Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:59:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: an opportunity to reconnect??  (Read 11779 times)
ustawannabee
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: July 16, 2012, 01:10:49 pm »

Got this email this week. Personally I am going to pass. but first I have a couple of questions.

1. "Anyone who has been a part of God's work in Ames in the last 40 years"

does that mean that E.Free. Crossroads Baptist, and Grand Ave. Baptist & Cornerstione are invited? as well as bunch of other good Bible preaching churchs here in Ames??

2. are they also providing the Kool-Aid?? Grin
just sayin'
    ########################################
Greetings,

As part of Stonebrook's 40th year in Ames, you are invited to a "family reunion" picnic!  Bring your family, and a meal to share.  Stonebrook will provide hot dogs and sloppy joes, and the rest is up to you!

What: 40th anniversary picnic
Who: Anyone who has been a part of God's work in Ames in the last 40 years
When: Saturday, August 4th, 11am - 4pm
Where: Lloyd Kurtz Park (the park next to Stonebrook) http://goo.gl/maps/J4JQ

Please RSVP to Kenny Trytek (jmarkeyburger@gmail.com) by Saturday, July 28th.

This should be a fun event for all, and a great time to reconnect with people whom you have not seen in a while.

~Kenny Trytek

Now I am free to be me in Christ!
EverAStudent
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:15:39 pm »

LOL

This is similar to what happened near us a while back.  It is a marketing PR initiative by GC to reclaim those who simply got disinterested or occupied with other activities (i.e. school, non-GC ministries, family, real life) but who did NOT leave because they recognized the abuse of the GC system.  They are not interested in apologizing to you at this event.

The elitism of the GC organization comes through loud and clear with the words you highlighted, "Anyone who has been part of God's work in Ames in the last 40 years."  It was always taught to us that GC was THE organization that was going to win the world, all by itself, because "traditional" churches were not really working toward that end.  sigh.....  Pride and arrogance, nothing has changed in 40 years.
coolerthanme
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 08:14:21 pm »

I know some bikers; we could crash the party.  >Smiley
FeministRebel
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 08:51:46 pm »

You're right they don't want to apologize... lol I was a member there for 7 years... 7 long years. They sure as heck didn't send me an invite. lol They don't give a &*^%# about me. They've made that abundantly clear, through the years.
araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 10:48:56 am »

Someone should post this all over the city and at all the other non-GC churches. Get as many non-GC church members as possible to show up, and make it clear that they are NOT the only group doing "God's work" in Ames.

I know none of this idea would probably ever work, but I can dream...
coolerthanme

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 06:48:45 pm »

Someone should post this all over the city and at all the other non-GC churches. Get as many non-GC church members as possible to show up, and make it clear that they are NOT the only group doing "God's work" in Ames.

I would love to do this, as well.
Ned_Flanders
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:25:23 am »

I would love to do this, as well.

I have no plans whatsoever to go to that thing.  I live too far away and I haven't kept in touch with those people.  Besides, I'm not sure such an effort would be worth it.  I'm not sure they would ever get it. 

For those of us on this board who were a part of Ames (and I get the feeling a lot of us were), I think the day would be better spent reminding ourselves why we got out of that place and rejoicing in the better place we are in now.  Just my thoughts. 
stellan

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 12:11:50 am »

"Your dream" is the best thing I've heard suggested so far.  I am surprised members of other churches don't see it as necessary for their fellow Christians.  Members of the GC churches (I'm only familiar with the churches connected to Drake University), would surely be more open , hearing information come from other devoted Christians/ groups that have the same core values but don't feel its necessary to avoid the rest of the world and avoid the natural sequences that form relationships.  These GC "special social rules" come right during the most important part of ones life when social and academic success is at the most reachable point in ones life.  Devotion to your religion can still be a big part of your life!  why is it being treated as an either/or.  Being held back from experiencing the amazing world that g-d created, is an awful, manipulative, self-serving control trick being used by these leaders/elders.  Thanks so much.
stellan

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 11:18:15 pm »

Unfortunately, my son and I have become very disconnected.  There were other problems with our relationship, as I had mentioned in my earlier posts.   I know he had a couple disappointing confrontations with church "friends" that upset him towards the end of this past semester.  I was surprised that it was told to me.  I went out of my way not to criticize the church group and stay neutral, but there was always a feeling that he was waiting for me to say something negative.  His grades had dropped moderately.  Even with the problems experienced last semester, he still wants to be with them.  He has had some blow ups with us, his family, since coming back home, triggered by practically nothing, and no matter what the issue is, I always get a comment about how he never wants to come back and live here.  Des Moines is where he is intending on staying, even after graduating. I know he wants to work out the differences between the others and himself and feel that "comfort and acceptance" again.

I really haven't been on this site a lot since my initial posts, but just wanted to mention this as an FYI-  (after skimming some of the newer entries.)   Take care all and again thanks for all the info.
AgathaL'Orange
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 09:16:13 am »

I'm sorry to hear that you are very disconnected from your son because of his involvement with this group.  Don't give up!  Some of that can be "normal".  It's normal to want to live a different life from your parents, I think.  It's not normal to be overly devoted to a religious organization.  It's not normal if an organization seems to want to separate parent from child. 

Glad to be free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: