Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:24:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Rock at the Hard Place  (Read 7391 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: February 12, 2015, 03:03:15 pm »

Our Rock at the Hard Place

Too often we keep or hold trouble in our heart. We would rather ignore anxieties than to speak them out loud to God. Even though he already knows them, we shy away from acknowledging our deepest fears to Our Heavenly Rescuer. But Our Father actually beseeches us to dump our load on Him. Psalm 62:8 says:

"Pour Out your heart To Him, for God is a refuge for Us"

The Greek word for 'pour out' here is "sipku". It means to cast, dump, gush, pour or shed.  We need that. Also to expend (as in soul or complaint); to spill forth. The result of doing so is shelter, refuge, and hope.

Years ago, I can remember a time when I was particularly troubled, and feeling helpless. An anxiety was pestering me, but I kept trying to push it back down. Finally, one day, something triggered it and it seemed to spiral out of control. I didn't want to verbally admit this anxiety to God (though he already knew it) but, was placed between a rock and a hard place. I got down with my face to the floor and cried out to God with much desperation. I got specific with God and poured out loud what my fear was. I felt him say to my spirit, 'I WILL help you'. I experienced a comforting of The Spirit. Still laying there I saw flashing lights outside my window. I got up to see emergency vehicles down the street. I raced out the house and down the road, breathlessly praying along the way. It was not clear what the emergency was, but it was clear there was someone young sitting all alone just outside the house. God prompted me to comfort them. As I got closer I noticed their forlorn countenance. The Spirit gave a special compassion for this child. So, I talked with them for a while, and then was led to pray discreetly for them (with their permission). Sensing there was more they needed, God led me to invite them to a regular children's program at our church where they could meet friends and hopefully, Jesus.  This child ended up coming with us for nearly a year as we enjoyed his company there and back.

God knows how to restore our confidence in Him again, and even to restore our confidence in His Spirit working through us. Hope for ourselves and others results from spilling out to Him.  

He led to me the Rock, just opposite the hard place.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:17:31 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
jtk1983
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 05:37:40 pm »

Wow, what a great post Janet! I love this line at the end:

God knows how to restore our confidence in Him again, and even to restore our confidence in His Spirit working through us.

That's exactly where I'm at. I don't really trust God as I should. I keep Him at arms length. Could He reject me just like GCx did? Is His leadership based on control rather than on love? Am I disposable to Him like I am to GCx? Am I only acceptable to Him when I lead a perfect life?

Lord Jesus, please, as Janet said, restore our confidence in You again. Show us who You are, show us how You see us. May we all see You as You are and not as people have incorrectly shown us. Fight for all of Your broken sheep and heal us. In the name of Jesus, amen.

How did God restore your trust in Him and trust in the Spirit working through you? Every day I question what is from the Spirit and what is not. And I see myself as disposable to Him because I was to GCx.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 08:35:31 pm »

jtk1983,

What a wonderful spirit-led prayer, jtk! I felt my spirit stirred as I started to read it and was motivated to pray it also with you. That prayer was a ministry of The Spirit working through you right there. Any truly good work is from the power of the Holy Spirit. You know, "apart from Me, you can do no good thing".

The trouble for us sheep is that the field we fed on (in GCx) had so much straw and thistles and thorns that we often starved or were hurt and wounded in our faith. We thought our own dissatisfaction was from our lack of "righteousness" because that is what we were taught. So we got on the gerbil wheel of 'righteousness' or 'holiness' in an insane effort to attain something that had already been accomplished for us. Paul points this out clearly to the Galatians who had also come under false teaching. Galatians chapter 3, verses 1-5 recount their predicament, especially verse 3: "Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?"

This is one of the biggest principles of the Good News God had to UNTWIST for me. He had to show me over and over and over again, because I kept trying to be 'holy' BEFORE going to God or expecting anything from him. This surprisingly wonderful truth is what makes the gospel TRULY good news. As many well informed preachers have said, it's not the real gospel unless it sounds too good to be true. Believing the gospel, presently and actively, as a christian (yes, I mean believer, saved, born again) IS the source from which God works miracles in and through us (Gal. 3:5 & Romans 1:16). NOT BELIEVING IN OUR OWN hourly RECORD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS! We were wrongly taught in GCx that our own 'righteous' efforts brought us grace to see God and see him work.

Paul goes on to explain in the rest of chapter 3 that RIGHTEOUSNESS IS GIVEN, NOT EARNED. If a believer does not have confidence in his blood-bought righteousness before God, he will shy away from going to God for help, and from confidence in trusting Him.

I, personally, have to OFTEN remind myself that my righteousness or right-standing with God does not depend on me, but on JESUS' blood. IT was good enough! My efforts, even as a believer, will never be perfect or good enough! But MY FAITH in Christ's work for me will ALWAYS please God. That scripture that says, without holiness no one will SEE The Lord, is interesting. As I depend on His blood (not my own holiness) to keep me righteous I can EXPERIENCE or SEE (this too good to be true) God, My Father.  The fastest way for me to feel God's love (though there is sometimes no feeling) is by saying out loud various true affirmations of it. These you saw on the post, Essential Affirmations.

Hoping I have helped a little, and given you much hope.

Janet
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:11:12 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 03:47:59 pm »

To your question, jtk1983, of whether we are disposable to God, I was reminded of this passage in Matthew 10:29-31. He seems to answer our deepest need here - our value.

'Not one sparrow (What do they cost? Two for a penny?) can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. And the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't worry! You are more valuable to him than many (a multitudinous number of) sparrows.'

There are an estimated 540 billion sparrows in the world. And God sees and knows when just one of all those falls. There are an estimated average 120,000 hairs on a persons head. I love this passage because I think of it as one trivial strand of my hair falling to the ground as at least as important as to our Heavenly Father as the death of a sparrow! He's so much more concerned about us than we can even fathom!  We are sooooooo valuable to Our Father in Heaven that our worth cannot be calculated by our human mind. We can be assured from Psalm 139 that he cares about such small matters as our sitting down or our getting up. How much more with our thoughts and feelings? Our loneliness, rejection, fears, harassment or condemnation?

Every good and perfect thing in our lives was planned and brought about by Him. Imagine how deeply he cares that we were SPIRITUALLY wounded. He uses bad things to make EVEN MORE wonderful things happen in our lives so that the devil wishes he never messed with us. Some of these amazing things God promised to me through his Word (whispering or calling out to me in my spirit) after I got out of GCx, and I have believed them (out of desperation) and have watched them happen.

I believe God thinks we are adorable! (Song of Songs expresses this) I believe He finds us irresistibly cute, funny and even a hoot.  He has promised to remember our sins NO MORE. So, he no longer holds them against us and therefore, can no longer be angry at us. God is not mad at us! My GOTO promise is Hosea 14:4:

"I will heal their waywardness,
And LOVE THEM FREELY (unconditionally, lavishly)
for my anger has TURNED AWAY FROM THEM."

Every time I rely on this promise I see miracles happen inside me. The challenge for me is to stop relying on myself and throw myself upon his VERY loving care.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:37:28 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

jtk1983
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 05:57:01 pm »

Thank you so much for sharing Janet! I really like that verse from Hosea! I truly hope that that is the God we believe in. A God who will do anything for His children; do anything to draw them back to Him. I hope that His love heals all our waywordness, like that verse says - even if it is a waywordness that we brought on ourselves or one that a church lead us into. I long for God's deep love, a love that does love us freely, lavishly. He has put it in our hearts to long for this deep, incredible love of His. I used to know that He loved me this way, but now I am hesitant and resistant. I hope His love will break through to me, and to all on this forum.

GCx certainly gives the impression that if you are holy enough or follow leadership enough it will automatically result in getting what you want: your friends will come to know Christ, your children will end up being perfect followers of Christ if you homeschool them, your marriage will be perfect if you marry who the church wants you to marry, etc. Christ promises none of this. We end up demanding things of God that He never promised us.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 08:30:29 pm »

De-Cluttering

One day recently I started feeling overwhelmed with everything I had to do in a short period of time. I felt paralyzed not knowing how it could be done.  Then God nudged me to cast my burden on him. I told him every task and put it at his feet.  

Then, I entered a room in my house I had just de-cluttered the night before (which had been cluttered for almost a year).  As I walked in noticing the newly cleared open spaces, I felt a refreshing settled feeling.  A thought occurred to me - this is the same feeling I just had after I prayed about all those overwhelming things - de-burdened, de-cluttered, and settled.  Wow! Feels really freeing.  Prayer de-clutters on overstuffed mind.  

"Cast all your cares on Him because He cares for you."
1 Peter 5:7
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:52:33 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 09:34:32 pm »

Wonderful Counselor

One of Jesus' names and relationship to us is Wondeful Couselor.  He's available any time, has no time limit on meeting length, is an excellent listener, and speaks words of life into our soul.  He always comforts our troubles as we give them to Him.

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 08:26:05 am »

“Can I Clean Up This Mess With You?”

Jack Cassidy’s Story

That question Jesus offered to Jack Cassidy in the middle of his addiction crisis (as a believer) touches our soul way down deep of His wonderful compassion for us. Nephew of David Cassidy and grandson of Shirley Jones turned to Jesus in Highschool and has been moved to write and sing songs about his very personal rescuer. This video seems authentic, which is what Cassidy is after in what he says is a historically “fake” industry. He desires for others to know there is a deliverer in their worst struggles.

There may be just one person who desperately needs to hear this today.

Jack Cassidy’s story behind “Run At The Giant” - Fair Trade Radio Team
https://www.facebook.com/ftsradiopromo/videos/1638824402966330/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 09:26:35 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 05:30:40 pm »

Relief, Rest, and Rejoicing!!!

When in a stressful situation, I have found that I lean on Jesus far more than when things seem in "my control." But, too many times I have given into doubt and fear and sometimes anger. I can see by faith on the horizon the treasures that await me within a hardship for the present and for eternity. I will have relief from the burden of figuring it out and fixing the situation myself. I will experience rest in his presence as I lean on him expecting him to do what I cannot. I can cease from striving to try to be better on my own which is exhausting. I know joy will accompany the test as I wait trusting in His faithfulness; and later rejoice in his miraculous deliverance.

"...your fruitfulnesss comes from me"    (Hosea 14)

Believing and relying on Him to do what he has promised produces humility, patience, supernatural love, and being filled with much confidence in His Word. When I'm abiding in Jesus I have spiritual desires that don't accompany the flesh. I hunger to be filled with the knowledge of Him. I long to worship Him. These are not ongoing desires apart from Christ.

"No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine.
Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."    (John 15:4)

As believers we can't follow a set of rules to be like Jesus. It's his attitude that must FLOW through us. We must need and rely on him in the moment. Abiding is not a permanent thing that never has to be chosen again. Jesus is not talking to the lost in John 15, but to believing disciples imperatively urging them to abide in Him not their own strength. "HELPS Word-Studies" says fruit is everything done in partnership with Christ. Remember our deeds will be tested with fire at the Judgement Seat of Believers; and whatever is done apart from Him will burn. So, "fruit" is not how many bodies one can bring into a GCx Church or follow you around in their midst, as were wrongly persuaded; especially if it is done in human effort alone "by hook or crook" as McCotter would often say.

Here is a great example from David's experience of much true fruit resulting out of difficult times when we turn to him and wait expectantly in faith:

I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him.

(Psalm 40:1-3)

Even in our doubt, unbelief, and addictive sin he will minister to us if we call out to him and trust him completely to lift us out of our pit, whatever it is. We will find ourselves praising him and rejoicing in His compassion and deliverance for us. Even if we are not aware, MANY will SEE and put THEIR trust in the Lord. We will be compelled to love and honor him.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 04:33:39 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2023, 09:49:42 pm »

On the single, “HELP!,” Lake says, “this is the truest and realist song of this past season for me. I pray that so many people who don’t even know who God is would hear this song and it would encourage them to cry out for help.” …

“I believe it’s important that we are real, honest, and raw about the mental battles we face—that we bring them into the light so God can remind us of who He is and who we are.

https://www.thechristianbeat.org/brandon-lake-releases-latest-full-length-album-help/#:~:text=This%20timely%20collection%20of%20songs,processing%20of%20his%20personal%20emotions.

Here is the link to this raw & honest song (with lyrics):

https://youtu.be/JNmKECmnOFI

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: