Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:55:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Darling Question?  (Read 21669 times)
marie
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: July 02, 2017, 08:44:53 am »

Does anyone know the History of Mark Darling in Ames, and his time as a deacons.
 I know he was asked to step down as a Deacon by some other Deacon.
Does any one know who the men were that approached him and asked him to step down??

It would be interesting to know if they are involved in his life anymore.
They seem to be some of the only people that have been effective in addressing some issues in his life.

I have also heard him talk about this time in his life, and he tells the story as if he was so attacked and wounded by this reproof.
How long was he an Elder in Ames?   

Please respond if you know more about Mark's early Ames leadership.

braveheart
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:00:56 pm »

The pastors in Ames at the time of Mark's church discipline that I can remember were Terry Cox, John Meyer, Tim Rude and Brent Knox.  I believe they are all still associated with GCM. Brent is in MN, Terry I believe is still in IA, and John (last I knew) was in CO. (I don't know anything about Tim Rude's whereabouts.) Brent and Mark have shared openly about how different they are, and how they have had to work very hard at their relationship. I believe Mark respects Brent's opinion and counsel and of course works closely with him currently.

Unfortunately the abused without help become abusers. Mark has spoken about his father using anger and rage as a weapon with him. With the successes of Evergreen Mark was given a lot of power and perhaps he began thinking of himself as untouchable. The current public "calling out" of his inappropriate behavior will hopefully be a sobering event similar to the Iowa church discipline.
Make no mistake though....Mark Bowen and all the Mpls pastoral staff (at that time) knew the specifics relating to these sexual misconduct allegations against Mark Darling. They all knew and they all agreed that there would be no church discipline. We will see what will happen with this re-examination.
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 10:17:47 am »

Interesting. Thanks.

Do you have specific knowledge that they know the specifics of the situation and chose no discipline, or are you speaking to the way the system works in general? Or, would you prefer not to say?

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
marie
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 10:34:49 pm »

Does anyone know the History of Mark Darling in Ames, and his time as a deacon??

I know he was asked to step down as a Deacon by some other Deacons.  I do not know if it was the Elders of the church, but from what I understood it was the deacons. 

Does any one know who the men were that approached him and asked him to step down??
They saw some pride issues in Mark's life.  He had to step down.  From things he has shared in his Renew Tapes from his early Evergreen days, he indicated that he essentially did not open his Bible for a year.
 He worked at and Arcade and listened to Jim McCotter tapes over and over.  These helped him grasp the LOVE of God, and the forgiveness of God. He indicated that he struggled with depression during this time and was isolated from the believers. 
Maybe this was the last time he was held accountability for his pride.  Was he repentant of his pride issues, or was he just bitter about this reproof in his life.  He has told the story that indicted that it was an attack by Satan and it was very wounding.

The Deacons in Ames, seem to be some of the only people that have been effective in addressing some pride issues in his life.
 I have also heard him talk about this time in his life, and he tells the story as if he was so attacked and wounded by this reproof.
How long was he an Elder in Ames before moving to Minneapolis?   

ustawannabee
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 05:16:51 pm »

Tim Rude is in Dez Moines. Terry Box is in CO but no longer with GCx

Now I am free to be me in Christ!
Rypick
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 07:47:31 pm »

The pastors in Ames at the time of Mark's church discipline that I can remember were Terry Cox, John Meyer, Tim Rude and Brent Knox.  I believe they are all still associated with GCM. Brent is in MN, Terry I believe is still in IA, and John (last I knew) was in CO. (I don't know anything about Tim Rude's whereabouts.) Brent and Mark have shared openly about how different they are, and how they have had to work very hard at their relationship. I believe Mark respects Brent's opinion and counsel and of course works closely with him currently.

Unfortunately the abused without help become abusers. Mark has spoken about his father using anger and rage as a weapon with him. With the successes of Evergreen Mark was given a lot of power and perhaps he began thinking of himself as untouchable. The current public "calling out" of his inappropriate behavior will hopefully be a sobering event similar to the Iowa church discipline.
Make no mistake though....Mark Bowen and all the Mpls pastoral staff (at that time) knew the specifics relating to these sexual misconduct allegations against Mark Darling. They all knew and they all agreed that there would be no church discipline. We will see what will happen with this re-examination.

Should have stopped after the first paragraph, braveheart. Paragraph one was relevant to the topic, and mostly impartial. The second paragraph was nothing but biased, speculative drivel.
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 09:38:34 am »

Actually, it sounds like Brave Heart may have lost track of some of the former pastors, but in his last paragraph it sounds to me like he knows some things about what the pastors know but have been sworn to secrecy.  Not drivel.

I'm thankful he/she can remain anonymous because it isn't about Brave Heart.  It is about what the Evergreen pastors have known.
Rypick
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 10:12:10 am »

No, it's drivel. Unless you, GodisFaithful, or braveheart have some sort of proof to base the comments on. Why would you assume braveheart must know some things? You don't have to know things to speculate, and that's what that last paragraph is.
Shamednomore
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 10:31:35 am »

Much speculation that Mark Bowen and Doug Patterson also knew about the allegations and covered it up and continue to cover up what they know.  Hence the lawyer being hired to protect everyone vs independent investigation
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 10:33:02 am »

You can have your opinion about drivel and I can have mine.

He/She says "Make no mistake", so I think this person is somehow in the know.

And it sounds like he/she is in the know about back in the day in Ames.

And there have been three or so other people on this forum, one who I think I know who it is, who have said that there is some kind of signed pact among the pastors at Evergreen that they are sworn to secrecy and none of them will break that pact.  

You don't have to believe it.  I do.

I think it is an important piece of the puzzle, and it is consistent with the pastors of Evergreen wanting to control the findings of this "investigation" and the weird way they seem to be secretive about the BOT.  Hush hush. Sweep stuff under the rug.
Rypick
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 10:33:45 am »

Much speculation that Mark Bowen and Doug Patterson also knew about the allegations and covered it up and continue to cover up what they know.  Hence the lawyer being hired to protect everyone vs independent investigation

Correct, unfounded speculation, commonly cited as if it is fact.
Rypick
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 10:35:40 am »

You can have your opinion about drivel and I can have mine.

He/She says "Make no mistake", so I think this person is somehow in the know.

And it sounds like he/she is in the know about back in the day in Ames.

And there have been three or so other people on this forum, one who I think I know who it is, who have said that there is some kind of signed pact among the pastors at Evergreen that they are sworn to secrecy and none of them will break that pact.  

You don't have to believe it.  I do.

I think it is an important piece of the puzzle, and it is consistent with the pastors of Evergreen wanting to control the findings of this "investigation" and the weird way they seem to be secretive about the BOT.  Hush hush. Sweep stuff under the rug.

Correct. You can believe whatever you want, as long as you don't state it as fact. Especially if it is inflammatory and slanderous of others.
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 11:57:13 am »

I don't care if you insult me over this.

I stand by my concern of Evergreen pastors being secretive about past reports of sexual misconduct.

Yes, I am serious and I do not consider it gossip.  I consider it part of the darkness that needs to come to light.
Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 04:36:39 pm »

Its probably also worth repeating that the investigator is not representing GCC or Mark or anyone involved. She has been hired to find the truth. Evergreen has it's own separate lawyer. So continuing to say that the investigator is representing Evergreen or Mark is either misguided or a lie.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 07:26:02 pm »

DLM, are you saying that there are two lawyers involved? There's Joan Harris who's conducting the investigation, but I was under the impression that she was hired by Evergreen. Is this correct? Also, who is the other lawyer, and who hired him or her?

I don't recall anyone saying that Harris represented Evergreen but rather that she was hired and paid by them, and had attorney-client privilege with them. If this is incorrect, please straighten me out, because I'm confused by your post.

UPDATE: I was looking through some of the posts from the past couple of weeks. Apparently someone did say that Harris represented Evergreen. Just wanted to correct what I originally wrote about that.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 09:13:06 pm by Huldah » Logged
Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 06:53:33 am »

I am saying Evergreen has received counsel from another lawyer and that Joan Harris is not representing Evergreen.
Barb
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 07:04:12 am »

DLM, are referring to the lawyer that is on the BOT?
Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 08:34:09 am »

I don't know that.
Barb
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 10:55:48 am »

GTA, I wasn’t implying anything. I know there is an attorney on the BOT, and I was just seeking clarity as to whether the lawyer referred to in DLM’s post was one and the same. Thank you for confirming that it is not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: