Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:46:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God's Letter to Us - "HEY"!  (Read 2672 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: November 21, 2017, 12:17:02 pm »

God's Letter to Us

"Hey"!

'Look to the Blood!'

This letter seems to point to the future marvelous news of Grace through Christ.  Some definitions of "hey" are a window or doorway.  It conveys the expression, "Look!, Behold!"  The Hebrew manual and printed script for the letter 'hey' shows two vertical lines and a horizontal line atop. It looks like two posts supporting a lintel.  Some scholars have said that in Old Testament days the Hebrews didn't know or understand what this "window or doorway" was revealing.  It seemed a mystery.  It seems the original Passover gave a glimpse into it's meaning in the blood being brushed on the sides and top of each Hebrew doorframe to their house.  Intriguingly, the Hebrew letter "hey" is the very first letter of the Hebrew word for Passover.    

As we have heard, The Lord delivered the Israelites from His Judgement upon Egypt through the miraculous Passover.  God said, "Put it (the lamb's blood) on the top and both sides of the doorframe...will pass over that doorway and not allow the destroyer to enter your houses"  And again, "When I see the blood, I will pass over you.  No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt."  A divine doorway of security and peace.

The blood alone would deliver them in the coming chaos.  Nothing is stated here about their level of devotion or faithfulness except to apply the blood.  They were God's people and He was their faithful shepherd.  It stirs me to intentionally rest by faith under the blood my Savior spilled for me.  To rely on his work for my identity and security and deliverance.  

Our simple looking to the Blood of Jesus Christ to protect, defend, and deliver us causes us to rest in his divine shelter - his doorway to GRACE.  Our continual reliance on His Blood to make us right with God rather than our own performance puts us in a state of faith and humility in which we receive abundant favor from God.  The blood is indeed a window or doorway to the abounding grace and extraordinary deliverance of God!  After all, we are his children on whom God longs to show great mercy and kindness.

Did you know that Abram and Sarai's new names given them by God The Father were changed by one simple letter.  Yes, the Hebrew letter 'hey'.  This fifth letter of the Hebrew alphabet also can mean God's Presence, the Breath of Life, or the Spirit of Life.  God's inclusion of that new letter in their name some believe represents God's Presence or Spirit in their lives.  I actually wrote down what my name and my family's names might look and sound like with this letter of God's Presence included.  Speaking this new name out loud is a faith-filling experience.  It makes the reality of our new identity all the more real.

Lastly, it is interesting that the Israelites weren't led to go the short road out (immediately following the Passover).  God said he didn't want them to choose to go back to Egypt so he led them the longer way through the desert and through the sea.  The hard and miraculous way.  So, when things are really stressful and difficult and you are calling on God to deliver you; Hey!. Behold, your miraculous deliverance is right around the corner.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:53:20 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 06:07:57 pm »

Don’t Leave GRACE Behind

Perhaps legalism gets it harshness from cutting itself off from the GRACE that is in Christ. There - joy and peace depart from Christianity because Christ has been cut off from it.

GCx definitely practiced its own brand of legalism originating with McCotter - oppressive traditions that were honored as “doctrines” of the Bible. So we experienced a withdrawal from Christ, relying less and less on pleasing him; but instead seeking the approval of men by focusing on obeying their edicts.

This verse has deep meaning and implication. It is what God was pointing me to when I was shoved from the path of God and directed to follow men (as I was coerced and fearfully intimidated to do) in GCx Churches.

“If  you try to please God by obeying the Law,
you have cut yourself off  from Christ,
and his wonderful kindness.”

Galatians 5:4    CEV

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 07:40:32 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 08:07:09 pm »

Grace is all that God can do for us -independent of us.

-Tony Evans

If you are looking for a good Sunday sermon or just a good message on God’s Grace, the one below is worth visiting.

Grace to You - Sermon by Tony Evans

https://youtu.be/_DJARq60nd8

« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 09:04:03 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 08:46:38 am »

From the Gospel Coalition:

Certainly for all Western Christians Augustine is an unrivaled figure in the history of Christian reflection. Indeed, there is hardly a subject that is not shaped by his writings and ministry.  . . .

Another major area of Augustine’s writings focused on the nature of grace, free will, and the gospel. In this, Augustine is very much a man to be read and appreciated. Augustine focuses his energies on the Pelagian movement of his day, with their estimation that the Christian life is based on our obedience to the Law.

Augustine stands tall on the words of Paul that the Law and our will are unable to bring us to full repentance apart from the work of the Spirit.  … What we are unable to do, however, is weigh the things of God rightly apart from God restoring our eyes to see, our ears to hear. The grace of sanctification then is also a gift, not the work of our hands. Pelagianism, if it is true, is the rejection of the gospel.

… The image we have of Augustine from the pulpit is of a caring, sensitive preacher, always quick to ‘translate’ the rich theology in his mind to the language of the masses. He holds out the goal of the Christian life, not as a series of philosophical squabbles, but as the heart captive to the love of God in all things.

“It was pride that changed angels into devils;
it is humility that makes men as angels.”

-Augustine

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 08:48:21 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 08:40:31 pm »

Gospel Power to Not Just Save
But Also Transform and Sanctify Us

Today, though briefly praying for help to show God’s love to some who may not know him yet, I strived in my own power to be a “good” person to some I care about. It was a bit like a clanging symbol - a lot of noise but no real connection. How disappointed I was again in myself. It was definitely not the Spirit at work in me - just anxiety and too many words.

I asked God again to help me. He reminded me to focus on who I was in Christ; what I had in Him; and my very present hope. He reminded me of my affirmation for the week, “SIN IS POWERLESS TO SEPARATE ME FROM GOD FOR EVEN ONE MOMENT.” In essence, it is the fabulous news of GRACE, or the gospel of Christ. As I meditated on it, I kid you not, I received power to rest in Christ and dwell in Him. I was transformed into more of a listener, had that sweet humble peace, and was able to think with the mind of Christ (...we have the mind of Christ - 1 Corinthians 2:16). PRAISE HIM!!!!!

I found a conversation on a YouTube Podcast about this very thing this evening. But, first a disclaimer: I only listened to part of this, only enough to like and identify with their message so far, but not enough to know if I would endorse the messengers. I will listen to more to learn more.

The link to this podcast is below. Start from the 7:30 minute mark to get to the point.

Gospel Power for the Weary - Theocast - How does Grace Transform Us?
https://youtu.be/kYL-Um-74z0

« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 04:50:14 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 07:46:55 am »

Struggling With Motivation to Love God?

I suspect struggling with motivation to love God is the hidden issue of many believers especially those fed on the teachings of GCx for years. I believe it is the poor communication of the infinitely compassionate Gospel which pours out it’s grace upon us over and over. The jaw-dropping news of God’s Gospel of Grace is taught only as the necessity to believe for entrance into heaven. Instead, the awe of it’s offering must be understood and embraced daily in order to perform it’s miraculous work in and among us.

Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain?
So, again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you
by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard?

Galatians 3:4,5

The Gospel itself, if understood accurately and in full, is the highest motivator to the Christian. This isn’t merely an intellectual truth -it is also an experiential reality. The poscast below is one the best explanations I’ve heard. I don’t know about the rest of their theology, but the unfolding of the Gospel here uncovers it’s overwhelming love startling well.

Motivated By the Law Or By the Gospel - Ask Theocast

https://youtu.be/7S0xhInm4h8

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 10:46:18 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: