Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:04:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Urban Refuge  (Read 6750 times)
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« on: April 14, 2019, 07:56:37 pm »

A member of the Urban Refuge told me that they received notice that the Urban Refuge is leaving Evergreen/GCM/Etc Etc Etc and "launching" out on its own. That is all I know. Their website still shows an affiliation with Evergreen.
Suzy
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 07:24:23 am »

I looked at the Rock website and Urban Refuge, along with listening to some messages from both, and it sounds/looks like the Rock has merged with Urban Refuge. They are transitioning to be independent from Evergreen over the next year, but will still be a part of Great Commission. The Rock pastors and staff will be around at some capacity until the end of the year. After that, they aren't sure. Someone please correct me if I didn't get it right. I was piecing together a lot of info from different sources online.
Ex-Member

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 07:27:20 pm »

I heard last year that all the pastors around the country were voting on whether to stay united as a movement or not. I had been waiting to hear if there was an announcement. I would be interested to hear if members knew in general that this vote was happening or not.

At the time, I asked if members would be consulted for their opinion and was told no. This struck me as very different from how other denominations operate, in which members can give input or vote on large issues like this. It seems like an example of authoritarian leadership that does not take the members' thoughts into account. I could be missing information, however.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 07:45:16 am »

Thank you Ex-Member for this very important report!  This, in my opinion, is earth-shattering.

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Linda

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 10:18:58 am »

Here is a link that gives more info relating to ECC/Urban Refuge:

https://www.evergreenchurch.com/unstuck

It is still not clear whether or not they will remain in GCC.

In other news, I did notice that all the CO churches have now left GCC, along with Utah, AZ, CA and one in TX.  I was told a couple months ago that the S and SW churches would split off and a new association would be formed. My source said the leaders of the new association would be John Meyer and Mark Darling. From the Rio Church web page, it looks like the name of the new association will be M28 Alliance.

http://theriochurch.com/about-us/

Here is a link to current GCC churches:

http://gccweb.org/about/find-a-church/

In terms of the board, it looks like Mark Darling, John Meyer and Bill Young have all left the national board of GCC in the past few months.

Here is the link to the current board members:

http://gccweb.org/about/gcc-board/

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Ex-Member

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 12:31:57 pm »

What it looks like is that the Mountain West region has voted out, under John Meyer's leadership. The El Paso church is part of this region, likely because it was planted by Colorado churches. Based on what I have heard, the motivation seems to be a disagreement with how the Mark Darling situation was handled in terms of the role of local vs national leadership.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 07:21:12 pm »

Here is a link that gives more info relating to ECC/Urban Refuge:

https://www.evergreenchurch.com/unstuck

Looks like nothing is improving. :/
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 04:53:43 pm »

Could this separation from the movement also be motivated by an excuse to try to escape it’s own appalling reputation?  It would be VERY SAD to have these potential “newly organized” groups practice the same old spiritual abuse under a new and more obscure name.  But God sees.  He knows.  I still believe he will cause them to be chaff in the wind.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 12:32:56 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: