Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:55:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sins of False Teachers  (Read 14077 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: September 14, 2015, 08:12:32 pm »

The Sins of False Teachers

What seems to make God so angry with False Teaching is how much it hurts and wounds his own children.  False Teaching is a sin against believers attacking their present active faith (not their eternal saving faith) to weaken and shipwreck it. It is inspired by the devil in a calculated plan to teach ungodly and harmful "ideas" through persuasion that sound and look godly. The Bible actually calls False Teaching  "the doctrine of demons".  Unfornately, those in the church can become Satan's agents to proclaim these "ideas" as if from God himself. The word of God calls False Teachers WOLVES in sheep's clothing. Why would "teachings" that seem to come from the bible and even seem "godly" be so harmful?  Because they are NOT FOUNDED upon the precious Blood of Christ, NOR CONNECTED with faith! Not only are they inaccurate and erroneous, but they rely on the supposedly "higher" thoughts and ways of mere men. These ways God SAYS are like filthy rags!

Those following these foolish ways actually start to disconnect from relying upon the blood of Christ for their confidence before God. They are insidiously pressured to perform special "spiritual" deeds instead. Thus, they become trained (through constant teaching and example) to use these performances to puff themselves up, and even shame and condemn non-conforming others to beat them down. These foolish believers become arrogant rather than humble, and competitively jealous rather than sincerely loving.

Healthy Christian churches do NOT operate like this! I and many many others can testify. We have seen it and experienced being under true teaching, and the IMMENSE difference it makes to the body. TRUE Teaching produces humility and love, healing and increasing faith. False Teaching produces arrogance and jealousy, wounding and decreasing faith. This website testifies and verifies the FRUIT of GCX's False Teaching LOUD and CLEAR.

Read for yourself.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:27:52 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 07:47:01 am »

And this is why I'm struggling so much to trust another church. Decades of this type of teaching doesn't just get out overnight. Wondering if I'll ever trust again.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 08:00:34 am »

If they are the nonconformists you spoke of, Janet, then the false teaching causes them to become self-absorbed, self-blaming, and fixated on their own failures instead of looking outward and upward to Christ. The bad fruit of false doctrine manifests itself in so many different ways.

Margaret, I know how you feel. A church has to earn our trust; it's not theirs to demand.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 08:43:07 am »

Exactly, Huldah!!!

Margaret, being there for three decades is not easily overcome.  Being there one decade has been challenging for me.  But, I believe God wants to give great hope to you and use you, especially, to reach sooo many others who have spent much of their lives under this kind of condemning teaching.  

Like the recent movie, "War Room", we, too, can pray & claim out loud to God, ourselves & the devil.  
Let's claim HIS TRUTH boldly instead (of the lies we assimilated):

'Jesus, you will surely comfort me and have compassion on all my ruins!
 You will make my deserts like Eden!
 You will make my wastelands like the garden of the Lord!'

(Based on Isaiah 51:3)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:01:55 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Outtathere
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 11:08:50 am »

I thought you all might like this article by Jim McCotter that was written recently entitles, 9 Marks of a Cult (and should be subtitled, "How I gained a following"):
http://greenwoodfellowship.com/jim_mccotter_messages/articles/9_marks_of_a_cult
Linda

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 11:40:03 am »

That McCotter link!!! I have no words.

Well, okay, I have a couple words.

Since McCotter has never publicly distanced himself from his teaching while at GC (that I know of), it seems to me that the list could perhaps be a diversionary tactic to make his teaching look theologically sound. As far as I know, he has never changed his theology from the days of the excommunications. I hope he has and would love to be proven wrong.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 12:20:23 pm »

He loves the "let the wives learn from their husbands at home" line. I heard him use it in a sharp rebuke to a woman in the audience. It was on a cassette tape, and I think it was the "Kansas City Debacle" but I couldn't guarantee the context.
ustawannabee
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 12:21:08 pm »

What a hoot! ...If it weren't  so chilling. Take a look at the rest of the  site.  Head coverings  are back and apparently  on the same level as baptism and communion? !?!?

I actually  find the idea of house churches per se somewhat appealing . However I don't think I could ever do one because of garbage like this . Sad

Now I am free to be me in Christ!
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 12:28:06 pm »

Wow, thanks for posting that link, Outtathere.

I don't have a clue what to make of that article. Has he had a change of heart in his old age? Is this a jab at his old cronies? Is he trying to fake out his critics? Or is he really just that blind to the effects of his own teaching?

Quote from: Jim McKotter
You can always identify Christians that have correct theology by how godly their character is.  

But without correct theology, how can you identify godly character to begin with? What about that whole Satan-disguised-as-an-angel-of-light thing?
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 12:35:29 pm »

Also, it's really deceptive the way he has a link to "Lee Strobel Messages" in the navbar along with the link to "Jim McKotter Messages." Makes it look like Lee Strobel is affiliated with or endorses McKotter in some way, which I'm guessing is not the case at all.
Linda

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 01:25:59 pm »

Marching to Zion includes an excerpt from The Excommunication of Gary Henke.

In it, a woman named Joy McCann tries to ask a question and is shot down with this bit of dialogue from McCotter and others:

JIM: Are you married?

JOY: No, I’m a single woman.

JIM: Where’s your father?

JOY: Uh, I assume he is at home, Sir.

JIM: Is he a believer?

JOY: No. I think it is important that the facts be understood here in that…

DAVE: We do have an appeal process, and as children have a right to appeal to their father, and it would be a different situation if…

JIM SMART: Sister, I rebuke you! Please sit down! Sister, please!

SEVERAL MEN’S VOICES: Amen. Amen.

JOY: Is that the consensus of the group?

BROTHER: You’re out of order.

ANOTHER BROTHER: It’s what’s right.

The "Sister, I rebuke you" part is alternately hilarious and pathetic.

Margaret, this might be the link you were referring to. Earlier he asked Joy if the man next to her was her husband because, if so, he wanted him to explain things to her when they got home. Unbelievable.

Here is the link to the excommunication. McCotter is a man of many words.

http://www.gcxweb.org/Audio/ExcGaryHenke-02-11-1985.aspx

To Joy McCann. If you are reading this, God bless you and thank you for your courage to speak up.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 03:10:56 pm »

What Jim McCotter seems to be doing is right in line with False Teachers in the NT, AND False Prophets in the Old Testament. He is disguising his evil behavior and history as Satan does, as an angel of light (as someone rightly shared). He did the very same thing in the 80's when he attacked and accused the former leaders in his church of being 'ravenous dogs' because they spoke out against him and his actions toward his followers, who were trying to rescue them from his claws. It was both a deflection of his history and an reverse attack on his accusers. My guess is that he is getting some flack in Colorado where his "church" is, probably from this site and other documented warning sites. Wouldn't surprise me if he copied the info he posted from somewhere else.

Yes, the link to Lee Strobel, I believe, is intentionally misleading. Makes one think they share theology and even some kind of connection. Lee Strobel was at a church physically quite close to McCotters but I doubt he has a clue he is deceptively linking him to his site. Perhaps someone should let Mr. Strobel know a False Teacher/Prophet is "connecting" himself to him.

If McCotter were repentant we would know about it. After all, the first people you address after you go to God are the ones you sinned against. He has had many years of opportunity to come forward, especially on the GCxWarningForum Site. It has been outlined to him how he ravenously robbed, abused, and tore apart the faith and soul of sooo many children of God under his supposed "care". His actions speak volumes about his real character. I personally believe he KNOWS what he has done and has seared his conscious against this GROSS sin and abuse. Therefore, I would without hesitation label him as EVIL, as Paul labeled some False Teachers of his day - "evil and imposters".

But, his condemnation and demise are in God's hands and plans. Be sure, like Paul said, he will be condemned. He will be brought to infamy as the OT teaches about False Prophets. This very website is part of God's plan, I believe.

I pray that he will be caught, confronted and condemned in his evil as a fearful example to other false teachers; for the sake of both past and current abused victims. Satan is behind McCotters scheme and is using him to wreak havoc among believers' faith.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:15:53 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

marie
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 08:46:09 pm »

This really is unbelievable.  This is happening again in 2015.  So what happened between 1987 and 2013 Jim?Huh
Nothing he taught and passed on has changed.  Except now the narrow view of the only "Biblical" church is a House church. 
Does that mean that every GCM church that has 50 or more members are not in God's will?

The weaknesses paper that was done in 1991 really means nothing.  There has never been an official renouncing of the False teachings of Jim McCotter.  There has never been an official separation from the teachings of Jim McCotter.  The GCM movement has claimed to be started by Jim McCotter, Dennis Clark and Hershel Martindale.  It was a secret cover-up when Jim McCotter resigned around 1986, and moved to Florida to start some type of media work.  Nothing was mentioned anymore to explain his secret disappearance, or what he was doing to advance the Gospel.  It all seemed strange to me at the time, but I trusted the leadership, and did not ask questions.

The truth was not shared.  Why? 
To me it seems like the loyalty and protection of Jim McCotter was put above loyalty to Jesus.  I believe that Jim McCotter was on a Pedestal that only Jesus should have been on?  I believe that He was an idol to many in leadership, and many church followers. 

True repentance needs to happen if the GCM churches are to be Set Free.  True repentance needs to happen for true reconciliation between the 1000's of believers who have been hurt, disillusioned or walked away from any type of faith.  Our God is a God of Miracles.  I pray for true repentance.  The fruit will be reconciliation.
margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 02:46:03 pm »

Thanks for posting marie, and welcome.
I agree, the abuses are still being practiced. Not on paper, per se, but in practice behind the scenes.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2021, 08:31:04 pm »

This is an article from the Gospel Coalition titled, “How To Spot A False Teacher”. Not sure if I posted this before.

Link:
https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/how-to-spot-a-false-teacher/

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 06:19:13 pm »

Paul Calls Out the Sins of False Teachers

I would have to say the founder of GCx, Jim McCotter, fits quite biblically close to the characteristics of a False Teacher outlined by Paul. Second Corinthians 11 and 12 give a reliable description of such a masquerader. I have only included telling verses in chapter 11 below. As you read the passage below keep in mind that many of the people Paul is addressing have already accepted Christ so they are already familiar with the basics of the gospel. So, it may also be the practice of the gospel of grace that Paul is talking about and how they are being taught to carry out their faith. Paul says they preach Jesus, but obviously with deceptive means to isolate believers unto themselves to be zealous for them.

2 Corinthians 10:1

Now by the mildness and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you—

2 Corinthians 11

I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. For I promised you to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ.

I am afraid, however, that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may be led astray from your simple and pure devotion to Christ. For if someone comes and proclaims a Jesus other than the One we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit than the One you received, or a different gospel than the one you accepted, you put up with it way too easily. I consider myself in no way inferior to those “super-apostles.”

Was it a sin for me to humble myself in order to exalt you, because I preached the gospel of God to you free of charge? ...And when I was with you and in need, I was not a burden to anyone... I have refrained from being a burden to you in any way, and I will continue to do so...

...those who want an opportunity to be regarded as our equals in the things of which they boast. For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their actions.

18Since many are boasting according to the flesh, I too will boast. 19For you gladly tolerate fools, since you are so wise. 20In fact, you even put up with anyone who enslaves you or exploits you or takes advantage of you or exalts himself or strikes you in the face.

Could it be that the “different Jesus and different Spirit” Paul warns against is described right here in the immediate context of his emphatic calling out of wrongs being committed?

Let’s list what Paul seems to highlight as a False Spirit of Shepherding and Leadership:

1. Not mild or gentle Spirit of Christ the Good Shepherd, but harsh and aggressive spirit. Interesting that “Sheep are sensitive to loud noises. Being yelled at, hearing barking dogs, or encountering loud noises can spook, agitate, and trigger flight” (opensanctuary) They are not appealing but demanding. Paul compares False Teachers to wild dogs who scare and attack the sheep, rather than fulfilling Jesus’ commandment to love them by feeding them to build them up and make them strong.

2. Taking the Place of Christ. Absolute Loyalty and Submission to the substitute rather than Jesus is placed upon the follower as a burdensome Yoke. Very close dependence on the substitute such as is only reserved for Christ (as our husband.) The Word says no other can share or intrude upon this position. It must be purely and only Christ. Paul claims False Teachers lead believers into spiritual adultery.

3. Proclaims Jesus, but with conditions. Claims truly following Jesus must meet their requirements and approval. These conditions are always for the benefit and exultation of the Leader/Group, not the follower. The follower puts up with being exploited.

4. Claims they are superior in following Christ, and label other Christian leaders as inferior, especially in knowledge. Exult themselves as Lords over their followers and burdens them with much work and giving. Use the name of “God” to invoke compliant cooperation. Falsely boasts in order to be considered “acceptable” Christianity and to gain a greater following.

5. Dependent on deceitful methodology and accomplishments, and most of all (falsely) superior “revelational knowledge.” Masquerades as superior by presenting great exaggerations of their “spiritual labor for Christ;” even making up stories of heroic sacrifice. Boasting they practice a superior “righteousness.” Threatens and steals freedom from the believer by deceptively twisting God’s Word.

6. Enslaves (takes captive) followers for it’s benefit and exultation. Takes much advantage of through “demanded” attendance, constant labor in bringing others into its camp, overwhelming time for its own use in training you to advertise and build them up, not the “little” people in it. Shames you into constant greater giving of self and money.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 08:07:48 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: