Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:30:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Micah Darling’s FB Post  (Read 8863 times)
SharronA.Lie
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: July 15, 2018, 07:35:57 pm »

I’ve been following this forum for many years as a long-time ECC member. Since no one has brought this up yet, I was wondering if anyone happened to notice that Micah Darling posted the following, on his FB page, the Sunday the summary of the BOT’s findings were announced. I happened to get a screenshot as soon as the post went up. 10 minutes later, however, it had been taken down. I know the origin of the reference but am wondering if anyone has any guesses as to what message Micah was trying to convey, in defense of his father, in posting this? (As I am a new poster, I could not get the FB screenshot to uploade, so I’ll just relay the content of the post.) “MENE MENE TEKEL UPHARSIN”
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 07:47:06 pm »

Daniel reads the words "MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN" and interprets them for the king: "MENE, God has numbered the days of your kingdom and brought it to an end; TEKEL, you have been weighed ... and found wanting;" and "PERES, your kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians.
WalkHumbly

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 08:26:20 pm »

The whole post is still up:

MENE MENE TEKEL UPHARSIN

What can we say of a people who punish the innocent without due process? Even the justice system of our own imperfect land has some semblance of justice and goodness and wisdom to give a fair and open trial, with sworn testimonies, cross examinations, displays of evidence, and allowing the accused to know who and what he is being accused of and to be given a chance to reply.

How my heart grieves to see the ways wisdom has been traded for fear.
SharronA.Lie

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 08:47:53 pm »

Thank you for adding the updated content of Micah’s message. His initial post were simply the words “MEME MEME TEKEL UPHARSIN”. When I checked his page, just the other day, there was no new post. I guess I should have double checked before I posted my original observation. Sorry about the confusion.
Badger
Private Forum Access
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 09:25:14 pm »

And once again a GCC taught individual cherry-picks a verse and inserts it into their current situation.  While some in GCC might think this indicates wisdom, I disagree.
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 12:07:58 am »

And once again a GCC taught individual cherry-picks a verse and inserts it into their current situation.  While some in GCC might think this indicates wisdom, I disagree.

When was that taught. Seems bad hermeneutics to me.
margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 03:24:41 am »

Seems to me that a civil suit would bring facts to light, and be irrefutable to both sides. Well, no, probably not, come to think of it. If MD was found guilty, I'm sure there would be several who still defend him.

If I remember correctly, Joan told Suzanne that she would testify if this came to pass.
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 05:45:35 am »

When it comes to qualifications for being an elder, the issue is not whether or not someone was proven guilty in a court of law with subpoenaed witnesses, cross examination, sworn testimonies, and pleading the fifth allowed. The issue the church was faced with was: Is the man above reproach? (1 Timothy 3:2 "Now the overseer must be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach...")

In addition, the discipline for an elder who has sinned is stronger. 1 Timothy 5: 19, 20 "Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses. But those elders who are sinning you are to reprove before everyone so that others may take warning."

In this case, there were 5 witnesses who told their stories.

The fact that the investigation was not transparent, there was no cross examination, the results are paid for and owned by ECC, and the decision as to what to do was left in the hands of ECC, is more of a disadvantage to the victims. They have no idea what was said about them. ECC knows both sides. The victims know only one.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
looking4answers

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 06:22:14 am »

The fact that the investigation was not transparent, there was no cross examination, the results are paid for and owned by ECC, and the decision as to what to do was left in the hands of ECC, is more of a disadvantage to the victims. They have no idea what was said about them. ECC knows both sides. The victims know only one.

The bot report states that there are 3 witnesses who were interviewed, not 5. 
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 06:47:10 am »

Must have missed that. I didn't see any number in the report, but could have easily missed it. Where is that?

I was referring to the 5 who have said something publicly.

Suzanne and Natalie on Fox 9.

Victims A, C, and Loey on Suzanne's Timeline.

So, that's 5. I don't know for sure who spoke with Joan.

I do know that 3 would fit the parameters set forth in 1 Timothy 5.

Either way, does it shock you that the BOT found credible evidence that MD acted inappropriately with women?

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
DarthVader
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 07:42:12 am »

The bot report states that there are 3 witnesses who were interviewed, not 5.  
I don't believe any where the BoT report states explicitly 3 and only 3 women met with Joan. I think you have to infer a number and I would infer 5 based on what the BoT report says between the lines:

1. Suzanne
2. "Mark Bowen was aware of 2 other women at the time"
3. "During the investigation 2 additional women came forward" (which based on the language I would infer as distinctly different women from Suzanne and the 2 Mark B was aware of).

So at a minimum I believe the BoT was aware of allegations from 5 women, but it is unclear exactly how many spoke with Joan and pointless to speculate at this point given the decisions have been made & no further information beyond the BoT report will be shared.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:00:24 am by DarthVader » Logged
Mary7
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 11:42:49 am »

The whole post is still up:

MENE MENE TEKEL UPHARSIN

What can we say of a people who punish the innocent without due process? Even the justice system of our own imperfect land has some semblance of justice and goodness and wisdom to give a fair and open trial, with sworn testimonies, cross examinations, displays of evidence, and allowing the accused to know who and what he is being accused of and to be given a chance to reply.

How my heart grieves to see the ways wisdom has been traded for fear.

It is bizarre that Micah would use those words from Daniel 5 for his father.

God was the judge who found the king Belshazzar guilty of pride and arrogance and guilty of using temple goblets for his own glory. Seems like Micah doesn’t understand the implications of his own words. Belshazzar was surrounded by noblemen and women who were still saying “long live the king” up until God struck him dead. It was not the justice system that had trials, sworn testimonies, etc for Belshazzar. It was God who determined the end of the king’s reign.
SharronA.Lie

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 12:27:07 pm »

Exactly. That’s what struck me as odd about Micah’s initial post. I interpreted it the same way you just did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: