his face, leaving me in misery.

The Great Commission is Jim McCotter’s “Mein Kaumpft”. They act like they are above everyone else and like they are the only ones truly doing God’s work. Rory may talk against pride and sin, but I have seen him on several occasions allow himself in his sermons to get away with it.

I still seek God. Since finding out the truth about the Great Commission, I have officially unfriended everyone whom I know is still associated with Candlewood and other churches within the movement. I miss the friendships I had, but I pray that they wake up and get the &$@# out. They have no idea how much they are being brainwashed. What really scares me is that this entire movement has been able to flourish and look valid despite many people trying to call them out and end them, including with Candlewood back around the turn of the millennium.

I know this isn't much of a backstory, but I do want to propose something. We have enough evidence on this website to shut down the Great Commission once and for all. We do have freedom of religion, but religion should never abuse and control. These churches operate with the facade of a nondenominational Christian church only to recruit people to become zombie soldiers to perpetuate the wet dream of a narcissistic cult leader who now is in shambles.

I propose that we stand together as a body of believers in our own communities at the grassroots level and stand up to these wicked farmers. Like I said, there are probably many well meaning people in these organizations, but they are being brainwashed by cultist moral hypocrites. I am still healing from the abuse I endured from my dad, stepmom, and Candlewood. When I am ready, I will try and amass a group to make like Jesus did with the Pharisees and call out the wicked farmers that are in control of Candlewood Church.

All we need are large groups who are unified in exposing the truth. We do not even need to outnumber them. We just need enough to overpower them and stop their false ministry. I desire the world to know Jesus, but it should never have to cost the sanctity of someone’s life. It's time to end their carnage.

Ned_Flanders
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 01:07:23 pm »

Hi Child_of_Arkham,
I googled "cult recovery ministry" and got many results for organizations involved in helping people recover from dangerous religious groups.  Have you considered getting involved at this level?  I would imagine many of these organizations have heard about GCx. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=cult+recovery+ministry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: