Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:36:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple Faith Brings Strength and Success and a Song  (Read 19273 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2021, 08:45:03 pm »

Simple Faith Can Get a Jumpstart Through Trials

Counting It All Joy

Even small but confusing trials of any kind can seem an annoyance or shake our confidence. Their discomfort begs them to be swept away or at least be distracted from. Sometimes their pestering presence is to reset our hope. Instead of wishing it away, we can view the difficulty as a jumpstart to grasp and hold onto God’s hand instead of our own understanding. Putting all our hope in His promise about the fear or anxiety that has stumped us will bring us joy and peace that surpasses understanding as we believe. James 1:2 endearingly implores us to view trials as opportunities to INCREASE our faith.

Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way,
consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested,
your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is
fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.

James 1:2-4   NLT

Here is a short clip from a piece by Joanne Ellison about changing our perspective on trials. The link to this piece is below.

“... So as I lay there in the dark reviewing my day, I begin to worry about the conversations that I had that did not go the way I had hoped, or the frustration I had with my work, or a problem I am facing that seems to have no solution. The quiet and darkness of the night tends to bring out the worst scenarios – all the “I wish I had said ...  or I wish I had done... ” thoughts pop into our head. But on a good night, battle-weary, I am able to remember that it is God’s Word that has the final say. It is what God says that matters. And if I quickly go to Him in prayer He reminds me:

That I am His and He has this
That His solutions are not of this world
That our trials are opportunities to dig deep within to find His supernatural, His joy
He whispers in the dark of the night...

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, ..." James 1:2 NIV

He reminds me that His grace pours into my thirsty soul and expands its capacity to receive His joy amid the trials of life.

Friends, this is the key. Trials are opportunities to dig deeper wells in our soul; wells that have the capacity to take in more of Christ’s life – ...”

Link to full:
https://www1.cbn.com/devotions/count-it-all-joy

« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 05:07:01 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2021, 09:20:25 pm »

Simple Faith and A Song

Lifting Up Our Eyes is So Uplifting

This morning I read in Acts where Paul visits different cities including Phillipi. Things may have looked pretty bleak when he and his co-worker were thrown into jail in Phillipi for preaching the good news of Jesus Christ. After all, prison is where John The Baptist met his demise. But instead of all out panic or extreme discouragement, they choose to sing praises and pray. His fellow inmates were so astonished that they couldn’t help but listen.

Recapping my take away for today I summarized, ‘When all hell breaks loose, sing and pray.’ Something very difficult for me did take place today so I was divinely prepared for action. I lifted my eyes to God and sang a couple of worship songs and prayed. His power and his glory, and hope became more tangible to me. I focused on his sovereignty instead of my trouble.

Lifting Up Our Eyes is indeed SO UPLIFTING!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 05:17:03 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 10:09:08 pm »

Blindness Sometimes Keeps Us From Walking More Closely With God

See That Justice is Done... and Humbly Obey Him

This past week I was reminded of the song, “Blind Man,” I first heard decades ago. I wanted to teach the children in Sunday School so I found a video with singing and hand motions to use. As I sang this old spiritual/folk song myself a few times, I was gripped by the verse that says “the way to go ho-o-ome.” Although this song speaks of saving faith in Jesus’ suffering for our sins to find the way to our heavenly home, I felt that phrase open my eyes to a closer walk for one who already believes. God was pointing out something in my life that I was blind to, and if I trusted and humbly obeyed Him; and applied myself to do “right” (or justly) in this, I would experience a more intimate walk with him. It was the sanctifying path God was showing me to experience more of his Presence - the way to go home - to seek and be more at home in His Kingdom in this life. In order to walk this path he pointed out I would need to humble myself, but the satisfaction from it would make my soul exult.

Believers can be blind to things they do that hurt others, or they might too proud to change their ways. More than great “spiritual” sacrifices of our own doing, God desires us to listen to Him, realize what he shows us is right, and humbly walk in it. Unfortunately we get distracted or tempted away from the focus he reveals to us, but he faithfully will remind us again and again for our good.

Of course, the verses below also reminded me of the GCx leaders who brag of their great “spiritual sacrifices” but have yet to do what is right or just in the matters of Repudiating Jim McCotter as the root of Spiritual Abuse in GCx; Perpetuating False Teaching Themselves including way beyond the “Apology” Paper; and Slandering those confronting them with their abusive error toward thousands of members. It is time for them to cast off their blindness and humbly ask God to open their eyes and soften their proud hearts.

Time is running out for them to obediently humble themselves, be honest, and do justice.

Here is the passage in Micah from the Contemporary English Version of the Bible, subtitled “True Obedience”:

What offering should I bring when I bow down to worship the LORD God Most High?

Should I try to please him by sacrificing calves a year old?

Will thousands of sheep or rivers of olive oil make God satisfied with me?

Should I sacrifice to the LORD my first-born child as payment for my terrible sins?

The LORD God has told us what is right and what he demands:

See that justice is done, let mercy be your first concern, and humbly obey your God.”

Micah 6:6-8    CEV

« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 01:27:53 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2021, 09:08:02 pm »

Simple Faith Beings Hope and a Song

Often in the late evening I like to listen to soft style instrumental music that calms me into retiring. There are a number of musicians’ I have enjoyed on the Pandora “station” I made for this occasion. One of them is Paul Cardall. Today I listened to his short story about the difficulties in his life and the hope he needed. In it he includes some real gem statements. Now, I will listen to the music that flows from him with a deeper inspiration. Mr. Cardall has been gifted to musically express the love, compassion, and hope of God that he has experienced and desires for others to know.

Interestingly, his and other people’s stories are podcasts on the Jesus Calling Site I found today. You can even select the topic your want and numerous podcasts will appear to choose from.

Link to Paul Cardall’s story of hope on the Jesus Calling:
https://www.jesuscalling.com/podcast/we-are-all-worth-rescuing-paul-cardall-charles-martin/

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles,
so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
For just as the sufferings of Christ overflow to us, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

2 Corinthians 1:3-5

« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 08:19:15 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2021, 11:59:06 am »

Simple Faith Brings Hope & Endurance

Wow! I sure needed this song (by a familiar music artist) today. How inspiring and motivating this tune is to not to give up the vision or promise God gave you. To not give in to weakness in us, but trust God for strength to go the distance. Pray you are uplifted to hang on just a little longer. Found this on the Jesus Calling website:

We’re excited to present Jesus Calling reader Gary LeVox‘s  performance video, “The Distance.” Gary, the front man of iconic country trio Rascal Flatts, brings us this powerful Christian song with a positive message about pushing through during challenging times.

Link:
https://www.jesuscalling.com/blog/the-distance/

For, “In just a little while, he who is coming will come and will not delay.”

Hebrews 10:37

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good.
At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.

Galatians 6:9    NLT

« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 09:36:58 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2021, 09:06:33 pm »

Just Praise Him

That is God’s message to me today. With all his heartfelt imploring he is pleading with me to just praise him. I don’t have to understand. I don’t have to know the future. I don’t even have to have the feelings. He’s just asking me to worship him by faith.

This heart wrenching video says it overwhelmingly better. I hope it inspires you as it has me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XdODQHy4p9U

Praise You ...

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2021, 05:02:21 pm »

Washington Monument Inscription

Laus Deo

Tony Evans delivers a very short message on the importance this inscription. Link below.

https://youtu.be/pUVC1vVnXZ8

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2021, 08:54:17 pm »

Gratitude for Endless Abundance
Found in The Undeserved Favor of God’s Promises

For as many as are the promises of God,
in Christ they are [all answered] “Yes.”
So through Him we say our “Amen” to the glory of God.

2 Corinthians 1:20    AMP

21This I recall to my mind,
            Therefore I have hope.

22The LORD’S lovingkindnesses indeed never cease,
            For His compassions never fail.

23They are new every morning;
            Great is Your faithfulness.

Lamentation 3:21-23    NASB

From “Standing on The Promises” by John Newton

Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
Standing on the promises of God.

Refrain

Standing on the promises I now can see
Perfect, present cleansing in the blood for me;
Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free,
Standing on the promises of God.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 08:57:41 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2022, 06:17:32 pm »

Be Steadfast

“He gives strength to the weary,
and to the one who lacks might He increases power.
Though youths grow weary and tired, and vigorous young men stumble badly,
yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength;
they will mount up with wings like eagles,
they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary”

(Isaiah 40:29-31 NASB).

The word “to wait” in Hebrew also means “to hope”—“those wait [hope] for the LORD.” The ability to remain steadfast, unmoved no matter what the circumstances—that’s what the Bible means by faith. Faith in the Bible does not refer to “belief” in the sense of some inward, psychological state; rather, faith is steadfastness. It’s hard to remain steadfast when you’re tired. It’s hard to continue hoping when nothing seems to change, “yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength.”

The previous portion has been extracted from CBN Israel (link below). It seems the most important and anchoring thing -steadfast faith- is what we are most distracted from. Placing our hope in so many other things that will inevitably frustrate, disappoint or dissatisfy us, when all along God is holding out his hands to offer us overflowing satisfaction in something that cannot be seen with human eyes or held with human hands -clinging by faith to his magnificent PROMISES.

“The future is as bright as the promises of God.”

What promises are we choosing to cling to
or steadfastly believe God for in our next moments and hours?

Weekly Devotional: Be Steadfast - CBN Israel
https://cbnisrael.org/2021/08/02/weekly-devotional-be-steadfast/

« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 06:19:07 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2022, 05:53:46 pm »

Remain Steadfast

Because He is EVER Faithful to Us

The worship found in this inspirational music video is contagious. These were some of the words I read this morning in Psalm 113. The gathering of various worshippers here also makes me miss the mixed race of believers I very much enjoyed in the first healthy church I was involved in after leaving the bondage of the GCx “church” group. I’m ecstatic our worship in heaven will be even more filling, freeing and colorful!!!

From the rising of the sun to its going down
The Lord’s name is to be praised.
. . .
Who is like the Lord our God,
Who dwells on high,

Who humbles Himself to behold
The things that are in the heavens and in the earth?

He raises the poor out of the dust,
And lifts the needy out of the ash heap,

That He may seat him with princes—
With the princes of His people.

Psalm 113:3,5-8

Promises (feat. Joe L Barnes & Naomi Raine) - Maverick City Music

https://youtu.be/q5m09rqOoxE

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2022, 07:27:30 pm »

Simple Faith in Thanksgiving Brings Us Peace and Joy

...giving thanks doesn't even have to mean that we're happy about the situation or that we like it at all.

Thankfulness can simply be an offering: a hope and a faith put in a promise yet to be fulfilled. It's a faith in believing God's truth that “all situations work together for those who love God and are called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28).

It's persevering through the pain because we trust Him and believe in the promise, like the example given of many who have gone before us (Hebrews 11).  . . .

I think of the biblical story of Job–a man who watched his whole world collapse as his livelihood and family were taken from him–who still said, “Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him” (Job 13:15). ...

What if God is calling us to search for more (whether it's the Thanksgiving holiday or just any day of the year) to discover a deeper life that is truly able to “give thanks in all circumstances” (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

And here's the kicker: What if God allows us to go through trials and tribulations in order to bring us to that place of authentic thankfulness?

What if He allows our tragedies so that He can tell us, “Walk with me and let me show you a lasting contentment and thankfulness that cannot be shaken”?

This is the true “giving thanks” I believe God calls us to discover.

How Giving Thanks in Trials Can Change Your Life - Vibrant Christian Living
https://vibrantchristianliving.com/giving-thanks-trials/

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2022, 06:20:03 am »

Simple Faith in a Storm of Grief
Offers a Song of Trust

After seeing this artist on the “K-Love Music Awards” I was curious about her. I had no idea this was her story. Her simple faith in who to lean on in her family’s tragic storm brings her faith-filled song potentially to millions.

Anne Wilson - My Story (Official Video)

https://youtu.be/c11bw9Hb5CA

« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 06:23:52 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2022, 05:47:50 am »

Simple Faith Clings to God With a Song

When Life is Disappointing and Uncertain

I never knew there was a real story behind this familiar song. From the depths of one man’s pain came a small simple faith that spoke to so many. My brother chose this song for our mom’s service at her passing a few years ago. What assurance and comfort are in these words.

The writer shares the season in his life in which he clung to it’s steady truth.

The Story Behind - "The Anchor Holds" written and performed by Lawrence Chewning

https://youtu.be/BxnQzwrF4OU

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 06:49:07 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2022, 12:55:49 pm »

Don’t Stop Dreaming

Dare you to keep from dancing.

Alive & Breathing (Lyric Video) - Matt Maher - feat. Ellie Limebear

https://youtu.be/gYUJjsgd96k

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2022, 06:50:17 pm »

Simple Faith in God’s Great & Precious Promises

Brings Unshakable Hope

As we know, life can contain circumstances that shake us to our core. Things that don’t make sense or seem unthinkable can happen. The future we are facing may seem heart-wrenching or bleak. But, our circumstances (good or bad) are not where our hope and abundant living rests. Our unshakable hope comes from God and the promises he has spoken through His Word. He cannot and will not break his promises. He understands every fear we have. He gets us. He is our refuge at ALL times. We just have to actively claim and believe his GREAT and PRECIOUS Promises and take our eyes off the brewing storm. That is how we will experience the divine nature of Christ in the midst of pure chaos. Remember how Jesus slept during those tempestuous winds and drowning waves.

Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises,
so that through them you may participate in the divine nature...

1 Peter 2:4

Max Lucado preaches the first part of a series on this subject exploring many of God’s promises found in Scripture. He usually starts his message by having God’s people together voice a declaration of truth pertaining to the series.

“As people of God’s promises, we declare:

I am building my life on the promises of God.
Because his word is unbreakable, my hope is unshakable.
I do not stand on the problems of life or pain in life.
I stand on the great and precious promises of God.”

God’s Great and Precious Promises - Unshakable Hope - Strength- Part 1

https://maxlucado.com/watch/gods-great-precious-promises-unshakable-hope-part-1/

« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 08:29:41 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2022, 08:01:05 am »

Wow! Reading this illustrated truth by Max Lucado this morning gave me relief, grace, and help I cannot do without. It seems the antithesis of what was too often implied in GCx. I’m confident you’ll be lifted up by his October 18th devotion from “Grace for the Moment.”

The Gift of God’s Smile

We do not make requests of you
because we are righteous, but
because of your great mercy.

Daniel 9:18

If only, when God smiles and says we are saved, we'd salute him, thank him, and live like those who have just received a gift from the commander in chief.

We seldom do that, though. We prefer to get salvation the old-fashioned way: We earn it. To accept grace is to admit failure, a step we are hesitant to take. We opt to impress God with how good we are rather than confessing how great he is. We dizzy ourselves with doctrine. Burden ourselves with rules. Think that God will smile on our efforts.

He doesn't.

God's smile is not for the healthy hiker who boasts that he made the journey alone. It is, instead, for the crippled leper who begs God for a back on which to ride.

In the Eye of the Storm (by: Max Lucado)

“Grace For The Moment” by Max Lucado available on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Grace-Moment-Inspirational-Thoughts-Each/dp/0849956242/ref=asc_df_0849956242/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312111868709&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13072060134569272354&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007969&hvtargid=pla-598437335924&psc=1

« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 08:35:43 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2023, 10:30:31 am »

Simple Faith in God’s Overwhelming Love
Brings Satisfaction

“to know this love that surpasses knowledge —that you may be FILLED
to measure of all the fullness of God”

Ephesians 3:19

It is so easy to get caught up in the successes of this world. Pursuing the perfect house, the perfect landscape, the perfect car, the perfect spouse, the perfect children, the perfect vacation, the perfect career, and on and on. Our human nature seems to idle toward such things to seek hope in them. What disappointment we can often find ourselves in when they naturally are imperfect. They continually have issues and problems which must be repaired, and seem to create obstacles to our happiness. These “successes” can and do let us down. They cannot give us LASTING JOY or satisfy all our needs. They cannot mend all our hurts.

But God can in his time. He can give us lasting joy in our soul even when our flesh is disappointed. He can heal and repair our issues and problems. The supernatural work he does in us causes our soul to experience an unexplainable peace. His infinite love fills our being and we find ourselves carried away to heavenly realms which overwhelmingly satisfy us. We become “filled to the measure of the fullness of God.”

Meditating on his blood-bought forgiveness and unconditional love we become rooted and secured in his His love, and thus are empowered to love others with this supernatural love. We find ourselves FILLED, fulfilling his purposes for us. Believing in and demonstrating God’s perfect love, and thus walking in his will for us brings way more satisfaction than any “successes of this world” will ever bring. I’m not at all saying living without a house, garden, car, vacation, or career will make us happy; but NOT PUTTING OUR HOPE IN THEM FILLING US UP and instead hoping in God’s overwhelming faithfulness and love will.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 08:31:20 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2023, 04:23:08 pm »

HELLO Peace, HELLO Joy, HELLO Love

What I read a couple days ago in the Psalms that elevated my soul of the truth that our true Peace, Joy, and Love is in the Lord’s nearly unfathomable love toward us. We have to know and be confident of God’s unconditional devotion toward us before we can be devoted to him.

I had many things (like Martha) I was anxious about getting done before family came in from out of town. They became burdens weighing me down. I read Psalm 118 which I may have read at least 20 times before, sometimes indifferent to the first four verses because they were repetitive; but this time the phrase “his love endures forever” struck me like never before. His type of love is vastly wider, deeper, and longer than any other. When other loves fail from disagreement, or being tired out, or offended once too many, or devastating betrayal; God’s strong love remains steady, fresh, unchanging, ever forgiving, and most of all NEVER EVER EVER ENDING. Think on that astounding treasure for a few minutes.

His powerful love toward each of us individually is new every day not just until the end of our earthly lives, but on and on and on... I thought on that intentionally because God said it through the Psalmist five times. It must be important us to remember that. He instructs his people to say it aloud. Sometimes the things we say aloud we remember better than those we just “think.” I think God may have intended us to say it to our own souls. David knew the power of truth in “self-talk.” Saying, knowing and believing his eternally enduring devotion toward us gives us a peace that is out of this world, a joy that can’t be obstructed, and an overflowing love in return for him and others. Like Jesus said of Mary who chose the one thing our soul needs, “it won’t be taken from her.”

Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good;
His loving devotion endures forever.

Let those who fear the LORD say,
“His loving devotion endures forever.”

Psalm 118:1 & 4

Then I heard this song for the first time today, and it seemed to empower that same faith in God’s enduring love when I sang along with the chorus, claiming Joy, Peace, & Love in Christ. Not talking about circumstances going our way, but walking by faith in his love in anything. Claiming God’s Peace, Joy, and Love now, not later when the world and everything in it is right. Brothers and sisters in Christ, let’s say or sing of our acceptance, deliverance and love forever in Him!

Here is the beautiful music video with lyrics:

Fear is Not My Future - Kirk Franklin and Maverick City Music -
https://youtu.be/7C1Dp9m98JM

Also:
Fear is Not My Future (feat. Brandon Lake & Chandler Moore) - Maverick City Music & Kirk Franklin
https://youtu.be/ulFGXnASE4Q

« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 09:09:07 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2023, 08:48:24 pm »

Jesus Reaches Out to the Angry,
Even Those Angry With Him

In GCx anger was not really an acceptable emotion. All GCx faithfuls spoke in a singsong voice or nearly monotone. Even the GCx lingo was rather limited. This tone was held as an “sign of maturity”.  I distinctly remember a highly esteemed GCx leader who often spoke in these fake folksy tones, actually roar and tear into his kid in the parking lot of a church assembly when he likely thought no one was around. I sat quietly in my car dumbfounded at his rage. So, though the GCx outward appearance of angelic voices seemed the norm in public, doubtful it was in private. Nonetheless, this public facade did lead many a GCx member to feel like they weren’t very spiritual or even a failure because they actually did experience the emotion of anger.

Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor,
for we are all members of one another. “Be angry, yet do not sin.”
Do not let the sun set upon your anger, and do not give the devil a foothold.

Ephesians 4:25-27

Recently, when I read the account of Mary and Martha entertaining Jesus for dinner; I heard Martha’s very escalated emotion in her conversation with Jesus instead of a rather monotone narration of the passage.  She got real with Jesus, apparently spewing her emotion with a very raised voice. No faking there. In fact, she blamed Jesus for her great burden. She tumultuously lost it probably with sinful anger. In her ugliness, Jesus tenderly reached out to her. He didn’t seem to come across like, “Oh, Mary, shame on you!”

I believe he compassionately spoke to her telling her first what she needed most —that he understood every anxiety she was carrying (which must have gone way beyond preparing for this one meal). He also answered why he didn’t ask Mary to help. He really answered her, not shrug her off as a hopeless basket case. Explaining that if she had stopped to do what Mary did she would have gotten some perspective on what’s really important. She would have spent time with her PEACE, himself. She would have found her JOY abiding in Him, and she would have been empowered to appreciate and LOVE her sister’s sensible example.

As they traveled along, Jesus entered a village where a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to His message. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations to be made. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone?
 Tell her to help me!

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord replied, “you are worried and upset about many things.
But only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion,
and it will not be taken away from her.”

Here’s what Biblical resources have to say about Mary’s level of emotions:
HELPS Word-studies says about “worried” merimnáō here: "to go to pieces" because pulled apart (in different directions), like the force exerted by sinful anxiety (worry).  It also says about “upset”
thorybéō from 2351 /thórybos, "tumult"– make a noisy upheaval.

So, next time we experience overwhelming emotion that may even be sinful; instead of concluding Jesus is shaking a shaming finger at us and wants nothing to do with us; we can remember he already knows what’s inside and wants to lift those anxieties and burdens from us as we spend time pouring our heart out to him and sitting at his feet listening to his Word for his help and answers.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 06:28:14 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2023, 02:15:48 pm »

I AM NOT AFRAID

I KNOW MY GOD

Waiting - Healing Place Worship

https://youtu.be/E5ZZNvnMICE?si=qhh9YQNNBYd9di9G

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: