Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:45:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aliens Real but God is Fake -- So says Stephen Hawking  (Read 20434 times)
EverAStudent
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: April 27, 2010, 03:42:19 pm »

"In a recently released documentary series called 'Universe,' theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking warned earth that it was 'perfectly rational' to earnestly believe that nomadic hostile extraterrestrial aliens could invade in massive UFO mother ships.  Hawking, an atheist,* is often referred to as the most intelligent man on the planet.  Hawking stated, “To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational. The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like.”  (quote from: http://craigwbooth.xanga.com/726192283/belief-in-aliens-rational-while-belief-in-god-irrational/ )

Scientists are actually going on record as believing fables and old wives' tales.
ender
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:39:03 am »

To be fair, if you are atheist, that conclusion makes a lot of sense and isn't really a fable/old wives' tale.
EverAStudent
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:55:22 am »

Quote from: ender
To be fair, if you are atheist, that conclusion makes a lot of sense and isn't really a fable/old wives' tale.

Of course it makes sense from their own frame of reference with all their assumptions and presumptions applied.  But the larger question is whether their assumptions, presumptions, and frames of reference are rational.  The partial answer given to one of the comments in the above blog says it fairly well.

I think the fundamental assumption is flawed, however.  It is only "rational," "possible," "reaonable," or "probable" that another life-bearing planet will be found if it can ever be demonstrated that life can arise from lifeless ingredients without the application of outside intelligence.  To date, science has applied all its own intelligence to attempting to manufacture life from liefeless ingredients in the lab and has failed, so what chance is there that such ingredients form life without intelligent direction?

In other words, if the presupposition is false (the presupposition being that life arises from certain ingredients without an intelligent architect), then it does not matter how many galaxies, stars, and solar systems exist in the universe, for life will not be found.  It must first be demonstrated that life really can and does arise from certain ingredients all by itself.  Until it is shown by evidence to be true, it remains but a religious conviction of the scientific priesthood.

lone gone
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 08:45:05 am »

It would also be the height of human pride to dictate to an intelligent architect that it could not allow life to arise anywhere else besides this planet.

If it is ever demonstrated that there is life of any sort anywhere else, then the "rational" religious will have to face the prospect that there is another possible way of understanding the universe.

I personally have no problems whatsoever with an understanding that life can have arisen anywhere else in this universe, by whatever means.

The program in question actually addressed the idea that life could have been started on this planet from amino acids and other basic building blocks having been transported here by asteroids and comets from outside this solar system.

Besides all that, the idea of contacting or being contacted by another intelligent life form presumes that there is some method of travel that suspends all laws of every kind of physics. The possibility of other life is real,  the possibility of coming into contact with other life is infintisimally remote. Due to this remoteness, I choose NOT to invest any kind of energy in worrying about it.
EverAStudent
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 11:09:14 am »

Of course you would be right about it being wrong to dictate to an intelligent architect where He can or must create life and where He cannot, if that is what I was suggesting.  It was not.

God told us He created earth to be inhabited, He did not indicate that any other planet was so endowed.  Of course, He did not say no other planet was inhabitable.

However, God did say that Jesus was incarnated only once, and that was on earth, died only once, and that too was on earth, and raised from the dead.  In short, there is no redemption for any other "race" of alien beings that might have sinned.

Finally, God states that after the 1000 year reign of Jesus from Jerusalem, Jesus will incinerate the heavens (plural), which means the universe and stars, along with this planet, its atmosphere (heaven singular), the birds of the air, the ground, and all life on it.

After incinerating the universe, Jesus will create a new earth, a new Jerusalem, and will bring His heavenly domain from out of spiritual heaven to the new earth where He will live with redeemed humanity forever. 

There is little room in all this for a race of sinless intelligent alien life.  Biblically speaking, of course.
ender

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 10:40:23 am »

There is little room in all this for a race of sinless intelligent alien life.  Biblically speaking, of course.

What if they never did sin though?

You are making the assumption that the aliens would have had a similar "fall" to humankind.
EverAStudent
Private Forum Access

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 05:21:51 pm »

Quote from: ender
What if they [Hawking's imaginary aliens] never did sin though?

Well, that would mean that their "race" would have no need of salvation or redemption, never having been lost to start with.  They would get to live on their perfect world undisturbed until the end of time, I would guess. 

Scripture tells us that heaven is only populated by God and the redeemed of humankind.  So, at the end of time (after the 1000 year reign of Christ on earth), Jesus will destroy the entire universe and take the redeemed with Him into the "new creation."  Wonder what would happen to that perfect alien world when the universe dissolves into its component elements by fire and heat?  Wonder what would happen to those perfect aliens that did not need to be redeemed?  Kinda sucks for them.

lol
ender

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 07:04:33 pm »

Yeah this entire conversation is rather silly to begin with because at the moment there is no indication that sentient life outside Earth even exists Smiley

Still fun to have though
nelliepooh
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 02:46:20 pm »

Do we really think that people at jesus's time knew about not only planets other than earth let along solar systems and galaxies beyond ours?   We know so much about space than they knew then and I think maybe people couldn't have understood even if jesus told them, there would be even more reason to think he's not the messiah and call him crazy?  Not that god wanted to hide it from us but we needed to get smarter and he gave us the ability to learn and pass on our knowledge so we could eventually discover space and how amazing his creation is.  Now whether or not there is life elsewhere than here on earth and if they can be saved that is all in gods hands, we can't put limits on god.  If he didn't create ne one other than us cool, if he did that's cool too. 
EverAStudent
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 04:57:06 pm »

Ender, I agree, silly but thought provoking and fun.

Nellie, I find the following statement by Paul enlightening as to what the "ancient people" would accept in a theoretical discussion: "I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world."  (1 Corinthians 5:9-10)

The Jews believed in this world, another world in heaven where God lives, another world called Hades, and yet another called Abraham's Bosom.  Christians (see Revelation and 2 Peter) believed that another new earth will yet be created very much unlike this present one.  

Taken all together I think the evidence adds up to the realization that the ancients were not so narrow-minded as we often like to box them in as being.  I think they fairly well accepted the notion of other worlds, and even other races of beings (gods, angels, demons, Nephilim, etc.).  Had God made reference to a race of intelligent aliens on another world unreachable by humanity, I do not think the ancients would have blinked more than once.  Therefore, it is significant that God does NOT mention such beings.  

Yes, fun discssion.  Pick your favorite viewpoint and go with it.  Smiley
EverAStudent
Private Forum Access

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 03:28:09 pm »

Guess this is another trend we have to combat when taking the gospel to the unsaved.  Jesus is the son god called Mithra, ughhhh.  The timeline should stop that silliness, but it probably won't:  http://thefaithfulword.org/mithra.html
rogerborg

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 06:21:41 am »

To generally be fair, if you tend to be atheist, that conclusion makes a good deal of good sense and additionally isn't really a fable/old wives' story.
EverAStudent
Private Forum Access

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 08:21:43 am »

Hi Martha, I am not sure, but I do not think Rogerborg was calling Christianity a fable; rather I think he (she?) was responding to my comment in the original post, "Scientists are actually going on record as believing fables and old wives' tales."

The reason I said that belief in alien invasions and alien abductions are fables and old wives' tales is that until quite recently in our culture no one but the most fringe elements believed that UFO's, invading aliens, and abduction stories were anything but urban legend.  In other words, almost everyone thought of alien stories as fables. 

Yet, with no tangible evidence at all, scientists have rallied around the hope and belief in spaceship-travelling aliens that can and will visit and invade Earth.  Therefore, it is valid to say that scientists have embraced what was always (until recently) a fable. 

Why are alien stories no longer seen as fables?  It is not based on the evidence (for there is none) but simply the hope in and search for aliens has moved it out of the category of fable and myth.  But hope and searching does not make alien stories a reality, so for me, they remain a fable.
newcreature
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 10:17:16 pm »

In 2008 I watched Ben Stein's documentary "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed." That was the first time I ever heard a scientist speak of the actual possibility of aliens. I was quite amazed and quite amused, especially since the scientist was Richard Dawkins, the charismatic mouthpiece for evolutionists.

Since evolutionists have never been able to explain the origin of life, or find evidence of the first self-replicating molecule, they have now introduced the "hypothesis" of a super-evolved alien race that "seeded" the earth. Near the very beginning of the clip, Dawkins proudly reads his blasphemous description of God, who he describes as the most horrid character of all fiction. At the 3 minute mark, the discussion turns to the origin of life, and then Dawkins postulates about alien seeding.

Here is the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlZtEjtlirc&feature=related

The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." Psalms 14:1
baileyrgr

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 07:57:52 am »

Do you really feel individuals at just jesus's time knew regarding not just planets numerous other than earth allow along solar systems and also galaxies beyond ours?   You know a great deal regarding area than they knew then as well as I think potentially individuals couldn't have studied actually if in case jesus explained them, on a search engine can feel a lot more main factor to assume he's not the messiah along with call him crazy?  Not that god wished to conceal it away from you however you had to get smarter and in addition your guy gave us the ability to learn along with pass on our knowledge subsequently you can at just some point discover storage space as well as just how amazing that manufacturing is.  Now whether or not for a Google motor will be in various other places than here in earth and also if in case they may be saved which is every one of the in gods hands, you can't destination limits in god.  In case the man didn't create ne one different than you cool, if your guy did that's cool too. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: