Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:39:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conspiracy theory: Jim McCotter on salary?  (Read 9672 times)
lurker

« on: March 16, 2007, 03:27:09 pm »

I’m still lurking.

Does it bother anyone that GCM churches are run by a trustee board that is not elected by the congregation or in any way accountable to the congregation, but pretty much appointed by the pastors.

Hmmmm. Pastors choose the people who will determine their salaries.

Hmmmm. The congregation who pays the pastors through their giving has no idea what the pastors make (pastor’s salaries are often voted on by the congregation in many churches and therefore public knowledge).

Hmmmm. Jim McCotter said that the verses about an elder being worth double honor refers to money as well as “honor”. He also says that once an apostle, always on the payroll, even if he no longer is employeed as an apostle.

I always wondered if that meant that Jim McC. was still on the GCM payroll. Anyone know if he is? Just curious.

Now, back to lurking. So many blogs, so little time.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 03:27:42 pm »

Hmmmm. Jim McCotter said that the verses about an elder being worth double honor refers to money as well as “honor”. He also says that once an apostle, always on the payroll, even if he no longer is employeed as an apostle.

Can I ask what your sources on this are on this? Playing Devil’s advocate but also very curious about financial issues surrounding GC.
lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 03:27:58 pm »

dear devil’s advocate : )

here are the quotes that i found right off the bat.

i must say it was painful reading through the leadership book to find them, but you deserve an answer to your question.

page 26 of leadership: elders and apostles by jim mccotter and dennis clark says:

1 Timothy 5:17 states, “let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching.” in context, the honor means more than respect or esteem. note verse three in the same chapter and context, “honor widows who are widows indeed.” verse nine makes it clear that they are to be put on the “list” or roll, suggesting they are to receive some kind of regular church support. they don’t just want kind words, they need money to eat. the amplified says, “Let no one be put on the roll of widows, who are to receive church support, who is under sixty years of age…” in the same context the next group of people mentioned are elders. they are to receive “double honor.” the context is talking about those who are to be supported by the church.

page 78 says: nonetheless, the apostles’ financial support should not stop when they leave a church, any more than physical children should stop honoring their parents and grandparensts by sharing with them. paul does not indicate that finincial support should stop, even years later and countries away. the church in philippi is one example of this. dr. dwight pentecost writes, “when the philippians had joined with other macedonians in giving the first gift to the apostle paul, they did not adopt the attitude, now we have discharged our obligation–that’s the end of it. they recognized their obligation to the apostle as a continuing obligation because of the sacrrifice th at paul had endured to bring the gospel to them”
Genevieve
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 03:28:13 pm »

Whoa! That would be so crazy. Wasn’t there some controversy about how Jim McC was paid in the past? Were churches giving 10% to a “foundation” that the “apostles” were living off of?

I thought I read that somewhere, but please correct me if I’m wrong.
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 03:28:26 pm »

My guess is that even if McCotter taught this he didn’t take a large salary. This just doesn’t seem to fit. Don’t know though. My guess is that most GCM pastors live on low to average incomes. In other words, I’ve never seen anyone getting rich. In fact, a lot of pastors seemed to not have much money at all.

Glad to be free.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 03:29:13 pm »

My guess is that even if McCotter taught this he didn’t take a large salary.

Well, in the late seventies McCotter said his only income was from the contributions of members, claiming $300-$600 a month. Roughly 10 years later he’s building a multi-million dollar house.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 03:29:26 pm »

Does GCAC/GCM provide financial records for what they pay their national elders?
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 03:29:38 pm »

I think McCotter came from a wealthy family. Gosh, I just can’t see that he would have made any money from GCM. Unless someone knows something I don’t. I just can’t see it. I think he’s been pretty successful at business. It happens, and he was good at selling himself from the beginning. I just can’t see how he would have made any money. I really think he was a sincere guy who was just overzealous. I can’t imagine that he would make money off being a leader in GCI/GCM.

Glad to be free.
Vince Capobianco
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 03:18:50 pm »

Hi!  For anyone who would like to actually HEAR Jim McCotter address all these accusations, Jim is willing to take LIVE questions on his weekday podcasts every Friday.  It's time to actually "put your money where your mouth is".  Tomorrow and every Friday at 4pm, you can log onto the podcast on facebook or on his youtube channel...

He's ready and willing to finally address any and all accusations and questions!  You ready to ask?  You can just comment your question, or actually come on live with Jim!  Either way, it's time for the whole truth to come out!

If this podcast doesn't fit into your schedule, you can text questions to 404-405-6358, and Jim will answer them during the show on Fridays!

Facebook @jimmccotterlive
youtube search for Jim McCotter Live channel or follow these links

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_-a-MOV_qjSKEpLcx9pR3g

https://www.facebook.com/JimMcCotterLIVE
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 01:48:00 pm »

The above post of advertisement for McCotter does not represent or support the vast majority of former members of GCx for whom this site was created.

Be wary of false preachers who smile a lot, dripping with practiced sincerity. Chances are they are out to rip you off some way or other. Don’t be impressed with charisma; look for character. Who preachers are is the main thing, not what they say. A genuine leader will never exploit your emotions or your pocketbook. These diseased trees with their bad apples are going to be chopped down and burned.

“Knowing the correct password—saying ‘Master, Master,’ for instance—isn’t going to get you anywhere with me. What is required is serious obedience—doing what my Father wills. I can see it now—at the Final Judgment thousands strutting up to me and saying, ‘Master, we preached the Message, we bashed the demons, our God-sponsored projects had everyone talking.’ And do you know what I am going to say? ‘You missed the boat. All you did was use me to make yourselves important. You don’t impress me one bit. You’re out of here.’ 

Matthew 7:15-23     The Message (MSG)

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: