Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:02:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GCx Churches Escape Reports of Abuse Through Frequent Name Changes  (Read 3426 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: March 28, 2021, 09:25:58 pm »

GCx Churches Escape Reports of Abuse
Through Frequent Name Changes

This is an attempt to list (all in one place) the names and name changes of GCx founded churches to inform unknowing members of their history of frequent name changes often suspiciously following public reports of abuse.  Obviously there are some missing, so please chime in with additions or honest corrections.  Linda and Huldah did most of the research and detective work (which can be found on several threads).  I left the indication “-Present” up because some of these churches still identify somehow or another with GCM, GCAC, GCC on their website or in their teaching, though it’s National Board has claimed dissolvement.  Though subdivisions occur later they are identified here because they grew from the “parent” GCx organization and under McCotter indoctrination.  Also included are experiences and insights from former members regarding GCX’s name changes and the abusive history they hide.

The "Blitz" Movement (1970-1983)
Great Commission International (1983-1989)
Great Commission Ministries (1989-Present)
     Collegiate Churches Network
     Reliant Mission (2015 - Present)
Great Commission Association of Churches (1989-Present)
Great Commission Churches (2005-Present)

..reminds me of the old shell game the hucksters play at county fairs and carnivals. You can never guess the right coconut shell because the guy is so slick and so quick. There are so many fronts to this organization... it reminds me of the many Iowa newspaper investigations posted in here that exposed all the hidden connections between Jim McCotter = ISU Bible Study = Ames Fellowship Church = THEOS = Life Herald = Today's Student = The Cause = etc, etc, etc. ===> GCXXX.
-newcreature

...I was surprised (read: suspicious) when I received an email explaining that the organization that I previously supported had changed its name. Thats the way he put it, the organization just changed its name. Of course, that is not what the website says...
I can tell you that as far as I can tell GCM (now CCN) is of the same spirit as all of the other GCx churches.
-dreamer

I think its important for people to understand that though the name might be changing the beliefs and practices may not be. ... One of the churches in the Collegiate Church Network (of which Reliant is a direct affiliate with) had many of the same issues listed in the Apology Letter up until at least 2005. I left around then...
-h2oOrlandoWarning

Is it alarming to anyone that GCM is changing their college ministry name to  Collegiate Church Network? ... It was very difficult for me to track down that Collegiate was related at all to GCM, but I noticed several of the board members names, and that Collegiate talks about LT on the website.
-lalala

I was a member of a GCAC church while on staff and had problems there, too. When I was in training for staff (to learn how to raise support) we were told GCM is the mission arm of GCAC. ...don't believe if someone says they're separate. On paper, yes...in locations, yes...but in interacting, no way.....we had a Pastor/Staff conference each year where GCM staffers and pastors from GCAC churches all attended & heard the same teachings from the same people. Don't buy it.
-formerstaffer

I believe GC is planting churches without using the GC organization's information known to those who come.  They wouldn't want anyone to find out their past and present practices.  
-everythingchrist

In 2011, there were 4.

Great Commission Heartland (GCH)
GCC Regional Ministries (GCC-RM)
Great Commission Northlands (GCN)
Great Commission Northwest (GCNW)

In October 2016 GCC had 5 regional ministries at that time that were "organized geographically" They were:

The Plains
Mountains West
Northlands
Heartland
East Regional Ministries

Within GCC, Eagle Creek Community Church is active with GC Plains Regional Ministry, which serves churches in these states Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Iowa.

Within GCC, Harvest Church is active with Northlands Regional Ministry, which serves churches in these states Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Within GCC, Submerge Church is active with the Northlands Regional Ministry, which serves churches in these states: Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin.

If [JH - Board of Directors] you are going to try to pretend that you have all sorts of "regional ministries" that are not GCC ministries and throw "Lift Network" in the mix, you probably should go through your member churches web pages and have them eliminate statements on church web pages [in January 2020] like these [above] that contradict your statement...
-Linda

Lift Network of Churches
     Vintage Faith Church - Kansas
     Walnut Creek Church - Ames, Iowa

According to liftchurches.com, the Lift Network has churches in Des Moines, Iowa, and Ames, Iowa,    but the names of the churches are not yet available from the website. I'm assuming that one of them is Stonebrook in Ames, as their pastor Matt Heerema is the author of an article that appears on the site.
-Linda

Campus Fellowship link on the Lift Network web page [as of 2019]

Drake is a ministry of Walnut Creek.
https://drake.campusfellowship.com/drake/about

DMACC is a ministry of Walnut Creek.
https://dmacc.campusfellowship.com/dmacc/about

Grandview is a ministry of Walnut Creek.
https://grandview.campusfellowship.com/grandview/about

Iowa State University is a ministry of Stonebrook Community Church.
https://isu.campusfellowship.com

University of Nebraska—Lincoln lists no church affiliation (perhaps I missed it), but meets at Candlewood Church.
https://unl.campusfellowship.com

University of Nebraska—Omaha is a ministry of Candlewood Church (and proud of it according to their web page)
https://uno.campusfellowship.com

M28 Alliance
     Anchored Faith Church - Edina, MN
     Rio Church - El Paso, TX
     Living Stones - Austin, TX
     The Rock - Draper, UT
     Desert’s End - Tempe, AZ
     South LA Christian Life - Los Angelos, CA
     Beggar’s Gate - Loveland, CO
     Summitview Church - Fort Collins, CO
     Summitview Community Church - Evans, CO
     Firehouse Church - Denver, CO
     Parker Firehouse Church - Franklin, CO

From the M28 Website:
     https://www.m28alliance.com/churches/

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:54:16 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 06:16:13 pm »

Solid Rock, the college-based church I belonged to in the 70's, also did this. It's now two separate entities called H2O (the college ministry) and Linworth Road Church. The history page of Linworth Road's website mentions their beginning as, "...fifteen men and women barely out of their teens with a simple vision to recapture New Testament Christianity... holy rebels set loose in the world," but there's no mention of the name Solid Rock. The only way I learned what became of my old church and the entire movement was by Googling "James McCotter" and coming across this website.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 07:08:22 pm »

When I was looking up the GCx Church in Clarksville, MD called “Oak Ridge Community Church” that remained after the ValleyBrook group split away and left GCx; I found that GCx Church has become part of what is now referred to as the “Southeast Church Alliance” (of GC Churches.)They use the GCC logo on both pages. There is a link to these “SECA” Churches at the bottom. Incidently, this is not “The Alliance Southeast” which is part of The Christian Missionary Alliance Denomination. The similarity could be misleading.

Some church names may be familiar to you, but other names may have changed or “Churches” may have been added. To the best of my knowledge they have not attempted to separate from the GCx culture. It appears some are associated with college campuses which is always concerning. I have included the Clarksville, Maryland Church since they claim to be part of this alliance though they don’t officially appear on their page. These churches should be added to the list of remaining GCx Churches listed above.

SOUTHEAST CHURCH ALLIANCE    (SECA)

Oak Ridge Community Church
Clarksville, MD

Grace Community Church
Raleigh, NC

Niner Christian Life
Charlotte, NC

Clemson Community Church
Clemson, SC

Atlanta House Churches
Metro Atlanta, GA

Woodstock Community Church
Woodstock, Ga

Awaken Church
Jacksonville, FL

Cypress Fellowship
Orlando, FL

Gator Christian Life
Gainesville, FL

Seminole Christian Life
Tallahassee, FL

The Journey
Palm Coast, FL

The Rock/ La Roca
Miami, FL

Freedom Bible Church
Enterprise, AL

For the leaders/representatives of these churches click on each at the following:
https://www.sechurchalliance.org/our-churches

« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 07:26:41 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 07:01:38 pm »

GCx Churches Hiding Identity

I attend a Great Commission Church. What's interesting is that they have been involved in plants, but fail to really say if they officially belong to the GCC. ...

Our pastor downloads his sermons (plagerism?), so I don't believe he studies the Word enough to allow the Spirit to lead him at all.  He is seldom with his family, always at church or "counseling" someone.  The leadership stresses "serving" above anything else. Gossip from the pastor's wife is rampant. She is constantly "praying" for someone with vast details that are nobody's business.  I've discussed this with her, but I get the deer-in-the-headlights look and "they're in our body, so it's everyone's business" answer. ... There is a ridiculous tendency to judge everyone's salvation as genuine by measuring somehow is beyond me.  I've questioned, debated and been talked about behind my back because I don't accept ridiculous comments such as "You're not saved if you are not sharing the Gospel on a regular and consistent basis." ... They criticize every other church in town, and are isolationists in that sense. ...

Although they came from out-of-state to begin the church several years ago, they manage to keep GC out of their information since it's fairly known that there are cult-like tendencies with GC.  They are a "Rock" church.  ... We had no freedom there and we never heard a Spirit-led sermon -- not once in several years. ... No matter what the church spreads in our small town about our leaving, we are free now... It is for His pleasure and purposes that we live.  The church is full of gossips who will make us look bad if they can.  I've never seen anything like it on my life. I believe GC is planting churches without using the GC organization's information known to those who come.  They wouldn't want anyone to find out their past and present practices.  We've been hurt so badly, my husband says he will never trust a church again; and, certainly not a pastor.

-everythingchrist    [left ~ 2009]

« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 07:03:22 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 08:31:49 pm »

It would be appropriate to add “C1 Network” to the list of splinter church groups from GCx. More details on this newest rebranding of GCx to C1 Network can be found @ http://forum.gcmwarning.com/jim-mccotter-gc-history/is-c1-network-the-new-gcx/msg23565/?topicseen#top.

Because the people leading these splinter groups listed above have been indoctrinated into very unhealthy and abusive practices which many victims still report on this site, it is crucial to be aware of their traits in these newly named (church) groups they have established. Here are most of the characteristics of cults or cultic groups listed by the International Cultic Studies Association that GCx has practiced. Unrepentantly, they still continue to practice many according to this website. The Notes included are based on other cultic behavior checklists.

Compare these patterns to the situation you were in (or in which you, a family member, or friend is currently involved). This list may help you determine whether there is cause for concern. ...

1.  The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader and (whether he is alive or dead) regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the Truth, as law.

2.  Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.

3.  The leadership dictates, sometimes in great detail, how members should think, act, and feel (for example, members must get permission to date, change jobs, marry—or leaders prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, whether or not to have children, how to discipline children, and so forth). *Note: This permission can be disguised as “counsel.”

4.  The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s), and its members (for example, the leader is considered the Messiah, a special being, an avatar—or the group and/or the leader is on a special mission to save humanity).

5.  The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society.  *Note: ...and conflict with members who have left for any reason.

6.  The leader is not accountable to any authorities. *Note: Loyal “Yes-men” may be their only accountability, which obviously will not keep leader/s in check.

7.  The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify whatever means it deems necessary. This may result in members’ participating in behaviors or activities they would have considered reprehensible or unethical before they joined the group (for example, lying to family or friends, or collecting money for bogus charities). *Note: May also result in bullying, humiliation, slander, and shunning.

8.  The leadership induces feelings of shame and/or guilt in order to influence and/or control members. Often, this is done through peer pressure and subtle forms of persuasion.

9. Subservience to the leader or group requires members to cut ties with family and friends, and to radically alter the personal goals and activities they had before they joined the group.

10.  The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.
. . .
11.  Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities.

12.  Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.

13.  The most loyal members (the “true believers”) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group. They believe there is no other way to be and often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group.

The above portion has been extracted from:  https://www.icsahome.com/articles/characteristics

« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 07:23:47 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 07:07:44 pm »

I am former staff at a Collegiate Church Network church. When I was new to the movement it was undergoing rebranding from GCM to Collegiate Church Network. At the time I had no context for what this meant. Later on I would find this website and bring it to the leaders of my group, confused. It was all explained away, and I was told that Collegiate and GCM are very different despite their shared history. But they're cut from the same cloth, and still led by some of the same dangerous people - people who were "discipled" by even more dangerous people.

I'm writing this in case anyone from Collegiate Church Network finds themselves here. After getting to be behind the curtain as a staffer, many of the concerns and suspicions I had as a student were confirmed. Many (not all) of the same issues that applied to GCx churches still apply to Collegiate. If you sense something, listen to yourself. And though I believe some people do have good experiences in some Collegiate churches...my advice would be to get out.

-Giraffe1,  2020

Hello-- I have recently been having some contact with a group called H2O at the University of Cincinnati.  I wonder if anyone can confirm that this group is a descendant of the GCM, or might have any insights into this group?  Trying to be cautious.  Thanks and God bless.

-MBJ,  2022

Link to H2O Upcoming Conference:
http://h2ochurchnetwork.com/conference-2023

Link to H2O Churches Page:
http://h2ochurchnetwork.com/locations

Link to CCN Groups:
https://www.collegiate.church/churches

It seems the answer to MBJ’s question is yes, they are connected to GCM/Reliant. Look at the bottom of the page. The contact information for this college outreach group is Reliant.org. The H2O network appears to presently operate out of Bowling Green. One of its locations is Ohio State University in Columbus where many of us traveled to visit the GCC, GCI, GCAC, GCM, CCN or whatever they’ve deceptively changed their name to today - now H2O “Church Group”.

There is still a CCN Page up with nine H2O churches; and Crossroads, Michigan, and Texas Regions with several churches each. Undoubtedly, some real or spiritual “children or grandchildren (disciples)” of McCotter or his personally appointed leaders are “guiding” those college groups. Potentially quite scary!!!

While there may be unknowing groups or people who have “partnered” with CCN/Reliant who don’t share any history with GCx; it would be prudent to find a group outside of Reliant because the yeast of GCx can infiltrate the whole “batch”. Guessing the majority of CCN staff have a loyal history with GCM/GCx. It is imperative to communicate that 100’s and likely 1000’s of former members would also tell those considering their upcoming conferences, especially LT, that it would be safest to stay far away.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:03:32 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 09:31:58 pm »

University of Nebraska - Omaha  - College Group is called CF or Campus Fellowship. They are the only LIFT Network Campus Fellowship whose link (on the first post) connected me. All the other links under LIFT Network College Groups said “Page Not Found.” CF Website says UN-Omaha “are actively involved with Candlewood Church” in Omaha. That church’s website has “Candlewood Church” in very small pale letters, but “Omaha Church Services” in big bold letters, followed by times and address. Guessing they are in the middle of a name change.

University of Nebraska - Lincoln. - College Group is called Challenge. Found college group under Sower Church in Lincoln website. The church’s website also lists KNCSB or Kansas Nebraska Convention of Southern Baptists as a partner. But, then it shows they also partner with Heartland Church Network. As of October 2016 that was one of GCx’s five regional ministries. One of the Sower Church Team pastors is also the son of a “life-long” GCx (National) Leader. So looks like still connected.

Link to “Who We Are” including partnerships at bottom of page
https://sowerchurch.com/about/who-we-are/

One person has reported that the GCx Church connected with University of Nebraska in Lincoln has ‘become Southern Baptist’ and changed it’s name to Sower Church. However, some leaders there have been heavily influenced by GCx “diehards.”  

Be interested in understanding how easy it is to ‘become partnered’ with the Southern Baptist Convention, and just how accountable they hold their churches in their teaching and practices.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 03:52:57 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 12:30:38 pm »

This church below, [GCx] Grace Community Church, at North Carolina State University, is obviously recruiting students from that University & people from the surrounding area. We have heard second hand from at least one reliable source that this church group is definitely NOT a safe place. I would encourage people to steer clear of them. The source is someone other than the poster below. Students & parents beware.

They are also listed with other “formerly” named GCM churches under the Southeast Church Alliance - SECA above on this thread.  Here is the current link for the SECA churches:

https://www.sechurchalliance.org/our-churches

I know that [GCx] Grace (at North Carolina state headed by Berk Wilson and Ed Russ) have joined Reliant, which looks to me like a GCX rebrand. Same language but makes them harder to google when nervous parents have questions.

-lovebombed,   2020

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 06:48:20 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 12:07:25 pm »

John and Mark are in the process of starting a new association that will involve the west and southwest regions. In other words, a split is happening over the Darling situation. … Lo and behold, Summitview in Colorado and Rio in El Paso are no longer listed as GCC churches. In fact, Rio claims that they are part of the "newly formed M28 Alliance".

Once again, apparently GCx is morphing into a new organization. Good move to remove the GCx from the name! Very clever to refer to Matthew 28. I see what you did there, M28 Alliance. You kept "Great Commission" in your name without using the searchable words "Great" and "Commission" and "Churches". …

The other thing to point out is that there seems to be division in the ranks. Of course, this will not be presented as division, because the "band of brothers" must be "loyal" till death, so it will no doubt be presented as two groups united in preaching the Gospel to all the world…

-Linda,   2019

Below is the website for M28 Alliance:

M28 Alliance Churches

https://www.m28alliance.com/churches/

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 07:55:14 pm »

The following post by Linda in 2014 has been copied to this thread from “Great Commission Ministries?” Topic under the General Discussion Section to include some important documented name changes in the history of GCx. This particular list doesn’t go back to the 70’s where GCx was originally formed. But, it does highlight some of the locations in 2014 of GCx founded groups both on and off the campus. Most of the off-campus churches seem to be made up of many people who were originally recruited on a college campus and have stayed with the organization.

From the horses mouth (GCC web page):

We know that Great Commission International (GCI) was formed in 1983.

In 1989, GCI was changed to Great Commission Association of Churches, which is shortened today to GCC.

GCM was formed by GCC in 1989. I believe GCC pastor Dave Bovenmyer founded GCM.

GCM at some point around 2006 became more of a collection agency for support for GCC missionaries, church planters, etc. They also decided to collect and distribute contributions for other groups like the Acts 29 Network.

GCM was more than a collection/distribution center for missionaries in that there were a few GCM churches. Here is a list, Tom Maruiello sent me of the GCM churches as of 2008:

GCM Churches:

·         Ball State Revolution

·         Bowling Green, Ohio

·         H20 Orlando

·         Illini Life, U of IL

·         Illinois State Illini Life

·         New Life Church, U of M Campus Church

·         Ohio State

·         University of Maryland Church

·         The Rock, University of Missouri

·         New Life Campus Fellowship, Virginia Tech

·         Riverview Church, Lansing MI

·         Texas A&M University

·         University of Texas

·         University of North Texas

·         Kairos & Kairos West, Los Angeles

·         Heritage Church, Ohio (affiliate)

Back to GCM. The above list of GCM churches was sent to me from Tom Mauriello who is the head honcho guy of GCM. In 2012, GCM distanced themselves from these churches with a name change. Instead of being GCM churches these churches became Collegiate Church Network churches (getting rid of the pesky "Great Commission" part of the name). On the GCM web page they go great lengths to say it is "incorrect" to refer to GCM churches, but I emphasize, the list I gave you of GCM churches was sent to me directly from Tom Mauriello. So, GCM churches are now called Collegiate Church Network Churches.

So, bottom line:

GCI changed its name to GCC. GCC started GCM. GCM started some churches. GCM church leaders adopted a new name in 2012 which was Collegiate Church Network. These groups have a common history, common leaders, and a common DNA.

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2023, 09:15:07 pm »

When going to the GCM page ( https://reliant.org/?source=www.gcmweb.org ) TODAY a banner front pops up saying “RELIANT is the new name for GCM.” This total whitewash of yet another former name, GCM, for the long-standing “GCx” Church Organization should beg a question: “What was wrong with the old name?” The answer can actually be found here on this site in the scores of stories attached to that name, of wounded members reporting rampant spiritual abuse.

Here is a good topic to start researching those experiences of former members: http://forum.gcmwarning.com/general-discussion/a-great-wounding-of-gods-people-in-gcx-churches/

In light of this push to lose the bad reports connected to their former names, these (navy italized) posts below from 2014 are pretty telling of their rebranding of this toxic organization.

The Ball State Revolution site says, "Great Commission Ministries (GCM) is the governing organization of the Revolution. GCM planted the Revolution in 1989 (the same year GCM itself was established).  The GCM organization works with support-based missionaries to bring the Truth of God to those who might not otherwise have an opportunity to hear it. GCM focuses on college campus churches where many life-altering and critical choices are made by young adults.

Linda also informed us the same day:

The GCM web site says, "Today, it is not correct to call any church a “GCM church.” As a mission agency and distinct 501(c)3, GCM is not a church network or denomination and does not have authority over any churches."

This does not at all seem to be the practical truth, but a mere technicality of semantics on paper. It is very sad that this statement above did not serve the benefit of those searching to learn about the group, but the benefit of those allowing spiritual abuse to hide and continue. This is a very very disingenuous representation.

Linda continued to research other GCM Churches the head of GCM listed. This the link on this site: http://forum.gcmwarning.com/general-discussion/great-commission-ministries/

Here is the crucial conclusion in her next entry in 2014:

What becomes clear is that GCM planted churches. These churches still exist under the same name, those names were given to me by the director of GCM, Tom Mauriello, the only thing that has changed is that GCM seems to be denying that it had churches and the churches are now part of a group called Collegiate Church Network.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 05:18:26 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 03:21:58 am »

Ugh...so duplicitous.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2023, 07:07:08 pm »

I find this very interesting because GCC and GCM are separate organizations with the EFCA, however the churches I think most of us think of as GCM are actually GCC.  I find it interesting because for example WCCC claims to be a GCM church as far as I can tell but its leaders stem from GCC.  The financial profiles of these two groups are very different and its interesting to me that GCM and GCC share so much in common. Something just seems fishy.

-nelliepooh,   2011

« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 12:27:46 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2023, 08:21:18 pm »

GCx Churches Escape Reports of Abuse via Name Changes
 & Christian Celebrities

Curious in the history behind Josh McDowell speaking (more than once) at GCx events in the past, I came across a few old posts which surround the time period and the place. EPICenter “Alive Christian Fellowship” was sponsored by Walnut Creek Community Church in Des Moines, Iowa.

It is not so baffling when you think about the likely possibility of some fierce and pricey GCx public relations attempting to escape real reports of spiritual abuse. This organization’s leaders seem to spend an inordinate amount of time, money and effort on white-washing rotten “wood.” Additionally, all speakers or “partners” don’t research the requesting churches. Here are the related posts:

Walnut Creek is not a GC [GCx alias] church that has broken with the cult-like past in any way. In fact, I consider it a hotbed of lunacy. I know it looks nice and fun and cool and "on fire" now, but it's got a nasty dark side that you might not recognize until you're in too deep--or until you wake up one day and realize that you see yourself and the world much more negatively than you used to.
-Rebekah,   2010

I do want to talk to some of the people that have been attending for a long time what their experience has been like as far as obeying the pastors is concerned because I don't think I would want to attend a church that teaches unconditional obedience to the pastors. …

Dr James Christensen of the Heaven & Home Hour is speaking tonight. It sounds like he's not affiliated with the church or movement in any way but he's come here twice now. Is he not aware of the reputation of the church? I am confused. Josh McDowell has come twice in the past with plans for a third visit. Surely he has his reputation to consider and going to a church with questionable reputation would affect his credibility as well. Like I said, I'm confused.
-truthorliesgcm,   2010

After listening to some sermons from last year, I am convinced that this is where they do a significant amount of strong encouragement and pressure to devote your life to GC.  They openly say that.  While I think it's great to study, read, discuss, and worship together, GC takes it to another level. They are very strict on dating and life membership to GC.  The only acceptable way out is literally to die.  Anything other is being divisive. ...

I understand.  I felt a "weird" feeling the first time I went there, but it took 8 years for my brain to catch up to my instinct. ... They are lovebombing you and trying to make you "family".  Run!
-AgathaL’Orange,   2010

I attended Walnut Creek for four years, and I would recommend getting out now.
-anonymous,   2010

I left a very weird church in Des Moines [GCx Walnut Creek (Community) Church]. ... People never seemed to leave under normal circumstances... When people did leave, it was as if they were suddenly cut-off from you... It was always inferred that there was sin in their lives. ... Controlling time and controlling emotions. ... Telling people not to date. ...

Since leaving, I have been afforded several opportunities to interact with other people who have left. They have told me concerns other leaders in the city have. They are basically blacklisted in the community. ... Recently I was asked to give money to one of their "missionaries.” I met with them and felt so sorry for them. I told them that the church is seen negatively in the community. Their answer was that evangelism brings about persecution and they pointed out to me that many famous Christians have been partnering with the church and speaking there. ...

One BIG FLAG that I always had was how they spent the money we gave them. I don't know of any accountability, meaning that we never saw how much came in and how it was spent. ... I heard that Josh MacDowell cost the church $8,000. I'm sure the other speakers they have lined up won't be all that cheaper.
-Time2Write,   2011

« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 04:49:43 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2023, 08:18:01 pm »

… in the [GCx] report it states that GCM became Reliant in 2015.  It also states how Reliant goes back to 1989 with the founding of GCM.  I know the history of this movement and reinventing the name.  I was in the Evergreen location in 2015... I don't recall anything about the name Reliant back then.  Can anyone shed some light on this.  Is it more of the doing things behind the scenes without letting the congregation know. … Who is really behind Reliant…

WoodBern82,   2021

I think it’s important for people to understand that though the name might be changing the beliefs and practices may not be. The bigger issue is who they are in their polity and practice. Has that changed? One of the churches in the Collegiate Church Network (of which Reliant is a direct affiliate with) had many of the same issues listed in the Apology Letter up until at least 2005. I left around then, so I don't know 100% if it is continuing. Probably why the Apology Letter was awkwardly passed around at at least one small group as late as 2004/2005. That is the bigger concern and it’s why we need to make sure every name is recorded and updated so people are not confused. …

I argue that this separation from the administrative portion of the ministry and the actual ministry is misleading, arbitrary and odd. The reality is that Reliant/GCM is just the administrative team WITHIN the Collegiate Church Network/GCM and I'm guessing it makes up 97% of their work. …

In the least it has the potential to be confusing and muddles things. Which will only make it more difficult to pinpoint where an issue comes from. Even if the motives are sincere, it will naturally create distance between the organization and its past. Which is fine -- for lack of a better way to put it -- AS LONG as that past has been dealt with well and, in that, the issues are not repeating themselves.

h2oOrlandoWarning,   2015

You might want to reconsider your assumption that "there has been a formal distancing." You also might want to click on your own link again to see the chameleon nature of the organization. Now they are calling themselves "Reliant," and guess who is on the board of directors? None other than David Bovenmyer, Greg Van Nada, Joe Dunn, and James Kaufman, whose "roots with the ministry run very deep." So it appears that at least half of the board go way back with GCx, and a quarter of the board helped propagate GCx from its earliest years.

-newcreature,   2016

Heads up for those of you in, near, or know someone who's in Bloomington, Indiana. I've received an e-mail stating that Reliant (GCM) is going to plant an H2O church at Indiana University. …

-xray342,   2018

When going to the GCM page ( https://reliant.org/?source=www.gcmweb.org ) TODAY a banner front pops up saying “RELIANT is the new name for GCM.” This total whitewash of yet another former name, GCM, for the long-standing “GCx” Church Organization should beg a question: “What was wrong with the old name?” The answer can actually be found here on this site in the scores of stories attached to that name, of wounded members reporting rampant spiritual abuse.

Here is a good topic to start researching those experiences of former members: http://forum.gcmwarning.com/general-discussion/a-great-wounding-of-gods-people-in-gcx-churches/

-Janet

I'm a young seminary student at a small Baptist school. I really feel that my calling is to minister to college students… I met another young man at a conference recently wearing a "Reliant" shirt, who said that he was a pastor with Collegiate Church Network (which, I found out from a simple internet search which brought me here, is a GCx organization). At first, what he was describing seemed exactly like what I have envisioned for my future ministry. Now that I've looked around this site a bit, I'm very wary of what this guy is telling me. A little extra digging on Reliant's website shows that they used to be GCM

-InfiltrationStation,   2019

Reliant's webpage notes that Great Commission Ministries (GCM) was "founded as the mission agency for the Great Commission Association of Churches" in 1989.  While GCM is a separate entity as Reliant today, GCM in practice was a branch of GCAC.  It was not a separate entity.

GCM was responsible for producing the Great Commission Pastors Conference, Leadership Training (LT) , High School Leadership Training (HSLT), High School Summer Intern Program (SIP).  John Hopler, David Bovenmyer, and Dennis Clark sat on GCM's Board of Directors.  Prior to moving to Florida, GCM was located in Worthington, OH.  In the late 90's early 2000's, GCAC and GCM were tightly enmeshed both in origin and personnel.

-Badger,   2018

« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 08:23:43 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: