Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:52:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gratitude to God for Mark Darling  (Read 10397 times)
KurtSverreLarson
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: June 22, 2018, 09:27:23 pm »

Before I had ever hear of GCM or any GCC church, I myself had given up on submitting my life to Jesus Christ. I had been intent on making excuses for my sin, and I was not willing to take ownership of my sin. I was ready to leave any church, any group, or any fellowship that suggested I was wrong.

Then God brought me to hear Mark Darling speak. Mark shared what the Bible said. Mark was open and vulnerable and spoke clearly of his own struggles in life. Struggles I could relate to, specifically struggles of anger. (He talks about his struggles with anger in numerous sermons all accessible to download or stream at strongdisciple.com.) Mark Darling is a man who applies biblical wisdom to his shortcomings, rather than make excuses - as I had done.
     Before being pastored by Mark Darling, I myself would not admit that I was wrong and that the Bible was right; I would not admit that God was right. Fortunately, Mark led by example. Mark faithfully preached the Word of God. And God used many leaders and fellow church members at GCC to patiently, gently, and kindly walk alongside me as I came to repentance.

I am on the way to living, in humility, submitted to God and His Goodness. I am grateful to God for how he has used Mark Darling to illuminate the truth to me. I am grateful to God that I am friends with Jeromy Darling, and that I observe first-hand this particular result of Mark's humility and Bible-centered parenting.

I am grateful to God for the precious faith and strong testimony that has resulted from the numerous and severe trials that the Darling family has endured. Their suffering has helped to more clearly show the God of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The pain the Darling family has endured has been a witness to the Author of Life; Jesus Christ.

Kurt Larson
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 02:50:11 am »

Welcome to De-Commissioned, a forum for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, and the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.
AbuLayf

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 06:19:53 am »

It was good to read your story Kurt, and to hear what God has done in your life through Mark and the Rock. I know that there are hundreds and probably even thousands of people who have had their lives impacted by Mark and his passionate service of his savior. I am definitely one of those people.

I first came to the Rock in 2003 with no desire to know God or submit my life to him. God was calling me though; as Jeromy calls him "the hound of heaven" kept pursuing me. I surrendered my life to God the next summer, and will never look back.

Mark has played a huge role in my life over the years. Whether it's been his messages on stage, his perseverance in faith during some excruciating trials, or the way he has gone out of his way to serve my wife and I by helping us through struggles in our marriage, he has been an unwavering and uncompromising example of a life lived in surrender and fully devoted to God.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 06:55:27 am »

It was good to read your story Kurt, and to hear what God has done in your life through Mark and the Rock. I know that there are hundreds and probably even thousands of people who have had their lives impacted by Mark and his passionate service of his savior. I am definitely one of those people.

I first came to the Rock in 2003 with no desire to know God or submit my life to him. God was calling me though; as Jeromy calls him "the hound of heaven" kept pursuing me. I surrendered my life to God the next summer, and will never look back.

Mark has played a huge role in my life over the years. Whether it's been his messages on stage, his perseverance in faith during some excruciating trials, or the way he has gone out of his way to serve my wife and I by helping us through struggles in our marriage, he has been an unwavering and uncompromising example of a life lived in surrender and fully devoted to God.

Welcome to De-Commissioned, a forum for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, and the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.
Huldah
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 07:06:04 am »

So, Kurt, are you saying that the victims are wrong? Because that's what the issue is here. Do you believe that Mark did what he's accused of doing, or not?

Same question for you, AbuLayf.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 08:49:50 am »

This topic does not belong on this forum. The entire topic should be deleted.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 09:20:16 am »

Kurt and AbuLayf, allow me to replace my question in the previous post with a better one.

Is your relationship with Jesus dependent on Mark? If it's shown that Mark really did cross sexual boundaries with young women in his congregation (verbal boundaries, and possibly some physical boundaries as well), would that in any way affect your faith in Christ?

I get that he's a friend and mentor and that you love him, apparently with good reason. But if he falls from grace, would your faith also falter?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 09:48:54 am by Huldah » Logged
AbuLayf

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 12:17:53 pm »

Thanks for the question Huldah. Mark is not my savior, Jesus is. If my faith were dependant on a flawed man, it would be a weak faith indeed. So to answer your revised question, if Mark is proven to be a sexual and spiritual abuser, it will not destroy my walk with Christ.

I have no reason to believe that Mark is guilty of what Susan is accusing him of, but I don't want to waste my time speculating on what I don't really know. I anxiously await the boards decision, and I trust that God will use whatever comes of this for His glory.
Greentruth

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 07:05:43 am »

Kurt, thank you for sharing. I have heard and seen so many similar testimonies from how Mark has influenced their life. I was a Christian when I came to ECC, but It was Mark and Brent teaching that led me to become a member. What a blessing in my life ECC where is beyond what I can express here, but my life is so blessed from the time I was there.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 10:13:28 am »

Kurt, thank you for sharing. I have heard and seen so many similar testimonies from how Mark has influenced their life. I was a Christian when I came to ECC, but It was Mark and Brent teaching that led me to become a member. What a blessing in my life ECC where is beyond what I can express here, but my life is so blessed from the time I was there.

Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 12:29:03 pm »

Thanks Kurt.

Oneofmany isn't big on balance. Why discuss when you can just shut people up, right?
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 01:55:00 pm »

Oneofmany isn't big on balance. Why discuss when you can just shut people up, right?

If only she had such power for real.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:59:45 pm by Huldah » Logged
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 02:11:26 pm »

Thanks Kurt.

You are posting in the wrong forum. This forum is for those who have LEFT their GCM church and have bad experiences they want to discuss. This is not about shutting you up. Feel free to start your own forum for those who want to praise the church.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 02:24:14 pm »

Feel free to start your own forum for those who want to praise the church.

Would they let us join? To provide balance?
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 03:07:30 pm »

Feel free to start your own forum for those who want to praise the church.

Would they let us join? To provide balance?

I would not disrespect a forum by violating the forums intention and topic.
EscapeFromSummitview
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 08:05:14 am »

I would expect most pastors, due to their very visible role in their church, would have a long list of people willing to testify to the many good things they have done and positive influence they have had on them.

What does that have to do with the specific allegations against Mark Darling being investigated?
XianJaneway

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 08:52:58 pm »

I thank God for King David. God powerfully used him to defeat the enemies of his people, to bring justice, to write scripture, etc.

That doesn't mean he didn't rape Bathsheba and kill her husband.

Just sayin'.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: