Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:25:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New church plant, Living Hope Church in Rochester, MN  (Read 10792 times)
MovedOn
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: July 09, 2018, 12:46:38 pm »

Just thought I'd share this link for the new church in Rochester. I don't personally know the two pastors starting this church. Hopefully this partnership between Evergreen Lakeville and Stonebrook Church (from Ames) is a good thing.

https://discoverlivinghope.com
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 02:02:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure Paul Johnson is born and raised GCC.  I think Evergreen and Ames have some of the longest history connected to the origin of the bad teachings, no?

Their first sermon topics aren't promising.  "The Church," including Unity.  One of their guest speakers is Rob Gerber who was involved in excommunications in Wisconsin so...

I'd have to listen to their sermons but it looks like more of the same GCC (unity, hospitality, church) and I'm curious how they'll fare in Rochester.
MovedOn
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 02:54:29 pm »

Hmmm... yeah, you're right, Rebel.  I wish there was a way to warn people in Rochester.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 05:49:42 pm »

Hmmm... yeah, you're right, Rebel.  I wish there was a way to warn people in Rochester.

Newspaper ad? Neighborhood website listing?
Boggs
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 06:33:20 pm »

Paul Johnson's dad is Ken Johnson who goes way way back in GC. Like church plants in IA and MN in the 80s. Here's his bio from Evergreen http://evergreenbloomington.com/visit -

Ken Johnson graduated in 1975 from Bemidji State University with a B.S. degree in Biology. He furthered his education at Iowa State University earning a M.S. degree in Botany in 1978. After graduation, he worked as a lab technician at ISU from 1978-1985. In 1985, he moved to Fort Collins, Colorado where he completed a M.S. degree in Health Physics (radiation safety) at Colorado State University. After graduation, he accepted a job at 3M in St. Paul, Minnesota where he was a Health Physicist from 1986-1991. While pursuing his education and employment, Ken was also actively involved with Great Commission Churches in Iowa, Colorado, and Minnesota.

In 1986, Ken and his family became involved with the Great Commission Church of Minneapolis, Minnesota, pastored by Brent Knox. The Great Commission Church of Minneapolis became Evergreen Community Church in 1988, meeting at Oak Grove Middle School in Bloomington, Minnesota. In 1991, Ken was ordained as pastor. Currently, Ken’s pastoral role includes six areas of focus: Children’s ministry, most Evergreen (Bloomington) ministries, special projects and overseas missions.

Ken has been married to his wife, Diane, since 1976. They met while they were students at Bemidji State University. Ken and Diane have four children: Kristi, Paul, Julie, and Stephen. The children were home-schooled until ninth grade. The most enriching times as a family have occurred during mission trips to Central America, vacationing in Duluth, trips to Colorado , camping, canoeing, fishing, and hiking.

Paul's wife is from Cedarcreek in Wisconsin going back to the early 2000s. I think they've been working in Iowa churches since the mid-2000s.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 06:36:46 pm by Boggs » Logged
ustawannabee
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 12:26:04 pm »

Charlie Meyer is the brother of John Meyer in Colorado,. John Meyer is married to Brent Knox sister. Small world

Now I am free to be me in Christ!
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 05:54:19 pm »

I'm pretty sure Paul Johnson is born and raised GCC.  I think Evergreen and Ames have some of the longest history connected to the origin of the bad teachings, no?

Their first sermon topics aren't promising.  "The Church," including Unity.  One of their guest speakers is Rob Gerber who was involved in excommunications in Wisconsin so...

I'd have to listen to their sermons but it looks like more of the same GCC (unity, hospitality, church) and I'm curious how they'll fare in Rochester.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.... I should contact them and suggest that they teach disunity, to be rude to visitors, instead of hospitality, and to quit being a church, maybe a chess club would be better.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:56:47 pm by PietWowo » Logged
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 05:55:58 pm »

Charlie Meyer is the brother of John Meyer in Colorado,. John Meyer is married to Brent Knox sister. Small world

And???
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 07:11:37 pm »

And???

And I would be happy to contribute to a fund for your deprogramming. Stop trolling here. Be quiet and learn. That way some day should you have a mind to think logically you won't need to feel remorse for the ignorance you keep spewing.
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 08:29:28 pm »

And???

And I would be happy to contribute to a fund for your deprogramming. Stop trolling here. Be quiet and learn. That way some day should you have a mind to think logically you won't need to feel remorse for the ignorance you keep spewing.

Don't think logically? You all are making a problem, because some people are related?Huh You realize that several of the apostles were related, right? I'm speaking of the apostles in the New Testament....
Badger
Private Forum Access
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 09:39:14 pm »

And???

Don't think logically? You all are making a problem, because some people are related?Huh You realize that several of the apostles were related, right? I'm speaking of the apostles in the New Testament....

This all seems fairly logical to me Pietwowo.

Jim McCotter comes up with a cult-like new apostleship back in the early 80s.  And come to find out many of the "new apostles" of GCC today are related as well.  Must be providence, LOL
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 12:06:10 am »

And???

Jim McCotter comes up with a cult-like new apostleship back in the early 80s.  And come to find out many of the "new apostles" of GCC today are related as well.  Must be providence, LOL

What Jim said in the Eighties is that there are three types of apostles. Jesus, the 12, and then apostles like missionaries. Which makes sense if you look at the Greek word and the Latin word. Then within a year or so, he "ordained" about 10 men as apostles. They were to be like regional leaders.  Then a few years later, he left. After that, I have never heard of anyone being ordained as apostles. Definitely not those three that you mentioned. Besides that, I don't know of many cults that have apostles. I've heard more of prophets. But the Bible does speak of false apostles and false prophets of course.

The proof of an apostle according to Paul in Corinthians is that they had started churches.... The churches were their proof. Of course one has to have sound doctrine too.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 03:38:12 am »

And???

What Jim said in the Eighties is that there are three types of apostles. Jesus, the 12, and then apostles like missionaries. Which makes sense if you look at the Greek word and the Latin word. Then within a year or so, he "ordained" about 10 men as apostles. They were to be like regional leaders.  Then a few years later, he left. After that, I have never heard of anyone being ordained as apostles. Definitely not those three that you mentioned. Besides that, I don't know of many cults that have apostles. I've heard more of prophets. But the Bible does speak of false apostles and false prophets of course.

The proof of an apostle according to Paul in Corinthians is that they had started churches.... The churches were their proof. Of course one has to have sound doctrine too.

One must have seen the resurrected Christ!!!!!

In the New Testament apostolos [ajpovstolo"] is applied to Jesus as the Sent One of God ( Heb 3:1 ), to those sent by God to preach to Israel ( Luke 11:49 ), to those sent by churches ( 2 Col 8:23 ; Php 2:25 ), and most often, to the individuals who had been appointed by Christ to preach the gospel of the kingdom. This latter category, however, is understood differently by New Testament writers. For example, Luke-Acts uses the term "apostle" to refer almost exclusively to the Twelve, while Paul uses it in relation to a broader group of individuals. The expression "all the apostles" in 1 Corinthians 15:7 seems to include more than the twelve referred to in verse 5. James is considered here, and in Galatians 1:19, to be an apostle. Barnabas is referred to as an apostle in ac 14:14 ( 11:22-24 ; 13:1-4 ). Paul calls Andronicus and Junias apostles in Romans 16:7. In this broader sense, an apostle was a witness to the resurrection of Christ, sent by him to make disciples of all nations.
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 10:34:38 am »

And???

One must have seen the resurrected Christ!!!!!

In the New Testament apostolos [ajpovstolo"] is applied to Jesus as the Sent One of God ( Heb 3:1 ), to those sent by God to preach to Israel ( Luke 11:49 ), to those sent by churches ( 2 Col 8:23 ; Php 2:25 ), and most often, to the individuals who had been appointed by Christ to preach the gospel of the kingdom. This latter category, however, is understood differently by New Testament writers. For example, Luke-Acts uses the term "apostle" to refer almost exclusively to the Twelve, while Paul uses it in relation to a broader group of individuals. The expression "all the apostles" in 1 Corinthians 15:7 seems to include more than the twelve referred to in verse 5. James is considered here, and in Galatians 1:19, to be an apostle. Barnabas is referred to as an apostle in ac 14:14 ( 11:22-24 ; 13:1-4 ). Paul calls Andronicus and Junias apostles in Romans 16:7. In this broader sense, an apostle was a witness to the resurrection of Christ, sent by him to make disciples of all nations.

No, as far as having seen the resurrected Christ, that was not given as a requisite. It was a requisite of the 12, hence they had to replace one, after Judas betrayed Jesus and then hang himself.

The proof of the other apostles were their church(es) that they had planted.  But the topic is not that important to me. It's a term. The Latin term is missionary. For instance I consider Hudson Taylor to be a missionary. If I was talking about him in the Greek, it would be apostle. The words apostle, baptism, and several other words are what they call transliterations. They were never translated, just adapted in the other language. Just like the word "computer" has been adapted into many languages. Now, English speaking people would know that it refers to a thing that "computes."   BTW, many bad words are adapted in other languages too.... and people use them and at times, I have to tell them what this is really about, but that's another story.
MovedOn
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 12:41:17 pm »

PietWowo,

You are way off topic of why I started this thread. Please start your discussion in a new thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: