Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:53:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REVISITING McCotter HISTORY: Opening A Blind Eye  (Read 30543 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: March 11, 2018, 03:41:21 pm »

REVIVISTING MCCotter HISTORY:  Opening A Blind Eye

Here is a telling article on how McCotter conducts business, not too dissimilar to his running a church, with harsh arrogance and blatant disregard for the people under him.

http://gcxweb.org/Articles/TheWeekly-01-17-1991.aspx

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 03:49:31 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 03:49:11 pm »

In case you thought it was just one savage streak, here is another:

http://gcxweb.org/Articles/ANN-05-10-2003.aspx

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 04:33:49 pm »

This is a repost of an earlier look at God anointed versus self-appointed spiritual leaders.  If you didn't know before now, Jim McCotter was indeed a self appointed spiritual leader.  He was the main man to be feared in GCx churches for many years.  What he said was not questioned, publicly at least.  If it was, those people were blacklisted by McCotter.

I remember being called out of bed in the middle of the night along with the rest of the church to a public venue to hear a fierce speech by McCotter accusing three (former) leaders of being dogs used by Satan to attack the sheep.  He spit out all kinds vehement descriptions of these men, warning us never to listen to them.  Some of us were shaking in our boots.  Turns out these men were formers elders of GCx churches trying to warn God's people in GCx churches of the dangers of McCotter who was the spiritual wolf himself.  They certainly knew that he was NOT called by God, nor anointed to lead God's people.

GOD ANOINTED VS. SELF APPOINTED SPIRITUAL LEADERS

"Though untrained in public speaking, I am certainly not untrained in knowledge"

2 Corinthians 11:6

"When I was present with you and in need, I did not burden anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied my needs. I have kept myself, and will keep myself, from burdening you in any way"

2 Corinthians 11:9

Paul's humble attitude toward the believers he ministered to is very different from the attitude I witnessed and received first hand under Jim McCotter when I attended the GCx church in Maryland.  Paul, apparently, was not a charismatic speaker and thus probably did not use slick persuasive tone, expression, or words to deliver his messages; but relied upon the pure power of Grace & Truth itself.  He comes across as unassuming, meek, somewhat reticent at asking for financial support, and even inferior to the other apostles.  This is in glaring contrast to GCx founder, McCotter, who instead wanted us to know he was superior to us because he boasted of a relationship with God only few could share, and claimed that he had higher revelation about God's plans to reach the world than any other current christian leader or church group.  In fact, it seems he said or implied since the first century!  Although he talked about GCx leadership's (implying his) humility, dedication, and meekness, he not only showed no hesitation over the all the time, money, family, friends and careers he necessitated we surrender "to God", but he gave an utter condemnation on the unworthiness of the believer who would not.  It was only "right" and "obedient" that we suffer to accomplish the grand plans he dictated were God's will.  He actually acted as if he were the one to be feared.  

"I know that, after my departure, savage wolves will come in among you and won’t spare the flock.  Some of your own people will distort the word in order to lure followers after them.  Stay alert! Remember that for three years I constantly and tearfully warned each one of you. I never stopped warning you!"

Acts 20:29-31

This GCx founders' callous, brutal, and cruel treatment of believers was evidence of his godlessness.  Those who intimidate, frighten, and castigate others are NOT DEVOTED TO or LOVING GOD, no matter what they say.  Only those who practice the second commandment are really following the first.  Paul did not teach or disciple this way and neither did Jesus.  Jesus never manipulates or condemns us to action.  Through voluntary faith he changes us, instead.  He truly is abounding in compassion and lovingkindness.  

"Remind them of these things, charging them before God not to fight about words; this is in no way profitable and leads to the ruin of the hearers.  Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who doesn’t need to be ashamed, correctly teaching the word of truth.  But avoid irreverent, empty speech, for this will produce an even greater measure of godlessness."

2 Timothy 2:14-16   HCSB

If you watch the Spiritual Gifts Video of Jim McCotter, http://gcxweb.org/Misc/ApostleshipVideo/Default.aspx (on this site), you can actually note these numerous empty arguments and prolonged discussion on "higher or better knowledge" of particular biblical words (which are not founded) and the distorted definitions he attempts to build upon.  It's so empty and void of Truth that he doesn't even list the other four out of five scriptures that supposedly back up his "argument".  In fact, he claims his audience of believers they are too proud and immature to receive them.  Even his personal group prayer is empty and irreverent and VERY manipulative.  I had no idea he didn't even stop and close his eyes, his eyes dart over the room as if he'll be caught, all the while he moves to his next agenda.    

"That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you... You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free."

Galatians 5:8,13

Perhaps if we have not been in a church with doctrinally sound or "approved" teachers and leaders before, we might not understand what one should look like .  As long as they are preaching Jesus and the same bible, we may think it has God's stamp of approval.  However, there is a stark difference between an approved bible teacher and one who distorts the word to subtly lure and attract followers to themselves away from the main body of Christ.  This teacher God' says should be ashamed.  They use LOTS of empty arguments, empty logic, and empty reasoning for the purpose of PERSUASION.  Why would persuasion to virtually isolate believers from other sound christian teaching be necessary if the "love of Christ CONTROLS us"?  

"Your boasting is not good. Don’t you know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough?"  

1 Corinthians 5:6

By GCx not standing against or condemning this man's evil teaching and actions they have perpetuated them and fostered their growth as the above truth tells us.  That is obvious in the past, current and recent claims on this site.  They continue to influence, confuse, deceive and hurt believers in these churches.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 05:17:08 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:04:41 pm »

Wow, Janet. 

Sounds intimidating and downright scary!!

Calling people dogs who did not agree with him.

Sounds a little bit like....well, never mind.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:19:18 pm »

Yes, he was extremely intimidating.  But, he'd be sure to follow up with a fake smile.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 05:23:37 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 05:38:25 pm »

Chilling. 

Perhaps I was more interested in reading the history of the movement because I was involved during some of those years, but it was so shocking to read about  all the excommunications.  Just gutting people's lives who had given so much.  For "unity"? The arrogance is astonishing. 

And then you look at the way Jim's life has been lived since he so mysteriously exited.  Not exactly a replica of Apostle Paul. 
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 06:07:41 pm »

Definitely not!  

At the time I was so mesmerized or "bewitched" (as the Bible calls it in Galatians) by McCotter's boasting of himself I nearly believed he wouldn't stand far from the right hand of God (in heaven).  I ponder how in the world I could have been so fooled.  In retrospect, he seems closer to an agent of Satan disguising himself as an angel of light.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:20:27 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 08:25:48 pm »

This is a repost of an earlier look at God anointed versus self-appointed spiritual leaders.  If you didn't know before now, Jim McCotter was indeed a self appointed spiritual leader.  He was the main man to be feared in GCx churches for many years.  What he said was not questioned, publicly at least.  If it was, those people were blacklisted by McCotter.

I remember being called out of bed in the middle of the night along with the rest of the church to a public venue to hear a fierce speech by McCotter accusing three (former) leaders of being dogs used by Satan to attack the sheep.  He spit out all kinds vehement descriptions of these men, warning us never to listen to them.  Some of us were shaking in our boots.  Turns out these men were formers elders of GCx churches trying to warn God's people in GCx churches of the dangers of McCotter who was the spiritual wolf himself.  They certainly knew that he was NOT called by God, nor anointed to lead God's people.

WHOA!

Janet, that is crazy scary.  Where were you that you were called from your bed?  Can you explain more about that?  What year would have have been?  That must have been incredibly traumatizing.  How have I missed these parts of your story?  I had no idea, or I'd forgotten this was your experience.  

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:27:29 pm by AgathaL'Orange » Logged

Glad to be free.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 08:40:23 pm »

Echoing what Agatha said.   I had no idea either, and I would love to hear more.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:20:57 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 08:46:33 am »

The timeframe for this "emergency" meeting in the middle of the night was I think between 1982 & 1984.  We were called to a public school and assembled in their gym.  At that time more teams had moved to Maryland from Iowa and Ohio so I remember the group being of considerable size.  It was quite clear that the information about to be shared was of extreme urgency.  Some of us were still half asleep as the hostile pronouncement began.  It was a reviling of persons hazardous to our welfare. Treacherous enemies to "The Church", as we called ourselves then.  The stern scorn of these people went on and on.  And, of course, their names were mentioned no few times. We were being told with sharp rebuke to listen to them would be to our peril.

They had been elders of the GCx members and were communicating caution to those in GCx about the treacherous conduct and teaching of McCotter.  They were obeying the scriptures in keeping watch over all the flock.  They were biblically warning them of the dangerous environment those members were caught in.

"Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.  I know that after I leave, SAVAGE WOLVES will come in among you and WILL NOT SPARE THE FLOCK.  Even from your own number men will arise and DISTORT THE TRUTH in order to DRAW AWAY disciples AFTER THEM.  So BE ON YOUR GUARD!  Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears."
Acts 20: 28-31

Perhaps others who were in Silver Spring/College Park, Maryland at that time who may read here may remember additional details from this meeting.

As many of McCotters harmful authoritative measures, these practices are still carried out today, though with more subtlety.  It is still pronounced that to listen to us would be dangerous and even sinful.  We are still labeled as enemies of GCx and of the cross.  It would be wise to read here for yourselves before you decide that blindly as many GCx churches would strongly persuade.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:46:41 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 09:00:19 am »

Yikes. The fact that GCx, to my knowledge, had never publicly and humbly distanced themselves from McCotter and called him out as a false teacher is probably one of the single biggest red flags regarding the GCx movement. That alone is reason enough to leave this church movement in my opinion. And reason enough to continue posting on this forum.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 09:01:40 am »

Oh, wow, Janet, so many mental images and phrases went through my head when I read that, things like "Jim Jones" and "horror movie" and "cult leader."

Not saying that GC is or was a cult. Just giving my impressions as I read your story. Wow.
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 09:42:04 am »

That is just wild.  How did the members receive these pronouncements?  How did you?  Did you feel they were correct at the time? Did it red flag with you or scare you?  Or were you under the mindset of the group?

Do you ever have flashbacks from that?  The way you described it, the waking you from sound sleep when you would be suggestible and on alert, would give me awful memories. 

I'm very sorry, Janet, for you and those they called out so viciously. 

Glad to be free.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 12:15:35 pm »

I do remember thinking the vicious attacks upon their character seemed to be a little overreactive after learning that the "sin" they were accused of was just speaking critically of the leaders and "The Church".  But, it was connected so strongly with loyalty to God, I accepted it.  It did ingrain in me a fear of ever being critical of "The church".  My closest companions were now all in the church since I had much less interaction with family and those outside the church, so I also accepted it because they did.  

There were other instances of people being "shunned" in our local church because they were critical of the methods of the church.  They were talked about as though they themselves were evil.  It always shot fear through me when I heard about it.  The fear card was used very successfully in our little local church.  I kind of feared I'd be rebuked.  I was by "disciplers", but for very ridiculous nonbiblical stuff.  

If any of us had the guts to be honest, and openly question things back then we would have put two and two together and concluded this was NOT normal Christianity.  But, we were pretty isolated from normal Christianity back then.  We could have safely supported each other and left.  GCx members reported this kind of questioning so it was controlled enough to be squelched.  

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:08:21 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 06:15:30 am »

Janet,

As to the middle of the night raid and rant by Jim McCotter, because evil dogs were critical of him or the movement, this is toward the end of his stint in the movement, right?  So, could it be that there was more and more push back even within the leadership and he was losing control?  He was all about control, right? I mean, you did not question or say anything or THINK anything critical of the top Apostle, right? So this kind of gestapo in the night emergency meeting might have been an indication, looking back, that he was losing control.

And when he left, didn't that give this crack in the exit door to a lot of people who had questions and concerns? Is that when you made your flight? What did you think when Jim McCotter left, after the fear that had been instilled into you?

As to the FEAR CARD:

This is what I experienced: I am like Moses. Warning! Grumble and be swallowed up.

Or I have heard first hand of these fear tactics at Evergreen:

We are the church God placed you in. Leave and you will be spiritual orphans.

I am your pastor/husband. Leave and you are guilty of divorce.

Listen to us, those who God has placed over you. Leave and it proves you are deceived and listening to Satan.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 02:34:54 pm »

Quite possibly.  My head was still in the sand when he left.  After a long period of not seeing him we did finally ponder why he went missing in action. We minions hadn't a clue.  There was never any public announcement UNTIL the talk and the questions could not be squelched.  It came as a complete surprise when it was finally publically told that he left to pursue other ventures.  It seemed to go against everything that he taught.

Definitely those same fear tactics were taught in Maryland.  I had wanted to leave in my heart much sooner than I actually did, by years.  The mental pull was awfully strong to stay because of the "loyalty to GCx = loyalty to God" teaching.  I left after I "secretly" read a book (they would not have approved of) written by an author (they would not have approved of) and discovered for the first time my church was NOT TEACHING NOR PRACTICING GRACE as God teaches us in the Bible.  I would read when and where no was looking or they were sure to try to stop me, and the book was too refreshing to give up.  That book was "The Grace Awakening" by Chuck Swindoll.  

That was just the first layer of error uncovered.  Then, I read "Churches That Abuse" by Enroth and nearly went into shock at the next layer of very aberrant teachings I realized I had been under.  Later, I read "Toxic Faith" by Stephen Arterburn.  Whew!  I began to take in the depth and breadth of the toxic environment I had been entangled in. I am still not totally recovered from it, but am learning more daily from Jesus through personal time with him and healthy teaching.  And a lot of crying out to Him for help.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:10:31 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 02:39:23 pm »

We were told by our pastor at our GC church to "stop reading so many Christian books" and just to rely on the Bible.  And I've been shocked that even in the past three months, here on decom, GC members have been very literal about what kinds of things are "Biblical" if they are not specifically written in the Bible.  I know this isn't everywhere at every location, but it is still a thread that seems to run through the movement. 

Glad to be free.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 04:16:07 pm »

Yes, Agatha, it seems within the last 6 years or so, someone from a GCx church shared here that they were told not to read Beth Moore.  That would have been at least 20 years after the "Apology paper". 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:19:02 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Godtrumpsall
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 08:13:07 pm »

Yes, Agatha, it seems within the last 6 years or so, someone from a GCx church shared here that they were told not to read Beth Moore.  That would have been at least 20 years after the "Apology paper". 

I mentioned this before on this forum...have you done any research on Beth Moore lately?  She has been moving in a direction of questionable teachings.  Including contemplative prayer....steeped in new age beliefs and mysticism.  Here are a few links to let you read up on her teachings:  (so maybe a pastor saying we should not be reading Beth Moore knew a thing or two about the direction she was taking her teachings, I have thrown away a book of hers I had, not because my pastor told me to, but because I have read enough information from various sources that made me start to dig into what she believes and teaches, and I found it to be deceptive)

http://www.deliveredbygrace.com/say-no-more-beth-moore/
http://pulpitandpen.org/2017/05/31/lauran-breaks-free-of-beth-moore-a-testimony/
http://pulpitandpen.org/2016/06/29/beth-moore-holly-wagner-putting-the-her-in-heresy/
http://www.828ministries.com/Diary/Beth-Moore-Displays-the-Su-by-Anthony-Wade-Christianity_Faith_Spirituality-170108-434.html

Maybe you believe in her teachings, which is your prerogative.  Is she a good author, sure.  Does she have some good things to say that are encouraging, why yes.  But there are things she promotes and teaches that are in direct opposition to scriptures.  Do a little digging into new age mysticism.  Everyone is all up in here trying to "protect" people from GCx when there are movements happening all around us that are dangerous and decptive to Christianity as we know it,  and will suck in our kids in if we are not aware and paying attention; time to wake up Christians! 

I must say that many years ago (after the apology letter) we used Beth Moore's book for a women's small group...it was our guide.  The church has used other books in church wide studies.  So again, a lot of speculation and gossip leads people to believe in things that just are not true. 
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 06:33:35 am »

Those who claim that multiple testimonies of the same practices at GCx churches are just gossip is PLAIN SLANDER upon the honest stories others have taken the time to share here.  If there were a large room of people gathered in a circle to tell their heartfelt stories of spiritual abuse and someone there spoke up and said, "I can't listen to this anymore.  What you are all saying is just gossip (and/or slander)!".  They would be viewed by any "hearing" person as deaf or in denial.  The scripture speaks about such children of God:

"Bring my sons from afar
and my daughters from the ends of the earth--
everyone who is called by my name,
whom I created for my glory,
whom I formed and made.
Lead out those who have eyes but are blind,
who have ears but are deaf
."
Isaiah 43:7-8

I was definitely once in both of those categories and understand the burden of denial that some loyally carry. However, it is very unhealthy and dangerous.  You would have to be deaf or in denial to dismiss the many testimonies, articles, papers, and books on here that speak of the founding isolationist teachings of GCx to stay away from most other Christian authors and counselors outside the GCx sect.  

As far as Beth Moore as a spiritually gifted Bible teacher is concerned.  Too many sound Bible teachers would disagree with the sources listed above because they greatly stretch the facts and simply do not carry much weight.  Here is what I learned about two of them previously:

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad someone brought up Beth Moore and Priscilla Shirer and their Bible Study Series on Prayer.  I didn't know about it.  So I googled it and read excerpts from the book cited by the group that actually attacks them.  (See link below.)  I was so excited when I learned what their series includes I'm thinking about ordering it and doing it with my neighbors!  

Listening to the Holy Spirit is something we were definitely not encouraged in or supported in doing in GCx. Many have written about that large missing theology in GCx.  Here's a way to catch up a little on the truth of Him!  

Looked to see who else they loved to hate - oh - Andy Stanley.  That makes me want check out and possibly drink in what he's been teaching that bothers them.  Is it jealousy that drives this hatred?  

Anyhow, please don't take this site link as support for the publisher's theology.  Quite the opposite, learn what good may be happening or where God may be working from their disapproval of it (not all of course).  And yes, they seem to disapprove of Henry Blackaby, too.

Enjoy:

http://pulpitandpen.org/2016/09/09/priscilla-shirer-womens-bible-mis-studies-when-your-church-doesnt-care-about-your-soul-or-the-scripture/

Back again to the group sessions sharing REAL SPIRITUAL ABUSE.  Those who sit in on the discussion to mock, accuse, and even harass the REAL VICTIMS are in NO WAY BEING HONORABLE OR RESPECTFUL.  They can choose to listen respectfully or FIND ANOTHER GROUP.  Their purposes are clearly at odds with the purposes of this one.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:54:25 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: