Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:48:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Growing Up Whitney  (Read 12259 times)
namaste
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« on: September 13, 2007, 12:49:16 pm »

Does anyone have a copy of Rick Whitney's book on parenting?  I'd really like to read it, but I make it a policy not to pay for books.  The local library doesn't carry this book, and was unamused by my request that they aquire it.  :oops:

If you're unfamiliar with the book, you may read more about it here:
http://www.gcnwdads.com/pages/excerpts.html

Personally, I'm not altogether inspired to fork over my $19.95 plus s&h (although members of Mr. Whitney's "team of churches" can get it at the bargain price of $15), though even at $19.95, "it's still a great value."

Well, I'm practically a card carrying member of "bad mommies of America," but I didn't see the two most important "parenting rules" on Mr. Whitney's webpage:

1) If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy; and,

2) No stitches.

Om, shanti.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:49:13 pm »

Yeah, I guess I never really was that interested in a book whose title seemed to imply that growing up as a Whitney was an awe inspiring thing that deserved a book.

Perhaps this cynicism began because the only Whitney I knew was a heavy drinker and drug user in trouble with the law who had been sent several states away to our city and small group for rehabilitation (and promptly fell off the wagon and then was sent back.) I think he might have been the kid of one of Whitney's brothers and not Rick Whitney himself, but even still, he had the "Whitney" name and so the illusion of the Whitney family's godlike aura was ruined for me. Smiley

I admit it's probably not very nice to judge an entire book based on the title, but hey, your post reminded me of my past dislike for that title and so I'm just being honest! For all I know its chop full of great advice. The kind of wonderful advice you'd expect from a man who says being called a cult is an honor and that you need to commit to your local church for the rest of your life or he won't have anything to do with you. Put this one on your Christmas list people!!!
Linda

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:19:06 am »

Shortly after we began attending ECC, Rick Whitney was the guest preacher at our church during the couple's conference weekend. Since most of the couples were gone, the audience was made up mostly of singles, many of them college age.

I think the theme of the message must have been grace, but something that was said has troubled me for over 10 years now. I left thinking he couldn't possibly have meant to say what he said (something I did a lot for various speakers over the years!), but what my husband and I heard him say to a bunch of single mostly 20 something people was, "Enjoy your summer. Live it to the fullest and know that when you fail in your struggle to be pure, God is a God of grace and forgiveness."

Frankly, it came across as more of a permission to sin than a reminder of God's mercy, grace, and forgiveness. We didn't pursue it with our pastors because we figured the guy was a guest speaker and really had no influence over our leaders. Ha! Silly us.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
maranatha
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 02:40:04 am »

-
namaste
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 05:43:07 pm »

There's nothing silly at all about rejoicing in how God has used the work of another to speak to your life.  

I'm thrilled the book helped you.  I just found the page about it on the gcnwdads website to be a bit...pompous. Wink

So...would you say that even at $19.95, it's a great value?  :lol:

Okay, okay!  I'll quit being so snarky. Smiley

Om, shanti.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 02:17:36 pm »

Come to think of it, it must be the standard practice for GCM big wigs to put out a book at some point in their ministry career. A surety like death and taxes. Herschel Martindale has "Victory Assured," Steve Nelson has "Premeditated Parenting," Tom Short has "5 Crucial Questions About Christianity," Jim McCotter and Dennis Clark published that Leadership book and others. Does David Bovenmyer have a book yet, or does the Church Error Statement count as his? Smiley
maranatha
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 07:33:36 pm »

einmal
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 04:36:26 pm »

I may have a copy of the book lying around somewhere, if you want to borrow it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: