Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:42:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jim McCotter speaking at ASU in 2006??  (Read 10798 times)
MamaD
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: March 16, 2007, 08:03:41 pm »

I did google “Jim McCotter” again a couple days ago and found this:

“Hey everyone, do all that you can to get the word out…tomorrow we are blessed to have an Amazing guest speaker leading TRC…Pastor Jim McCotter will be here speaking! You might recognize his name, He’s one of the original Founding members of the GCM. This is a real treat for us to have him here you guys. Round up everyone you can, and no matter what you do, don’t miss it..this is bound to be an impactful, awesome time tomorrow!”

Unfortunately, there wasn’t a date on it and it looks like the site is down. I got it by googling “Jim McCotter” (in quotes) and then going to page 7 of the results. The last result on that page is TRC Forum:Post a Reply. I then went to the cached of that entry and found this item to reply to. There was no date that I could find, but some of you are better at figuring out things like that than I am.

Does anyone know when he spoke at ASU? It must be fairly recently…within the last few years???
nateswinton
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 08:04:02 pm »

It would floor me to hear he spoke in person to a GCM church recently (last decade). Granted, my church did play a video of him a few months ago, but it was his “old incarnation” (my words), before he left and went on the media thing. I think the video was made around the time I was born (early 80’s).

While there are still high thoughts of him in the movement, they are nothing compared to what people think of the Jim they knew in the 70’s.

I’d be very interested to see proof of him speaking in person to a GC church (or even being called a pastor, for that matter).
MamaD
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 08:04:27 pm »

He spoke at TRC inTempe, AZ on April 23, 2006.

Here’s the link cached text:

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:18 pm Post subject: The Rock Church Tomorrow!!!
Hey everyone, do all that you can to get the word out…tomorrow we are blessed to have an Amazing guest speaker leading TRC…Pastor Jim McCotter will be here speaking! You might recognize his name, He’s one of the original Founding members of the GCM. This is a real treat for us to have him here you guys. Round up everyone you can, and no matter what you do, don’t miss it..this is bound to be an impactful, awesome time tomorrow!

How to get it:

Google “Jim McCotter” speaking at TRC.

You will get two results.

Go to the cached (don’t ya love cached stuff!) part of the second entry and you should have the above message.
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 08:04:44 pm »

“link cached text”

Oops! :-)

Take out the word “link”. I’m wearing my glasses, too, so am without excuse. I just gave you the text, not the link because I couldn’t figure out how to get the link to show up. Every time I copied and pasted, it erased my message.

At any rate, follow the directions I gave and you will get the link.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
nateswinton
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 08:05:05 pm »

ok. wow. i’m looking into it.
Genevieve
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 08:05:58 pm »

Did anyone find audio from the ASU McCotter talk? I looked on the web and didn’t see any.
exshep
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 08:07:22 pm »

I did look for the McCotter link at TRC. I am not the “black helicopters conspiracy” type, but did the church do a cleaning of their website? The media links are gone. I could be wrong, I was this morning. I do remember there being links to past sermons including McCotter speaking at TRC. I remember following up on the link after reading a thread on the topic. I do remember seeing the media link.

At the time, it was too late in the evening to listen. Also I could just not bring myself to listen. I can usually listen to aberrant material and separate the wheat from the chaff. This time I knew I was over my head. The wisest thing for me was to respect my emotional boundaries and take a rain check.

I plan to shrug my shoulders and pour a cup of coffee; but it would be interesting to see if my suspicions were confirmed or disproved. Oh well, mañana.

Had friend in Columbus church 80's and 90s. Member left in 1993  Involved GC in Texas  2005-2007.  Empathy to both  with  positive and negative aspects.
MamaD
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 06:45:36 am »

Did anyone ever find out whether or not Jim McCotter spoke at TRC last April?
jehu
Administrator
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 09:45:19 am »

I ran a search and came up swinging at air.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 12:36:27 pm »

Here is an archived copy of that forum post:
http://gcmwarning.com/Articles/McCotterASUArchive.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: