Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:40:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Website: Pastormarkdarling.com  (Read 37879 times)
Shamednomore
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: July 10, 2018, 09:56:26 pm »

They started a website dedicated to MD.  Supporters of MD.  Pastormarkdarling.com
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:19:59 pm »

Oh my word! There are stories there to refute the charges he has been found guilty of. Such as women sharing the narrative that he never met with woman alone.

Well I am sure the attempts to keep him raised up as an idol will continue. I expect him to remain in ministry. Perhaps as leader of his own organization.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:33:19 pm »

The stories, I have read a number of them, are anonymous. Also many are worded to deny that Mark Darling is guilty of inappropriate behavior.

It appears that a few people collected testimonies with the goal of refuting specific accusations which Mark Darling was found to be guilty of.

I find it odd that people write such passionate letters stating that they do not believe Mark Darling committed any offenses yet won't put their name to their testimony.
blonde
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:20:53 pm »

JeromyD certainly wrote up this web-space, as he is an IT professional, retired or not; not sure about that one.  He seems very much active as an IT webspace dude. And, with no allowance for comments on the web-space, that was certainly designed that way for good reason. I wonder why the letter from Susan was not put on there? Smiley

(prop·a·gan·da  ~ präpəˈɡandə/: information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view)

Good job, Jeromy, on the web-space, at least. Scrubbing the internet with positive stories about Mark Darling will not do away with the harm he did to many many women at ECC, EC or wherever. He (Mark) resigned, unable to be allowed to go thru the reforming process that Evergreen Church would have offered. Again, he walked away, not saying I am sorry to a soul.

Try this one out for size: www.whoismarkdarling.com

Last quote, Mark says he himself is a prophet.

-Blonde

We must become the change we want to see.
-Mahatma Gandhi
margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 04:42:49 am »

So utterly disturbing.
Differentstrokes
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 05:56:15 am »

It's just disturbing that even when a group of his own peers have found that he acted inapropriately, he is still treated like a celebrity. And more disturbing that I used to be just like that Tongue
EscapeFromSummitview
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 07:00:54 am »

This is a little bizarre. Here is one the first testimonies that I happened to click on:
When I first came to The Rock in 2006, one of the most profound and respected things I learned about Mark Darling was that he never meets with people of the opposite gender alone. This is a vow I made from that year forward and it has blessed my relationship with my husband. Thank you, Mark, for your disciplined morals! - Shared by Lori

And yet, from the BOT report:
“the investigation does support the fact that Mark Darling, while holding a position of authority, engaged in inappropriate conduct. . . .”  Specifically, this conduct included spending time alone with women in private settings and inappropriate conversations with women of a sexual nature.

So do MD supporters want me to conclude that the BOT report is false because of "Lori" hearing about how Mark never spends time alone with women? Has Mark actually denied ever meeting alone with women? Why hasn't Mark made any public statement denying the accusations, or apologizing for his behavior?
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 07:05:41 am »

Well, according to Mark Darling's fellow co-founder of Evergreen, "it's been unfair, unjust" so that gives this web site some fuel.

This is why the BoT should have allowed Joan Harris to release a public report of the investigation. When the BoT only released a few vague statements of  Mark Darliing's offenses against women, without a more thorough accounting, it leads to stuff like this.
PrayingforTruth
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 07:59:28 am »

Mark Bowen, in his message following the report from the BOT, stated that Mark Darling has a blind spot he is refusing to own, referencing the findings of the investigation. There may still be lots of questions, but that seems like a pretty clear statement that Darling remains in denial of the findings and Bowen, on the other hand, believes him to be “guilty as charged” in having inappropriate conversations alone with women.
araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 08:00:49 am »

I don’t understand why this wasn’t done before the investigation was finished. A website for sharing support stories for Mark would have been a much more appropriate and godly defense than what they did; coming on here and visiously attacking people.

At this point though, Mark’s supporters have been proclaiming loud and clear that this was an “independent investigation” done by a highly qualified independent investigator. We were told to wait for the results, because Joan, the board of trustees, the church, and the pastors would be truthful and honorable. Now they have gone from months of claiming this investigation is good and truthful to saying the results are invalid just because it didn’t turn out how they thought or wanted? Come on.

A website of good stories about Mark also doesn’t address that even if every story and testimony posted on that site is true, he could still be guilty of wrongdoing.

Here is a proposal for all Mark Darling supporters: petition ECC to release the full report. If the conclusions and actions of the BOT were unfair, that could be made clear based on the details in the report. We would all want to know that. Otherwise, time to process that you were wrong and try to begin healing from all of this.
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 08:25:03 am »

Well, according to Mark Darling's fellow co-founder of Evergreen, "it's been unfair, unjust" so that gives this web site some fuel.

This is why the BoT should have allowed Joan Harris to release a public report of the investigation. When the BoT only released a few vague statements of  Mark Darliing's offenses against women, without a more thorough accounting, it leads to stuff like this.

I honestly think they aren't releasing more of the report to protect those on the inside who shared.  Because obviously some insiders did--those who turned over documents and whoever helped verify that the pastors knew from the beginning. So there must be at least one whistle blower from the inside.  Even though some of the victims didn't mind their information being shared, I'm guessing the person who followed their convictions and came forward with the truth would rather be protected.  I have mixed feeling about that, but life is complicated and at least they did that much. 

For my Christian Social Ethics course I'm choosing to write a paper on whistle-blowing for this very reason, so I don't have many opinions yet.  But for now, I think it is right to protect those people.  They may have been ready to tell the truth but not ready to give up their whole lives. 
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 08:33:24 am »

They started a website dedicated to MD.  Supporters of MD.  Pastormarkdarling.com

Interesting that they use the title Pastor when he is not ordained anymore.  Guess I'll just start calling myself Pastor.  Pastor Rebel, at your service.  Or, better yet, you at my service. 

I'm curious to see what's on there but I don't want to give it any more traffic. Don't like to provide the narcissist supply.

I don’t understand why this wasn’t done before the investigation was finished. A website for sharing support stories for Mark would have been a much more appropriate and godly defense than what they did; coming on here and visiously attacking people.

I know!  Interesting that they don't allow for comments but were allowed to come on here and rant and rave and bully.

It really bothers me that ECC did the bare minimum.  Got rid of Mark.  Didn't address any of the victim intimidation or the cover-up by pastors.  I think anyone who still goes there should continue to put pressure on for them to do more.  It's like removing a rusty nail that was stepped on but not giving a tetanus shot or treating for infection.  The body is in a little better shape but still has serious problems. 
Gracetoyou
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 08:36:20 am »

Ryan Stahl commented on the Mark Darling worship website, so you could send him a email since the address is on the rock website and share your concerns with him since they don’t allow anything but praise and worship of thier former cult leader..
Mapleleaf
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 09:01:46 am »

Mark Bowen, in his message following the report from the BOT, stated that Mark Darling has a blind spot he is refusing to own, referencing the findings of the investigation. There may still be lots of questions, but that seems like a pretty clear statement that Darling remains in denial of the findings and Bowen, on the other hand, believes him to be “guilty as charged” in having inappropriate conversations alone with women.

One interesting point on the fact that Bowen followed up the board report with his talk about Darling being "in denial" and portraying him as guilty as charged as you discuss above.  It's also glazing over the part of the board findings that Mark Bowen knew of Scout's accusations prior to the 2001 meeting, as well as knowing of similar accusations from two other women.  So, maybe Bowen is fine with the discussion of Darling being guilty and in denial, as it keeps the conversation away from the subject of the potential cover-up that he participated in.  Isn't knowing of three similar accusations against a person and not doing anything about it or reporting it, while you are the leader of a board that oversees that person essentially the definition of a cover up?
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 09:37:34 am »

I just wrote about Mark Bowen  http://forum.gcmwarning.com/people-and-places-of-gc/the-hypocritical-actions-of-mark-bowen/msg20215/?topicseen#msg20215

I totally agree with you about a cover-up.

One interesting point on the fact that Bowen followed up the board report with his talk about Darling being "in denial" and portraying him as guilty as charged as you discuss above.  It's also glazing over the part of the board findings that Mark Bowen knew of Scout's accusations prior to the 2001 meeting, as well as knowing of similar accusations from two other women.  So, maybe Bowen is fine with the discussion of Darling being guilty and in denial, as it keeps the conversation away from the subject of the potential cover-up that he participated in.  Isn't knowing of three similar accusations against a person and not doing anything about it or reporting it, while you are the leader of a board that oversees that person essentially the definition of a cover up?
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 09:56:44 am »

Ryan Stahl commented on the Mark Darling worship website, so you could send him a email since the address is on the rock website and share your concerns with him since they don’t allow anything but praise and worship of thier former cult leader..

That is an excellent idea!
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 10:09:57 am »

As I think on the website and read the testimonies I am more and more alarmed at the hold Mark Darling has on the minds of the people. The denial is beyond belief.

I feel sorrow for those who cannot objectively look at the facts, or who discount serious sin due to "worship" of the person of Mark Darling.

It is an interesting phenomenon to be under such mind control. I remember being that way myself. One thinks that one worships Jesus Christ because his name is used. Yet the mind and heart are controlled by and given over to a man. A very charismatic man.

Mark Darling is more dangerous than I gave him credit for. The situation is so very sad. I honestly do think he will continue to call himself a Pastor and that he and his son Jeromy will begin a new church together. To be so stubborn in their sin and finding their self esteem in being powerful saviors ( that is my interpretation of their motivation based on their words and actions) I don't see them creating a new and different life. So lets watch and see where this "New Church" begins.
EscapeFromSummitview
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 10:26:23 am »

Quote from: EscapeFromSummitview
So do MD supporters want me to conclude that the BOT report is false because of "Lori" hearing about how Mark never spends time alone with women? Has Mark actually denied ever meeting alone with women? Why hasn't Mark made any public statement denying the accusations, or apologizing for his behavior?

Quote from: PrayingforTruth

You're accused of something, your church that you founded revokes your ordination after investigating, and still no public comment? Meanwhile, your family creates a website of testimonials about you that seem to imply you didn't do anything wrong. It seems like I'm supposed to conclude based on "Lori's" testimonial that Mark never spends time alone with women, and that somehow refutes the allegations. Mark Darling, through his family, seems to be painting the accusers as liars, yet he won't come out and say anything himself..
Gary M. Miller
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 11:19:31 am »

Am I supposed to be outraged by this? Because I'm not.

I became aware of the allegations - in the most general sense - that ended Mark's ministry almost 15 years ago. Like many here, I believe myself to have been the victim of spiritual abuse at the hands of ECC and some of its pastors. I struggle with the concept of church because of some of these transgressions.

But Mark Darling DOES have a legacy that will resonate through time and eternity. My own spirituality - such as it is today - owes much to Mark - both good and bad. The simple fact of the matter is there will be hundreds of people who will be glad for all eternity they met Mark.

We somehow seem shocked and chagrined that a loving son would seek to protect his father's rich (but flawed) legacy. Personally, I would be shocked if a son did not do this.

It's remarkable just how conflicted I am about all of this. Suzanne is one of the most magnificent women I've ever known. She was my sister-in-law for almost 25 years. I believe her accusations to be true and believe they have been proven to be. She did a righteous thing by bringing to light that which was hidden.

At the same time, I owe Mark a great deal. There was a season when I longed to join Mark in the pastorate. I trained and was given many opportunities to preach and teach thanks to Mark. I learned much about parenting and marriage from Mark. He was a friend. He was - in a manner of speaking - a father.

There are broken lives as a result of sin. My own life has been ravaged by sin. I lost my marriage. I don't see my kids as much nearly as I would like. Many nights I cry myself to sleep because of the brokenness in my life. Therefore, I don't celebrate others' brokenness.

I, for one, choose to lay down my arms even though I was inexplicably targeted by Jeromy a couple months ago on this very forum. That doesn't mean turning a blind eye to abuse - sexual, spiritual or otherwise. But it means I need to forgive where it is mine to forgive. 'Bear with each other, and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.'

Let Jeromy seek to redeem his father's reputation - there is much worthy of redemption. As for me - like many of you - I have to sort through my life and eschew what is evil and cling to what is good.

Gary
Barb
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 11:32:41 am »

Gary, I appreciate your thoughts. I would like to point out one glaring problem though. While you have publicly owned up to your sons and the subsequent damage they have done, Mark has not...at all...not an apology, not a sign of repentance or sorrow over the harm caused to many. (different than sorrow over how our sin ruins our own lives)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: