Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:56:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BLINDSIDED By McCotter Theology  (Read 10464 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: March 11, 2018, 03:15:38 pm »

BLINDSIDED BY McCotter Theology

AudioEnglish.net defines blindside (or blindsided) as “Catch unawares, especially with harmful consequences”

Baker’s Dictionary of Evangelical Biblical Theology quotes Ralph E. Enlow, Jr. saying “spiritual blindness can also afflict believers who fail to perceive their true spiritual condition. To avoid the plague of spiritual blindness and escape the condemnation of leading others into spiritual ruin, believers must be quick to appropriate and obey the Word of God”.

The New Testament says of believers, “For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they will keep you from being useless or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. The person who lacks these things is blind and shortsighted, and has forgotten the cleansing from his past sins.”  (2 Peter 1:8-9 HCSB)

We don’t typically think that believers can be spiritually blind, especially ourselves.  Recently, I was made aware by the Holy Spirit how very prideful, rude and unloving I have been (for years) toward some in my life I should have very much appreciated and treated with humility and tenderness.  God brought about in me a grief and regret over behaviors I was unaware of or blind to until then, that were actually arrogant and hurtful.  I have heard well-known mature christians say the closer they grow to God the more aware they become of things they once thought innocent were actually sinful and hurtful.  The things I believe they are referring to are those of the inner life rather than the outward one.  

There are schemes Satan has to catch us unaware, and seem to be temptations not apparent to man's natural eye.  They don’t appear to be direct disobedience to God’s laws like sexual immorality, murder, stealing, lying or worshipping golden cows.  In fact, to the spiritually young they may even appear good.  When what  has actually happened is that the line of attack on us was where our vision was obstructed, where we were NOT at all expecting it, and often crushes us with detrimental results to our faith and well-being.  We got tricked (fooled) because we never even saw it coming, and even more insidious is that we may not even realize that we have been hit or injured.

"you even put up with anyone who enslaves you or exploits you or takes advantage of you or pushes himself forward or slaps you in the face"

(2 Corinthians 11:20)

“I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock.”

( Acts 20:29)

Don't you SEE what GCx's actual founder and national leader, Jim McCotter, was doing to us and the blind guides he taught.  He drew us in with the cloak of a shepherd speaking with contrived humbleness and artificial gentleness; and then attacked our dignity and standing in Christ with soft yet mutilating words that said we were not good enough, not good enough yet, and accused us of being too proud and immature for real closeness to and true revelation from God Almighty.  He had the answer for your problem of not being good enough (which is a LIE in the first place).  You had to become like him who boasted in his humility, sacrifice, obedience and maturity in Christ; all the while testifying in his actions just the opposite, that he was indeed a liar.  If you need a reminder, just watch the last part of his Spiritual Gifts "Conference.  I was even there in that conference and was BLIND at the time, and didn't see it for 5 more years (I had been there five years already.  That's a total of ten.)!  

Don't subject yourself any longer to this man's yeast of false teaching and lies about who you are in Christ.  It permeates throughout the GCx churches because they will not publically disassociate with him or condemn his teaching.  Don't put up with so called "spiritual teachers" "pushing you around" and "slapping you in the face". I believe God is begging you to leave.  Here are some fatherly and endearing words of God toward his people:

"They have eyes to see but do not see and ears to hear but do not hear...

Therefore ... pack your belongings for exile and in the daytime, as they watch, set out and go from where you are to another place.  
Perhaps they will understand, though they are a rebellious house.  
During the daytime, while they watch, bring out your belongings packed for exile.
Then in the evening, while they are watching, go out like those into exile..."

Ezekiel 12:2,3,4

Please pause and calmly think about this in your heart.  Close your eyes and listen to "Take My Hand" by Lindsay McCaul.  Pray that you will SEE and hear and GO.   I have a strange inkling you'll feel his presence as you do.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:11:46 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 03:26:31 pm »

Here is a thread you may want to read:

http://forum.gcmwarning.com/jim-mccotter-gc-history/the-sins-of-false-teachers/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:14:30 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 03:31:39 pm »

This is a professional investigation on the activity and integrity of GCx and Jim McCotter called the KANE Report:

http://gcxweb.org/Misc/KaneReport-08-10-1990.aspx

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:13:19 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Vince Capobianco
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 03:02:43 pm »

X
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 08:20:40 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 05:27:07 pm »

To PietWowo:

It seems that you have been blindsided by McCotter and are zealous for the cause of proving his innocence. Brainwashing is a real thing and I will assume you truly think McCotter is innocent of blatant and deliberate Spiritual Abuse toward thousands of naive victims.  You have said and implied as much in your many words.

The evidence for McCotter’s abuse lies in the testimonies documented here, and the massive amount of actual recorded teaching tapes (for hundreds of sermons) and at least one video tape.  Multiple witnesses to McCotter’s cruel treatment of silencing, isolating, exploiting, denying, lying, and slandering innocent people in supposed effort to model a “Real New Testament Church” have been documented; and give Biblical permission and support to publically repudiate Jim McCotter.

To separate Jim McCotter’s Teaching and Practices from so many of his disciples and their disciples Teaching and Pratices would be like separating L.Ron Hubbard from Scientology.  The false teaching and practices they introduced from the beginnings have been passed down to their leaders and permeated like yeast throughout their groups.  Even though they are not physically present in organizations they founded, their abusive practices continue to be implemented.  Like Hubbard, many of McCotter’s abusive practices were not always public.  They both were good at hiding them; by gaslighting, intimidation, slandering, silence and shunning.  Yes, Scientology’s doctrine does not agree with the Bible, but some of their people-exploiting and abusing practices were strangely similar to McCotter and the GCx Churches he founded.

If your hung up on Doctine being the primary revealing factor of ravaging abuse from Christian Leaders, then the abuse by Ravi Zacharias could be overlooked because his doctrinal statements were sound.  He would even pray with his victims while abusing them.  So, he was stealing from God’s authority when he did NOT have it.  He acted as a wolf in sheep’s clothing as he carried on in his “Preaching Ministry”.  I don’t think it would go over too well to invite Ravi (if he was still living) to a website meant to be safe for his own abused survivors to have a nice little discussion and mend ways.  To likely deflect, excuse, and deny his words and behavior would further harm his victims.  Mending must ALWAYS BE ON THE ABUSED’ TERMS, not the perpetrator.  They have much to suffer, grieve, process, heal, and then one day when they are ready - to forgive.  True forgiveness of this magnitude is an empowered God-thing, not a human-thing.

So, I implore you to vacate your battle here on this website.  If you choose not to, I will be very concerned about your discernment and your harassment of believers in your official association with a missionary organization, and as a potential “missionary” caring for and instructing others.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 08:30:12 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 10:21:07 pm »

Yes, you're right.... I shouldn't cast pearls...
Linda

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 06:34:34 am »

Thanks for saying this, Janet.

To PietWowo:

It seems that you have been blindsided by McCotter and are zealous for the cause of proving his innocence.  Brainwashing is a real thing and I will assume you truly think McCotter is innocent of blatant and deliberate Spiritual Abuse toward thousands of naive victims.  You have said and implied as much in your many words.

The evidence for McCotter’s abuse lies in the testimonies documented here, and the massive amount of actual recorded teaching tapes (for hundreds of sermons) and at least one video tape.  Multiple witnesses to McCotter’s cruel treatment of silencing, isolating, exploiting, denying, lying, and slandering innocent people in supposed effort to model a “Real New Testament Church” have been documented and give Biblical permission and support to publically repudiate Jim McCotter.

To separate McCotter’s Teaching and Practices from so many of his disciples and their disciples Teaching and Pratices would be like separating L.Ron Hubbard from Scientology.  Like Hubbard, many of McCotter’s Abusive practices were not always public.  They both were hidden, primarily by silence and Excommunication.  Yes, Scientology’s doctrine does not agree with the Bible, but some of their people-exploiting and abusing practices were strangely similar to McCotter and the GCx Church he founded.

If your hung up on Doctine being the primary revealing factor of ravaging one’s flock, then the abuse by Christian Leader Ravi Zacharias could be overlooked because his doctrinal statements were sound.  He would even pray with his victims while abusing them.  So, he was stealing from God’s authority when he did NOT have it.  He acted as a wolf in sheep’s clothing as he carried on in his “Preaching Ministry”.  I don’t think it would go over too well to invite Ravi (if he was still living) to a website meant to be safe for his own abused survivors to have a nice little discussion and mend ways.  To likely deflect, excuse, and deny his words and behavior would further harm his victims.  Mending must ALWAYS BE ON THE ABUSED’ TERMS, not the perpetrator.  They have much to suffer, grieve, process, heal, and then one day when they are ready - to forgive.  True forgiveness of this magnitude is an empowered God-thing, not a human-thing.

So, I implore you to vacate your battle here on this website.  If you choose not to, I will be very concerned about your discernment and your harassment of believers in your official association with a missionary organization, and as a potential “missionary” caring for and instructing others.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 09:49:26 am »

To separate McCotter’s Teaching and Practices from so many of his disciples and their disciples Teaching and Pratices would be like separating L.Ron Hubbard from Scientology.  Like Hubbard, many of McCotter’s Abusive practices were not always public.  They both were hidden, primarily by silence and Excommunication.

This is an important point. When we say that McCotter taught something, we usually mean that McCotter originated or endorsed a teaching, but it was also quickly picked up and enforced by the other movement leaders. His influence was so ubiquitous in the movement that even a person like me, who never met him, couldn't avoid being deeply and personally affected. This is why we don't need to ask McCotter what he taught; we already know. We were there. We lived it. I still have some of the notes I took during the teachings. If he denies that he ever taught those things, then he's lying. There's no other way to spin it.

There's a very insightful YouTube video called, "Ravi is Amnon; Who are You?" The speaker explains that Amnon, who raped his own sister Tamar, was aided and abetted by multiple people who helped him plan the crime, commit it, and then silence the victim. Some of these were active conspirators, some were people who simply stood by and knowingly allowed it to happen, and some (like King David) were people who had the power to bring Amnon to justice but failed to do so. The speaker calls these people a "nexus of evil." McCotter and his colleagues were a "nexus of error." They weren't necessarily wrong in Statement-of-Faith type doctrines like the Trinity or the virgin birth. Their error was claiming the kind of power and control over other believers that no one but the Holy Spirit should ever have.

(Edited to fix typos and to reduce general wordiness.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:25:07 am by Huldah » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 09:47:24 pm »

Blindsided by McCotter Theology

‘Not Good Enough’

After being in my GCx Church for years I remember being surprised at myself for having a certain strange thought while visiting the Pennsylvania Dutch Country one weekend - that for a moment ‘I wished I was Amish because at least the rules were pretty set and then I might know where I stood instead of continually striving to make the changing grade in GCx’. (Of course, I would have been under a heavy burden of legalism and still not been set free from the law in that situation either.) But, I was desperate for something better.

I wish I had known then that the weight of pleasing God the ”GCx way” stressing me out, boring me, and depressing my outlook on my future was NOT God’s desired path for my life. Not knowing the truth about God’s thoughts toward me, I felt trapped, too fearful of “displeasing God” more if I left my Maryland GCx church. My mind had definitely been thoroughly washed with conclusions that only people who didn’t care about God left their churches.

Little did I know that I didn’t need the approval of GCx leaders (and their underleaders) to have God’s approval and feel good about myself. They adamantly claimed to have the first and last say about what God thought and required. They took Bible passages about devotion to Him and twisted those sacrifices to be about devotion to them. They instilled great confusion in the minds of young believers about who they were to please and who they were to fear.

“Their error was claiming the kind of power and control over other believers that no one but the Holy Spirit should ever have.”
-Huldah

Because we heard continual condemnation from certain leaders and the founder regarding the conducting of our lives, we were under continual pressure to “humble ourselves” to them to carry out what they said God’s plan for our life. Of course, that meant whatever conferences, laborious projects, financial gifts, new directions, public relations stunts, tri-weekly teachings, social gatherings, and continual follow-up of new people to bring in “bodies” they coercively commanded from on GCx high. That made for convenient labor to build their arrogant empire. They falsely claimed the “anointing” Moses received to lead any and every believer to follow them. They seductively and greedily promised “better” service to God, and “closer knowledge” of Him. So the “Fear of God’s displeasure and condemnation” was placed in our souls and minds to errantly and fearfully follow these False Prophets and Teachers.

The wolf in sheep’s clothing who led the pack, took by hook or by crook every person he could. Massive numbers were to display massive spirituality. Yes, orthodox evangelical doctrines were mentioned and people came to Christ through their aggressive and too often crooked measures. God worked their unrighteousness for good. But those new believers sadly became mere pawns in a greedy and grand scheme to become a famous denomination (and likely hopes to reign in church history on the face of the earth).

I didn’t really have much choice about where I spent my time. I was told if I wanted to be godly I would do such and such on the “grand pyramid”. God’s people  became trapped in a sort of “work camp” style isolation from the rest of the body of Christ. We may as well have lived in a commune because no one was supposed to live with people outside the church. Our houses were merely separated physically from each other. We were inundated by constant teaching of “not enough” within and surrounded by fear of eternal resentment or condemnation without. Otherwise, we would had have gotten WISE TO THEM and the LIES THEY SPREAD and left for freedom to enjoy, love and serve our REAL Heavenly Father.

TO BE CONTINUED...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 09:57:58 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 07:23:29 pm »

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

Condemnation of ‘Not Good Enough’

Being in the Maryland Church, we were soon joined by McCotter who moved his family there. I was cleaning his home along with a number of other single “sisters” before they moved in. It was like we were getting ready for a celebrity. Soon after that there was a social gathering where I was near enough to hear McCotter’s wife clearly share with other elders’ wives one of her husband’s opinions on child discipline. She explained with a sense of pride that he told her that the scriptures seemed to imply that if her children “did not bring comfort to her they probably needed to be disciplined”. It came across as a “teaching moment” from her to the other wives and mothers. I hadn’t been there too long and remember thinking to myself, “Woa! That seems a bit harsh.” It is important to know that their children were young.  Doesn’t seem young kids could go too long without disrupting any mother’s peace and comfort. It’s kind of like saying young children are made to serve the parents’ needs, not the other way around.

Recently, some of the things that McCotter taught from “the stage” in our Maryland church have come to mind. I’m sure some may remember these or other things he proclaimed. Of course, there are hundreds of teaching tapes to confirm what he said word for word. They speak volumes for themselves. We heard it first hand. Some heard it second hand from his disciples in other GCx Churches.

“People speak of Jim as if he is two people - the Jim prior to 1986 and the Jim after 1986. For those of us who knew him in his younger days, Jim is Jim - manipulative, ambitious, aggressive, persuasive, conniving, and hungry for power, money, and influence.”
-OlderAndWiser

Too often, there was harsh rebuke for unsacrificial things “on our minds”. For example, teaching times toward the lunch hour was a time he would rip into his listeners yelling accusations of selfishness at us because eating lunch might cross our mind more than the “things of God”. I seem to remember him going pretty long over the usual time to slyly make his point. Our attending 3 times a week, serving the families of the church including and especially the elders’ families, giving more financially than most churches’ members, and serving every passing project they dreamed of definitely WAS NOT ENOUGH in McCotters’ eyes. There was continual condemnation that we should be more sacrificial. His teaching nearly constantly hung our heads in shame.

There was often public staunch condemnation by McCotter over people who had a passion for, or took seriously their career. He would tell us they left the GCx church so that they could pursue something ‘as silly as developing a new product’. (I’m sure whatever church those people went to were grateful for their financial support in these successful pursuits.) People were shamed because they took a job where there wasn’t a GCx Church. When I was there we were repeatedly persuaded that EVERY OTHER church organization since the first century was missing the mark in obeying the Great Commission according to McCotter’s words, only we were following the divine plan. Even Billy Graham’s ministry was dissed by him. I kid you not. Condemnation was the name of the game in order for the constant  E L E V A T I O N  of the GCx organization to be accomplished and burned into our thoughts as part of the intended seductive deception. It was also the method used to exult the founder and “humble” (disempower really) it’s followers.

Of course, there was McCotter’s sudden imperative and ferocious Midnight Meeting that most of us in the Maryland Church got out of bed for where he vehemently tore apart several wise and caring shepherds for hours who were warning others of his dangerous teaching and control. They were accused of being evil, lying, factious, divisive wild dogs who ravaged the sheep; and who were  “enemies of the gospel”. With great ranting and raving they were labeled viciously wicked. Obviously, his condemnation of such action by these men scared everyone there out of ever even thinking about their own or others’ concerns, doubts or fears of McCotter or his teaching.

TO BE CONTINUED AGAIN...

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 11:00:44 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 08:17:39 pm »

Producing Mindsets of ‘Not Good Enough’

So many “teachings” by McCotter took what I thought I had done to please God and “trashed it” because it didn’t meet the standards he implied were God’s. Those messages often made me feel my small obediences were worthless in comparison. He strongly suggested so many times that he was the man whose eyes God were set upon. He would quote the scripture about ‘God’s looking to and fro throughout the earth to find a man whose heart was completely his.’ It was “understood” that the elders ranked high in pleasing God, and we for most part did not. What I think he really wanted were people who were completely his to manipulate and use to build his own empire, to show the Christian world he was worthy. It seems plausible he even selfishly used the gospel to hook those people into his grand plan.

If I were in GCx in the days of ‘sacrificing your college education’ because McCotter used verses like the one above and inserted college into it as God’s will and intention for you to surrender to him, to prove you are a worthy disciple; I dreadfully would have “surrendered” it also fearing my life would be wasted when I faced eternity if I didn’t give “everything” up. Again, the mindset of ‘Not Worthy Enough’ if you don’t join the rest of super-Spiritual people and throw your lot in with us.

That seems to be the exact opposite of what the gospel is to accomplish in our hearts. Trying to earn grace and glory and position in God’s Kingdom by our own strength. We may as well be the old-fashioned “worshippers” cutting ourselves bloody on the rugged stones as we crawl up the steps to the church to earn and receive God’s approval and attention. Those are filthy rags - our good works done in the flesh. It must be out of love for our Savior and faith in his power. Out of gratefulness for his continual cleansing of our sins. Out of joy for his faithfulness and companionship with us. Pleasing God was never meant to be out of fear of not measuring up.

I think everyone here agrees that [Jim] McCotter said/wrote some wacky things, and that those things were used/abused (intentionally or not) to manipulate congregations/individuals, stifle dissent within the ranks, etc.  Like it or not, McCotter's special brand of vitriol HURT a lot of people.
-namaste

The thoughts of ‘Not Good Enough’ only increased the longer I stayed in my GCx Church. During those years my boss at my work commented to me, “Something or someone has really knocked down your confidence!” My grandmother warned I was being bullied by my “friend” (discipler). Others commented, “You’re so hard on yourself”. You learn to be in the GCx environment of “Not Good Enough”. Seems not only were we being taught how inferior we or our sacrifices were 3x’s a week, but the continual rebuking in the the GCx “style of discipleship” by our hovering disciplers took a toll on our self-esteem. They were trained by example to manipulate us with very strong recommendations, taking away our confidence to listen to the Holy Spirit to make our own choices in nearly everything you can imagine. And, of course, there was the ‘elephant in the room’ that few talked about - that those who were tapped by the elders to be in the inner circle were esteemed and closer to being “enough”. This was the gold ring to capture because it gave these members approval, and authority to “talk down to” their disciplees. I know some very loving and Christ-like people who weren’t selected for this group because they didn’t fit the PR mold which hurt their self-esteem.

Actually, our TOTAL JOY in the Lord is EXACTLY THAT WE ARE GOOD ENOUGH already, simply by being in Him. He suffered and sacrificed to make us clean. He obeyed His Father in everything to earn and give us the Righteousness of God in Christ. Psalm 32 tells us from the start that knowing we are cleansed and forgiven produces happiness. I think McCotter and GCx robbing us of that identity produced depression, loneliness, and even hopelessness in a LOT of members. Many have testified to such on here. Essentially teaching us we are not good enough for God to use us yet disheartens us from even approaching God for the grace to obey. Our JOY is our best witness, hands down! No one can fake that, though they may try. Most can see through the smiling mask some of us were constantly told told to put on, for the reputation of the church I reckon, and for McCotter’s respectability. What we actually needed instead was reminding and assuring of the Breastplate of Righteousness to protect our heart from becoming discouraged and disheartened. It is armor that is our birthright in Christ to claim. A mindset confident of being completely forgiven and totally accepted by God is crucial to any kind of genuine service to Him. It produces love all the way around.

THIS IS STILL TO BE CONTINUED...             May God’s love be seen all around you.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:54:28 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Vince Capobianco
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 01:42:23 pm »

So many false accusations, so little time...those who have posted here...why not confront Jim in person, LIVE?  
Hi!  For anyone who would like to actually SEE & HEAR Jim McCotter address all these accusations, Jim is willing to take LIVE questions on his weekday podcasts every Friday.  It's time to actually "put your money where your mouth is".  Tomorrow and every Friday at 4pm, you can log onto the podcast on facebook or on his youtube channel...

He's ready and willing to finally address any and all accusations and questions!  You ready to ask?  You can just comment your question, or actually come on live with Jim!  Either way, it's time for the whole truth to come out!

...X...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 07:18:38 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 07:10:42 pm »

Ludicrous Teaching

Sadly, too many of McCotter’s dictates were passed off as “scriptural theology” when they were likely schemes to control the people following him using verses from the Bible twisted far from their context and intention. Sadly, only a few people who had good understanding of the scriptures would recognize how absurd much of his “theology” was. (And, questioning, they were often brutally done away with.) Conveniently, a no dating policy would keep the pool of members and available workers high. Approval for “courtship” only among members would keep the membership and workforce steady, and growing. Unfortunately, these “dictates” became “traditions of men” in GCx that were placed far above the commandments of God. The unwritten dating policy in GCx was just as real and enforced as if it were law. Below is the ludicrous “theological” origin from McCotter.

Dating is Sinful

The biblical justification they used, I later came to find out, was the exact same verse Jim McCotter used when he first introduced the principle under a different name in the beginning of the movement. McCotter first advocated GC's courtship methods. His words:

”What we call 'dating,' the Bible may call 'partiality' (James 2:9). What we call 'boyfriend/girlfriend,' the Bible may call a 'clique' or a 'faction' (Galatians 5:20).”

JM [leader] of Summitview Community Church in Fort Collins has a booklet published that they handed out, which used the exact same verse and reasoning as Jim's ancient teaching, without mentioning Jim at all.

- Anonymous

« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 11:35:52 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2021, 09:13:54 pm »

Ludicrous Teaching

Superior Fulfilling of The Great Commission

Not just the 70’s, but throughout the 80’s McCotter taught that all churches, para-churches, and even evangelists after the first century had failed to faithfully follow Jesus’ command in Matthew 28 to teach all nations the gospel, however he and his church ALONE had revelation on how to “faithfully” succeed in that mission. That is preposterous! But, that is the concoction on which McCotter built his church. Many were genuinely born-again through the gospel and others already believers, but both were deceptively assimilated into this group through manipulative “lovebombing”and this cunning claim. They were deviously persuaded that to leave the group meant they would be out of God’s will and suffer harm. Their desire to please God was insidiously taken advantage of. They stayed based on a false premise and captive scheme.

Whether or not the first century Christians reached the ends of the earth with the gospel doesn’t seem to be made firmly clear in the scriptures. Also, Matthew 28:18-20 does not stipulate a timeframe for this command to be completed, so how can all other centuries’ of believers be defined as failing. But if, as some say —the caveat of Jesus’ return is that the world will be reached, why then didn’t he return in the end of the first century? Only God knows how faithfully his people have carried out his commands. To diminish or discount what other devoted believers have done genuinely by faith to please God for centuries in order to slyly claim a new “superior obedience” seems to be sheer arrogance, deception and selfish ambition. It is also a sure scriptural mark of a False Teacher. Below are members testifying to this ludicrous teaching. I also heard what Heidi did in the 80’s from McCotter at conferences and when he taught for a time in the College Park/ Silver Spring, Maryland GCx Church.

Jim McCotter claimed he received a “heavenly vision” while reading the Book of Acts on how to “restore” the New Testament church that no other denomination was emulating fully and claimed the authority of Apostle (CITATIONClose[4] Pile, Lawrence (2002).
-GoingClear

...he [McCotter]... taught for 16-20 years, that the [GCx] church is the ONLY biblical way to reach the world.  He taught that the first century Christians DID reach the world. He taught that ALL the other churches, since the first century believers, had failed. ... The GREAT Commission Churches would reach the world,  because we would do what no other churches were doing. ... We were taught that para-church groups like Campus Crusade were not God's will, missionary callings were not God's will. ...  I heard him teach this. I heard other pastors teach this. I believed it, and embraced it and made big life decisions based on these teachings. Commit for life. It was taught and it is in the DNA of GCM. In 1986 there was a national conference in Washington DC. " DC 86"  McCotter was one of the main teachers.  I heard and believed that my Commitment to this movement [GCx] was God's will for my life. ...

How does a man teach that God's will for your life is the Great Commission and the only Biblical way to fulfill the Great Commission is through the GCM church, and then he leaves. ...

In 1991 a paper was written regarding weaknesses and errors. Sadly, those errors and weaknesses are still happening.
-Heidi    (Left ~ 2108)

I and others heard McCotter include the evangelist, Billy Graham, in his dismissal of those failing to faithfully follow Jesus’ Great Commission.
-Janet

« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 05:49:21 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 09:22:04 pm »

Counterfeit Jesus

McCotter taught and discipled others that his church was the only one that truly followed the New Testament as God intended. He insisted that people would miss out on God’s best if they joined up with any other church. He repeated countless times that “God’s will for your life” was to join them (in reaching the world) so that one would have no regrets. He adamantly and enthusiastically assured the members  that “The GCx Church” was where they would be most effective for God. He taught that one’s personal “producing” (or “disciples” they assimilated into the Church) was a direct demonstration of their ‘commitment to Christ’ and their “fruitfulness.” He threatened that the blessing, success, and service toward God of any who left “The GCx Church” would be made null, and even destruction would follow.

Obviously, these things have been testified to verified repeatedly on this site. Putting it in a nutshell like that once we are out of the GCx culture reveals just how crazy, false and deceitful it really is. I think that scripture would suggest those “edicts of McCotter” are all “doctrines” of demons. Why? Because they hideously rob us of Jesus Christ’s position, purpose, authority, power, fruitfulness, and even faithful pruning in our lives. They demand from us a devotion that only belongs to Christ. They require a blind faith that only Christ is trustworthy of. They falsely promise a fruitfulness that only God can authentically bring. They go so far as to imply their impact and value is equal to Christ; and to not remain in their Church is akin to not remaining in Christ, even daring to say that disloyalty to them will bring God’s discipline.

Some would consider that blasphemy. I feel it is definitely counterfeiting Christ, taking his place. Like Paul says in Galatians false teachers preach Jesus, but they actually separate us from Christ unto their Church rule. Just look at who and what Christ really is for us who believe in John 15:5 & 6 (below) to see how closely these False teachings (nutshelled above) attempt to counterfeit Jesus’. Stunning!

I am the vine; you are the branches.
If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit;
apart from me you can do nothing.
If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers;
such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

John 15:5,6

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 07:14:17 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 08:21:47 pm »

BLINDSIDED By McCotter Theology

Scripture’s Rebuke

The scriptures below reveal the corruption of False Teaching. Paul seems to be pointing out the difference between his teaching and theirs; and clarifying why his is trustworthy. These verses perfectly address the shameful teachings of Jim McCotter. Each key word in a different color is defined more accurately through the Greek helps below. They confirm the darkness with which these teachings were delivered.

2Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways;
we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God.

On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly
we commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God. ...

5For what we preach is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord,
and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake.
6For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” ...

2 Corinthians 4:2,5,6

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
(the hidden things of darkness i. e.) things covered by darkness, 1 Corinthians 4:5;

HELPS Word-studies
3834 panourgía (from 3956 /pás, "every" and 2041 /érgon, "deed") – properly, every (evil) work; (figuratively) crafty behavior; unscrupulous cunning that stops at nothing to achieve a selfish goal.

Strong's Concordance
doloó: to ensnare, fig. to adulterate
Original Word: δολόω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: doloó
Phonetic Spelling: (dol-o'-o)
Definition: to ensnare, to adulterate
Usage: I adulterate, corrupt, ensnare.

HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 1389 dolóō (from 1388 /dólos, "bait") – properly, to lure (or snare) by using bait – holding out the worm and concealing the hook!; to handle deceitfully; "primarily, to ensnare; then to corrupt – used of adulterating gold, wine, etc." (WS, 818). See 1388 (dolos).

HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 4654 skotízō –become dark, obscuring God's light (the manifestation of His life).

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 02:44:10 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2022, 08:58:42 pm »

Distorting The Word To Deceive

How many of us were afraid to leave GCx because we were told by McCotter and his “disciples” that only there with its superior calling would we be truly effective and productive for Christ?

His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

2 Peter 1:3-9

If you read 2 Peter 1:3-9 above you will see that some other “power” was substituted for His Glory and Goodness in GCx to give us false promises of superior service to God. Peter calls these substitutes - False Teachers who attempt to take the place of Christ. Paul calls it “another husband”, “adultery”, “bewitching”.

RELYING UPON the foundational promise of our cleansing from sin is paramount in our growth and spiritual well-being. Believing it IS the POWER by which we can walk in the divine nature (which John 3:17 also tell tells us.)  The fruit of which is goodness, true knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection, and love. These AUTHENTIC & DIVINE FRUITS are what keep us divinely effective and productive.

McCotter has clearly and audaciously distorted the Word to substitute GCx’s glory for God’s. No wonder he and other leaders lacked power to practice authentic goodness, impartial affection, sincere love and the true godliness that presides in Christ. Their reliance was upon devotion to McCotter and his teachings rather than Christ as MANY here testify to.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 10:22:56 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2022, 02:32:07 pm »

During my time at Solid Rock, at the height of McCotter's influence, leaving the movement was often equated with "tubing out"--letting one's spiritual life go down the tubes, so to speak. Turning your back on the movement was one and the same with turning your back on God.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2022, 08:19:07 pm »

Yes, Huldah, we were threatened with that exact predicament in the College Park/ Silver Spring, MD GCx Church in the 80’s if we left it. When asking about people who didn’t come around anymore, we were also told in an unnerving way that they “Tubed Out.” That accusation slandered the faith and character of many truly devoted believers (who left) and made what they might say (about their own leaving) suspect.

For young or naive believers that term scared the dickens out of us. We were determined to never be in that “unstable condition” thus, we were trapped there.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 09:38:05 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2022, 10:17:14 am »

In addition to knowing that you'd be labelled as "having tubed out" if you were to leave the church, you also knew that you'd be shunned.  It was very clear that this was their M.O., and you knew there would be a hefty price to pay if you followed your gut and left.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: