Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:29:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Labeled  (Read 3653 times)
DroCK
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: December 09, 2015, 04:46:09 am »

This may not make sense because I am sharing some experiences that have wounded me.

Because my short time with H2O and the GCM church was intense but, I was not brainwashed nor had it effected my relationship with God.  It only effects my relationships in churches.   They kind of set the standard for how relationships should be in the church.  They were intentional about things.  In which, after 12 years after leaving the GCM and countless churches attended, I have not found a church that was about forming strong relationships and going the extra mile to help somebody out.  Things were great for a few months, my relationship with God started and I had fellow Christians who supported me. 

It wasn't until a H2O pastor reconnected from fundraising support for him to go full time pastor to formed his clique of H2O leaders.   Started to not I didn't fit their mold.   I didn't have a summer leadership experience Estes Park with them.  I didn't think GCM pastors and their sermons were awesome.  Nor did i model my life after "Wild at Heart" book. 

I am not sure when it started, but they began labeling me.  At the time I was a baby Christian and was called a "Drainer".   Another instance was when the most influential GCM pastor's called me a "victim just like my mother".   One other time,  he most influential GCM pastor and the H2O pastor pulled me aside and pointed out that I was sinning by having "false humility".   They knew I liked a girl there and removed me from being groomed to be a potential leader.  Or it was because one of the small group leaders (pastor's son) like her too. 

College wasn't working for me, so I joined the military.  I left for months of training only to come back and live/work near home.   I went back to GCM and started to attend again.   The H2O Pastor was now one of the head pastors (because he was able to make another pastor quit, nobody talked about I why he quit or what happened).   

One Sunday, the H2O pastor came up to me and said "I don't know where you have been, but I think you should leave the church."
Hope
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 10:05:35 pm »

It makes sense. I remember the labels at the great commission church. I remember seeing the labels that were put on those who left before me and knew what I risked if I left. During my time in the GCC church they would use the term FAT:faithful/available/trustworthy so you wouldn't leave. If they thought you weren't committed enough or sharing enough, leaders would approach you. There were times I seen other labels being thrown around and learned to avoid them.

I have learned to focus on what is important and to lead by example. The church I attend now wasn't so welcoming or too keen to becoming friends. I chose to stay, enjoy the fellowship, and get to know those who went there. They have since been more welcoming, able to develop friendships, and able to confide/trust in others. I was given the advice that no church is perfect by a well trusted person.   
theresearchpersona
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 06:57:33 pm »

This may not make sense because I am sharing some experiences that have wounded me.

Because my short time with H2O and the GCM church was intense but, I was not brainwashed nor had it effected my relationship with God.  It only effects my relationships in churches.   They kind of set the standard for how relationships should be in the church.  They were intentional about things.  In which, after 12 years after leaving the GCM and countless churches attended, I have not found a church that was about forming strong relationships and going the extra mile to help somebody out.  Things were great for a few months, my relationship with God started and I had fellow Christians who supported me. 

It wasn't until a H2O pastor reconnected from fundraising support for him to go full time pastor to formed his clique of H2O leaders.   Started to not I didn't fit their mold.   I didn't have a summer leadership experience Estes Park with them.  I didn't think GCM pastors and their sermons were awesome.  Nor did i model my life after "Wild at Heart" book. 

I am not sure when it started, but they began labeling me.  At the time I was a baby Christian and was called a "Drainer".   Another instance was when the most influential GCM pastor's called me a "victim just like my mother".   One other time,  he most influential GCM pastor and the H2O pastor pulled me aside and pointed out that I was sinning by having "false humility".   They knew I liked a girl there and removed me from being groomed to be a potential leader.  Or it was because one of the small group leaders (pastor's son) like her too. 

College wasn't working for me, so I joined the military.  I left for months of training only to come back and live/work near home.   I went back to GCM and started to attend again.   The H2O Pastor was now one of the head pastors (because he was able to make another pastor quit, nobody talked about I why he quit or what happened).   

One Sunday, the H2O pastor came up to me and said "I don't know where you have been, but I think you should leave the church."

It's good to name names by the way, so other sheep may be warned of the wolves 'identities and avoid them. I know people don't like to do this, but it's important. Just note, always be honest.

Sorry about their messing with you man. Sad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: