Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:54:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An example of helping survivors of clergy abuse  (Read 3669 times)
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: September 14, 2018, 12:17:52 pm »

Steve Carter is the former co-pastor of Willow Creek Church who resigned in protest of how they handled the sexual harassment/abuse allegations of Bill Hybels.  I am not posting directly to his blog because I see a lot of pastor-idolizing comments reminiscent of GCC and Evergreen (one man said Steve leaving was the worst part of all of this and I think "you STILL don't have your priorities straight when it comes to pastors!") But below is the link to the GoFundMe page he helped initiate as a way to support victims of Willow Creek and others who have been abused by clergy. I am not suggesting that anyone donates, but showing an example of one action that shows concern for victims rather than self-preservation.

An important thing to note is that the initiative is referring victims to a practice that is one of the best in the nation and making it accessible no matter where people live.  The money is not just going toward their local biblical counselors, not their buddies at a nearby clinic, someone from their church, or anyone that they will get information from, etc.  I have read Diane Langberg's books and followed her for awhile and she is excellent, as I'm sure her colleagues are as well.  These people are wanting to put actual money behind the best care for victims. Granted, I'd be really impressed in the church was using their money, but...

https://www.gofundme.com/-i-believe-you

http://www.dianelangberg.com/
Cult Proof
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 06:32:35 pm »

I appreciate this post. I am interested in helping people heal and helping people get out. I know there is value in speaking truth to the delusional and abusive behaviors and thinking  of the gcc pastors but sometimes I feel like helping the abused and helping people get out from mind control so they can get out gets lost.

Quite frankly counseling is extremely expensive and living with PTSD requires a lot of grace and sometimes that means convenience which is also expensive. My wounds are still fresh and my family is still healing. I think the recognition of this post is beautiful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: