Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 17, 2024, 08:58:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Identifying Toxic Churches and Leaders  (Read 36141 times)
araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 06:35:27 pm »

Thanks for sharing more of your story. I'm truly glad you have found healing.

To clarify one point I could have written clearer, I am not referring to intellectual or theological pain. More like intellectual and theological brokenness, so to speak. It would probably be better if I had said intellectual and theological "restoration." Or reconciliation. It is all part of the process of God reconciling is to him, in my opinion. All part of ultimate healing. That ultimate healing is much deeper than emotions, and involves many parts of us other than feelings.

Hopefully that makes more sense. I'm finding this to be a difficult concept to explain.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2022, 07:25:57 pm »

On the Christianity Today site is an article by Scott McKnight that cites two authors’ working definition of spiritual abuse which McKnight recounts in a simpler format.

All these listed disturbing characteristics and practices have been present in GCx Churches for decades according to former members writing here to speak out for the last fifteen years. Sometimes we are more struck when we see the entirety of the perverseness outlined in a list. It gives the full view at once of the wide scope of unChristlike operation and culture. All those red flags adding up help clearly identify the danger at hand.

Below is an excerpt from that article:

Lisa Oakley and Justin Humphrey’s definition in their important study of spiritual abuse called “Escaping the Maze of Spiritual Abuse: Creating healthy Christian culture”. ...

Today, their definition, I reformat to make it simpler:

Spiritual abuse is a form of emotional and psychological abuse.

It is characterized by a systematic pattern of coercive and controlling behaviour in a religious context.

Spiritual abuse can have a deeply damaging impact on those who experience it.

This abuse may include:

manipulation and exploitation,

enforced accountability,

censorship of decision making,

requirements for secrecy and silence,

coercion to conform, [inability to ask questions]

control through the use of sacred texts or teaching,

requirement of obedience to the abuser,

the suggestion that the abuser has a ‘divine’ position,

isolation as a means of punishment,

and superiority and elitism.

What is “Spiritual Abuse”?  A Working Definition - Christianity Today

https://www.christianitytoday.com/scot-mcknight/2020/december/what-is-spiritual-abuse-working-definition.html

« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 04:48:34 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2023, 08:15:22 am »

Here is a portion of a good article on Spiritual Abuse from Bellevue Christian Counseling. Nearly all the excerpt below will sound quite familiar to those once in GCx. This counseling practice offers online counseling and of course in-person in Washington State. They likely saw quite a few people for spiritual abuse counseling from Mars Hill alone.

Signs of Spiritual Abuse

How can spiritual abuse be detected? What are the signs?

One clear indication of this danger is following a leader who insists that they hear from God for you, with specific personal directives. When your relationship with God needs to be channeled through a superior person, and that person speaks as the “mouthpiece” of God, as it were, directing your life situation and decision-making, the stage is set for abuse. The directing person has a “superior” status ̶ and you are seen as lesser than, or clearly inferior to, them in ability. The individual’s personal relationship with God is eclipsed and even discounted in favor of the superior directives. The power of the “superior” person gets additional traction because the follower may be a new convert, who is unsure in the newness of this new life and vulnerable and susceptible in their spiritual immaturity. Solid and biblical teaching and preaching is not the same as “hearing from God” for you  ̶  and true opening of the Word of God applies to all.

A second sign of an abusive spiritual relationship is when you experience pressure to confess all the intimate details of your life to the leader, and not just the wrongs you have committed. As followers of Christ, we are to confess our sins to each other, seek forgiveness and reconciliation, and then encourage each other. But when the confession is one-sided, involuntary, and the consequences of not confessing all are named as hiding and sin itself, personal boundaries are breached and the follower becomes more vulnerable to abuse. An example of this is a young man who asks his pastor for advice in a dating problem, and ends up having to report his complete sexual history and any current sexual behavior to a leader in that church.

Bellevue Christian Counseling
https://bellevuechristiancounseling.com/articles/a-christian-counselor-discusses-indicators-of-spiritual-abuse

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2023, 07:29:43 am »

This re-post also identifies what toxic churches and leaders claim as they substitute themselves or their group for calling and fulfillment that can only be found in Jesus:

GCx is Not The TRUTH, The WAY, The LIFE - Jesus IS

“GCx” nor its leaders are the The Truth , The Way, The Life —Jesus alone is. Don’t let them be a false and oppressive substitute for His overflowing life in yours. Tragically and pervertedly GCx has and many of its leaders still do audaciously claim They Are. This encouraging song reminds me that Jesus alone is my guide to anchoring truth, his adventurous way and abundant life; and obviously in eternity to heaven.

There is freedom
A confidence in walking with Jesus
I’m 10 feet tall when I’m standing with you

Full Heart
Sound Mind
The Darkness is running in Your Light
My Peace is Found when I’m Lost in You

YOU are
The TRUTH
The WAY
The LIFE …

« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 06:31:00 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: