Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:16:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marching To Zion: Available online!  (Read 21398 times)
puff of purple smoke
Administrator
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: December 16, 2008, 10:22:30 pm »

Larry Pile has given permission to publish his book on the Great Commission movement, entitled Marching To Zion, online. I am pleased to announce that the digital version is complete!

Marching To Zion is a thorough history of the movement, with information that both current and former members should find fascinating. It contains both positive and negative details on the movement's founding and following years (70s and 80s), explains where certain modern beliefs came from, analyzes weaknesses and strengths of the movement, contains numerous letters to and from GC elders, and so on.

It has been fully digitized, including the footnotes, images, and appendices, and should read like the hardcopy of the book. That said, please report any issues you may discover with the digital format to me, via private message.

It is available here: http://gcxweb.org/Books/MarchingToZion/Default.aspx

Many thanks to Larry Pile for all his hard work in writing about and compiling information on the movement!
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 03:01:05 pm »

Thanks guys!!!  I'll read it tonight.  Woot!

Glad to be free.
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 04:18:14 pm »

However, being in Ames and “up close and personal” with Jim permitted Paul to learn more than he bargained on. In an account written in 1985 Paul wrote:

During my stay in Ames I began to see some things I did not agree with:

1. Their denial that all their organizations had any connections, but they were all connected and controlled by Jim.

2. Their denial that the ISU Bible studies were not controlled by the elders of the body [i.e., Ames Fellowship Church].

3. The mechanical way people were being discipled. I felt they had sacrificed humanity for forced spirituality.

4. Their contention that all brothers should be elders.

5. Their implication that each person should reach each country in order to fulfill the Great Commission.

6. The constant exhortation in the teaching which was not balanced by encouragement, edification nor doctrine.

This could have been written today, or at least a lot of it.... especially the part about how all the organizations are separate and autonomous.

Glad to be free.
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 04:44:45 pm »

In the weeks and months following the purge others left the Cornerstone, and numerous letters and phone calls passed between the expatriates and others who had left the movement earlier, including several former elders and deacons of churches throughout the movement. In the course of this exchange the idea was put forward of arranging a weekend conference in Kansas City for the purpose of helping the ex-members recover from their recent emotional and spiritual hurts. This conference was held over a weekend in May 1985. The main speakers during the conference were: Paul Martin (“Counting the Cost Psychologically”), Bill Taylor (“Problems with the McCotter Movement”), Mike Royal (“Today's Student, the Rest of the Story”), Henry Hintermeister (“The Slick 50 Story” and “LEI, the Rest of the Story”), Jim Schooler (“We Must Know God”), Ray Moore (“Jim McCotter's 'Apostleship' Re-examined”), and me (“History of Great Commission International”).

Was this conference taped?

Glad to be free.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 04:50:51 pm »

Yes, plus there is transcript in one of the later chapters of Marching To Zion.
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 05:26:58 pm »

There is a teaching tape on apostleship in which Jim McCotter claims that God has given him new light as an apostle.

This one too??  By the way, I am totally impressed, Puff!

Glad to be free.
theresearchpersona

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 05:54:02 pm »

Yay!
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:03:42 pm »

Quote from: "AgathaL'Orange"
There is a teaching tape on apostleship in which Jim McCotter claims that God has given him new light as an apostle.

This one too??  By the way, I am totally impressed, Puff!

I haven't been able to locate this tape. If I had a title that would help. Smiley
saved
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 08:39:42 pm »

Was just taking a quick scan to see what the book was about and found this...

Quote from: "Appendix, Excommunication of Gary Henke"
And look at Numbers 25:10. It was this young priest. And brothers and sisters, do you realize that you’re all priests? And not just men. Jael saved the day when some of the men were a little fearful. She put the tent peg through the wicked man. Do you know what it says in the book of Proverbs? “Like a polluted stream and a muddy well is the righteous man who gives way to the wicked. [Repeated with emphasis.] The doing of justice is a joy to the righteous, but to the workers of iniquity it is a calamity. [Repeated.]” Think of that, Proverbs. Let that be your measuring stick. A standard…

Sister, do you have a question? Is that your husband next to you? Can you ask him later tonight at home? Okay?

Goodness gracious...
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 09:03:29 pm »

Quote from: "saved"
Was just taking a quick scan to see what the book was about and found this...

Quote from: "Appendix, Excommunication of Gary Henke"
And look at Numbers 25:10. It was this young priest. And brothers and sisters, do you realize that you’re all priests? And not just men. Jael saved the day when some of the men were a little fearful. She put the tent peg through the wicked man. Do you know what it says in the book of Proverbs? “Like a polluted stream and a muddy well is the righteous man who gives way to the wicked. [Repeated with emphasis.] The doing of justice is a joy to the righteous, but to the workers of iniquity it is a calamity. [Repeated.]” Think of that, Proverbs. Let that be your measuring stick. A standard…

Sister, do you have a question? Is that your husband next to you? Can you ask him later tonight at home? Okay?

Goodness gracious...

You probably know this, but to clarify for others, that's part of a transcript of Gary Henke's excommunication from GC - and not content written by Larry Pile himself.
Linda

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 09:24:19 pm »

My favorite part of that excommunication was this:
JOY: No. I think it is important that the facts be understood here in that…

DAVE: We do have an appeal process, and as children have a right to appeal to their father, and it would be a different situation if…

JIM SMART: Sister, I rebuke you! Please sit down! Sister, please!

SEVERAL MEN’S VOICES: Amen. Amen.

JOY: Is that the consensus of the group?

BROTHER: You’re out of order.

ANOTHER BROTHER: It’s what’s right.
It is particularly amusing (although probably not so at the time) to note that the transcript has McCotter going on and on for several pages blathering away and finally some meek person tries to ask a question and gets rebuked.

I actually quoted this passage to an ECC elder while trying to explain that there was some pretty nasty stuff in the past. This was at the point when the elder was still listening to our concerns. He even joked back with the phrase "Sister, I rebuke you," and we had a good laugh. A year later, he preached a sermon against Terry's blog (using the Titus 3 faction verses).

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 09:00:18 am »

Quote from: "Linda"
My favorite part of that excommunication was this:
JOY: No. I think it is important that the facts be understood here in that…

DAVE: We do have an appeal process, and as children have a right to appeal to their father, and it would be a different situation if…

JIM SMART: Sister, I rebuke you! Please sit down! Sister, please!

SEVERAL MEN’S VOICES: Amen. Amen.

JOY: Is that the consensus of the group?

BROTHER: You’re out of order.

ANOTHER BROTHER: It’s what’s right.
It is particularly amusing (although probably not so at the time) to note that the transcript has McCotter going on and on for several pages blathering away and finally some meek person tries to ask a question and gets rebuked.

I actually quoted this passage to an ECC elder while trying to explain that there was some pretty nasty stuff in the past. This was at the point when the elder was still listening to our concerns. He even joked back with the phrase "Sister, I rebuke you," and we had a good laugh. A year later, he preached a sermon against Terry's blog (using the Titus 3 faction verses).

It's interesting that they actually taped these excommunications. I wonder, did they sell them just like any other teaching tape?
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 09:54:53 am »

Those time periods are when I'd say the church was definitely a cult.  Now... perhaps it's a TACO, but then, oh yeah.  Cult.  Most certainly.

Glad to be free.
G_Prince

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 01:18:12 pm »

Quote from: "AgathaL'Orange"
Those time periods are when I'd say the church was definitely a cult.  Now... perhaps it's a TACO, but then, oh yeah.  Cult.  Most certainly.

Couldn't agree more. After reading those transcriptions and the Kane report I am convicned that until Jim left (if he ever actually did leave...dun!..dun!..dun!) things were definatly Cult.

Here's an easy way to find out if you're in a cult. If you find yourself asking the question, "am I in a cult?" the answer is yes. -Stephen Colbert
theresearchpersona

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 04:04:43 pm »

Personally I've seen all this type of teaching/practice still: so does that mean it hasn't beccome a TACO, but is still a cult? Just because the men guilty of it have softened their voices and become more subtle doesn't change the nature and implications of it.

With that, I think I'm going to go-off and read M2Z pretty quickly.

Interestingly, the verses about women asking questions in Church: that is about curiosities, I think (that is, if a woman has doctrinal/theological questions, i.e. curiosity), not about a woman "questioning"/fighting a false teaching! Now I know it says such things as "women are to be silent in the Churches", and as uncomfortable with our modern, English, American, etc. minds as this statement may be, most Churches are ignoring that one. But what a misapplication that (McCotter demonstrated) of a verse to tell a bold girl to shut up! Personally I'm glad for her boldness for truth. : )
nolongergci
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 03:51:34 pm »

This is my first posting, even though I've been reading the info for over a year. I don't know about a lot of the info in the book except what pertains to my former church. Much of it is true, some is not. The info is just from one side. I know it was said that transcripts were sent to all to confirm the accuracy, but I don't think it was in this case.

The greatest concern I have with the book (at least my ex-church's account) is that sin was confessed, repented of and forgiveness was granted by those affected. This was done more than 15 years ago. I'm afraid bad feelings may be stirred up among those who have gotten right with each other. Ones who don't know of this restoration could take up offenses for those who have dealt with it biblically. Ones could have negative feelings towards those (who are named), even though God and others have forgiven.

Does any of this make sense?
Linda

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 04:04:13 pm »

Quote from: nolongergci
Much of it is true, some is not.
What is not true? Please be specific so we can make sure that public correction is given. Thanks.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
EverAStudent
Private Forum Access

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 04:53:27 pm »

Greetings nolongergci!

Much of [Marching to Zion] is true, some is not.

If you have specific statements in the book that you know to be incorrect (please quote the sentence or the paragraph that contains the error) please go to http://gcmwarning.com:8080/decomm/index.php/topic,718.0.html (it is the thread under Jim McCotter and GCI / Factual Errors in the Book Marching to Zion) and identify the page and the sentence, and, if you have any evidence to cite that makes the sentence from the book appear to be in error, please cite the evidence.  Warning: allegations of character flaws are not tolerated on that thread against the book's author, only matters of factual accuracy.

Quote from: nolongeringci
The greatest concern I have with the book (at least my ex-church's account) is that sin was confessed, repented of and forgiveness was granted by those affected. This was done more than 15 years ago. I'm afraid bad feelings may be stirred up among those who have gotten right with each other. Ones who don't know of this restoration could take up offenses for those who have dealt with it biblically. Ones could have negative feelings towards those (who are named), even though God and others have forgiven.

Each person is responsible to God for how they react to another person's life story.  Since so many peoples' sins are recorded in the Bible (e.g. Peter's bias against the Jews, Paul's fight with Barnabas, Diotrephes' rejection of the apostles' doctrines) it is clear that God does not frown on the public recording of past sins--assuming such accounts are being used for the godly purpose of warning and training others, as is the case with Marching to Zion.  It is the responsibility of the reader, not the writer, to react correctly, so long as the writer's material is accurate and true.

Thank you for posting.

nolongergci
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 05:42:44 pm »

Greetings nolongergci!

Much of [Marching to Zion] is true, some is not.

I don't know or claim to know that the book is true or not. My statement was in regard to my ex-church.

If you have specific statements in the book that you know to be incorrect (please quote the sentence or the paragraph that contains the error) please go to http://gcmwarning.com:8080/decomm/index.php/topic,718.0.html (it is the thread under Jim McCotter and GCI / Factual Errors in the Book Marching to Zion) and identify the page and the sentence, and, if you have any evidence to cite that makes the sentence from the book appear to be in error, please cite the evidence.  Warning: allegations of character flaws are not tolerated on that thread against the book's author, only matters of factual accuracy.

I don't know how to do this without revealing who I am. I am not comfortable "coming out" yet.   Smiley

Quote from: nolongeringci

Each person is responsible to God for how they react to another person's life story.  Since so many peoples' sins are recorded in the Bible (e.g. Peter's bias against the Jews, Paul's fight with Barnabas, Diotrephes' rejection of the apostles' doctrines) it is clear that God does not frown on the public recording of past sins--assuming such accounts are being used for the godly purpose of warning and training others, as is the case with Marching to Zion.  It is the responsibility of the reader, not the writer, to react correctly, so long as the writer's material is accurate and true.

The difference with the Bible is that not only is sin recorded, but repentance also (if it happened). Perhaps there needs to be a follow up to show the rest of the story. If it happened in my ex-church, it may have happened elsewhere.

EverAStudent
Private Forum Access

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 07:23:27 pm »

I don't know how to do this without revealing who I am. I am not comfortable "coming out" yet. 

Yes, coming out can certainly be costly.

The difference with the Bible is that not only is sin recorded, but repentance also (if it happened). Perhaps there needs to be a follow up to show the rest of the story. If it happened in my ex-church, it may have happened elsewhere.

Actually, there are numerous instances where the writer of Scripture recorded a sin, even the confrontation of sin, but not whether the sinner repented:  Diotrephes, Alexander, Paul and Barnabas.  So, I am more concerned that people who read Marching to Zion treat the story properly and react to it properly than with the fact that it was written in the first place.  In truth, it may convince some who never did repent to do so. 

It certainly helps to show those who were in leadership at the time how destructive their doctrines and policies had become in practice at the local church level.  That learning point alone should never be lost.  Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: