Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:56:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies as a form of healing?  (Read 13552 times)
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: May 18, 2018, 01:49:18 pm »

This might seem like a strange question, but for my coursework we looked at the interaction between cinema and theology and it was fascinating.

I am wondering if anyone found healing in movies?  Doesn't have to be religious movies, just curious.  Looking for titles.

I will say, unrelated to our experience GCC, was the movie Spotlight.
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 02:43:40 pm »

What is Spotlight about, Rebel, can you give us a hint?

Janet recommended The Village, sort of a creepy movie that explores a closed, cult-like society. My kids had watched it years ago. I was by myself and got a little freaked out so I locked the door. When my son came home he couldn't figure out why the door was locked but he liked my answer because he said he would do the same thing! Another son said he couldn't believe I was brave enough to watch it by myself. Would love to analyze that one with someone.
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 02:45:35 pm »

Oh, and Agatha mentioned the 9th Avenue Irregulars (I think that's the name), an old Disney movie that was a hoot.  Since I grew up Presby it sorta made it even more funny.
DarthVader
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 02:57:18 pm »

Star Wars (but only the original trilogy and maybe Rogue One) heals all wounds  Grin
Differentstrokes
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 03:02:50 pm »

Les Mis!!!! I've loved the musical for years, but as I got older I have been able to gain new understand from the story, it's got a really great message about forgiveness and grace.  The movie version is pretty excellent, although Russell Crowe isn't the best singer the rest of the cast is fabulous.
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 03:17:00 pm »

I guess this wasn't a strange question since people have some ready answers!

DV, you'd think we would have seen that one coming  Wink

Brief plot summary about Spotlight stolen from Netflix:  "A team of reporters and editors at the Boston Globe relentlessly investigate a shocking child molestation cover-up by the Catholic Church."  Their reporting basically turned the tide for sex abuse and cover-up in the Catholic Church (which they are still working on).  But to see how those in power try to silence victims and critics was...painful and shocking and healing all in one.  Maybe not healing as much as validating.  But made a profound impact on us.

We may or may not know all the words to the Les Mis musical at our house and may or may not belt out the tunes along with the music.  That music has been in my life for years so I will listen again with an ear for healing.

We will check out The Village but I will wait for a night my husband is not working!
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 04:15:31 pm »

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

This is the only Star Trek movie that has ever addressed the nature of God or faith. Although the movie doesn't answer these questions in a Biblically informed way, it does offer some interesting food for thought.

Spoilers follow. If you haven't seen the movie but want to, stop reading now.

SPOILERS. Seriously.

An evil alien, who claims to be God, summons the Enterprise to his planet. When the crew of the Enterprise finally meets the god-alien, and the crew is swept up in religious fervor, the alien demands that they turn over their starship to him so he can spread his message to the entire galaxy. Kirk defies both the alien and the zeal of his crew to ask a very logical question: "What does God need with a starship?" The question enrages the alien, causing him to drop the mask of loving welcome and reveal his true, angry nature.

I love the fact that Kirk stood by his duty and his common sense when everyone else was starstruck by the alien.

As a bonus, Sybok, the sincere but misguided prophet who led the Enterprise on their religious quest, finally realizes and admits his mistake. In the end, he gives his life to protect the Enterprise crew from the evil god-alien. If only we could see such true repentance from false teachers in real life.

Star Trek V wasn't popular among Trek fans in general. I'm probably one of a handful of people in the vast Trek fandom who actually liked the movie. Of the twelve or so Trek movies to date, it's one of my two favorites.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 04:21:53 pm by Huldah » Logged
DarthVader
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 06:42:14 pm »

Huldah, I know we have a lot of common ground but Star Trek 5 is a place I just can’t go with you Smiley. What is the other Trek movie that is one of your favorites?
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 06:59:07 pm »

Star Trek 5 is a place I just can’t go with you Smiley.

Don't worry, I'm well aware that I'm in the minority with that one.  Smiley

The other is The Voyage Home. The one with the whales.

DarthVader
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 07:10:11 pm »

I’m with you on 4. That was solid. For awhile it seemed like the even ones were good. I’m a Wrath of Kahn fan, especially considering Ricardo M was the orginal Kahn in the 60s (and as a kid I loved Fantasy Island) but I wouldn’t say I found much healing in it Smiley. I do find the themes in LOTR and Narnia inspiring but I don’t know if I’d say I’ve found a movie to be really healing.
Differentstrokes
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 07:45:33 pm »

Rebel, when I was 4-5  we got les mis at the library for the first time, mom would make us do chores so we'd sing "look down, look down you'll always be a slave" whilst doing them 😂😂I've loved it ever since
araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 07:57:54 pm »

Just movies, or would TV shows work?
Linda

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 08:04:10 pm »

We LOVE "Les Mis"!

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 09:24:40 pm »

The judges will allow it.   Cheesy

Quote from: araignee19
link=topic=1806.msg18346#msg18346 date=1526698674
Just movies, or would TV shows work?
BTDT
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 09:26:09 pm »

We LOVE "Les Mis"!

Ditto!  Although technically I haven't seen the movie.  My wife and I were fortunate enough to see Colm Wilkinson as Valjean in Toronto 20 years ago. (Holy COW, has it been that long?) To this day, I can't even *think* of the finale without getting all teary-eyed.

About movies as a form of healing: For me, at least so far, it hasn't been that any particular movie has been healing in and of itself. What *has* been healing is watching what I choose (and I try to choose well) ... without a leader or church looking over my shoulder in judgment. Basically, I get to be an adult now.  Cheesy

One can only watch "Ladyhawke" and "The Man From Snowy River" so many times.  Wink
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 09:09:53 pm »

Darren Brown, an atheist who is a mentalist and illusionist has helped me a lot. He has a growing number of shows out there to watch. Be sure to find the entire shows, not the short excerpts. The full versions explain how things work. In his performances he often expresses that his effects are achieved through "magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship".

Darren Brown exposes those who to take advantage of other people. For instance if he came to Evergreen he would scientifically expose how Evergreen uses group hypnosis and control techniques in their organization. He sets up experiments that show how people can be convinced to do things they would not otherwise do. He explains how our minds work and therefore how these things are accomplished with individuals and groups.

His performances and shows are a very fun venue in which to learn about oneself. I am now informed as to what Evergreen did/does to control people and why I was able to be manipulated by this "church". I feel empowered to protect myself from such a trap again!
Phoenix
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 03:45:45 pm »

Star Wars (but only the original trilogy and maybe Rogue One) heals all wounds  Grin
How about a good Pixar movie?  Inside Out
DarthVader
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018, 03:47:49 pm »

How about a good Pixar movie?  Inside Out
I really liked inside out - but my daughter who was 7 at the time, hated it (too scary in places), which always dampens my enjoyment of a movie.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2022, 07:40:31 pm »

I HEARD THE BELLS

Sight & Sound Films

My husband who enjoyed the Sight and Sound Theater in Pennsylvania this year suggested we go to see the movie they just released this December. So, today we went with a couple of close friends not too far from home. What a good idea for a “Christmas Activity” with friends, I thought; not expecting a lot from it since some pictures produced by “Christian groups” can be lacking in acting and film related skills, though the story lines do have merit.

Anyhow, I was somewhat surprised by how charming and engaging I found it. I would definitely want to see it again sometime in the future as I would absorb even more of all the rich detail paid to it. I found it quite creatively done. Definitely a fresh style as movies go. Most important, the messages and meaning are there for the taking. They are gently inviting and handled very personally. No bull-horning. They deal compassionately with the hard questions with which only God himself can communicate peace to the soul.

It was definitely heart-warming. The best part is the hope one can draw from this unexpected true story and honest look at one (famous) man’s life in both good times and bad. As others have said, it is a movie WORTH watching. Even Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 98% Audience Score.

Link to Press Release, “I Heard The Bells” Full Length Feature Film, Sight & Sound Films

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sight--sound-announces-launch-of-feature-films-301571182.html

« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 07:47:34 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2022, 02:03:33 am »

Not exactly a movie, but two TV series. Doc and Sue Thomas FBEye. I got to know the producers and cast and both of those shows were very well done and also with a Godly worldview.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: