Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:00:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Theophostic “Prayer Ministry”  (Read 1773 times)
jordan1984
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: April 26, 2020, 05:29:07 pm »

Just curious if anyone else experienced Theophostic Prayer Ministry in their GCX church. My former GCX church got deeply involved in this type of counseling. Basically you were to sit there until a bad memory came to mind. Then you would pray for Jesus to come into that bad memory and see what he does. I’m not trying to put down anyone who has found healing from TPM. It was just difficult for me because I felt like I was faking the whole experience. We never really got to the deeper issues in counseling until I had produced a vision where I had Jesus help me through a negative experience from my past.

It has taken me years to heal from leaving GCX. My formula is simply grace + truth over time. It takes time to heal. And I was stuck in the lie that because I left a church on bad terms, that I couldn’t be saved or forgiven. But that’s simply not true. Even if you walk in darkness for long periods of time, even when darkness is your closest friend, God can still come through.
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 05:05:05 am »

Remember God speaks to you through His Word. If the Word isn't saying something then God is not speaking. Solo Scriptura.
Huldah
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 09:53:16 am »

There have been a couple of threads that discuss theophostic counseling. There's some discussion of it here: http://forum.gcmwarning.com/general-discussion/there's-nothing-new-under-the-sun/ Apparently it was only practiced in a few churches, not the entire movement.

If you do a forum search for "theophostic," you'll find a couple of other interesting posts. The search feature seems to return a lot of false hits, so I suggest paging through the results until you find the ones with "theophostic" highlighted in yellow.

For the record, I know nothing about theophostic counseling so I can't offer a personal opinion. I tend to be skeptical of new counseling techniques that haven't been objectively vetted or evaluated. (Edit to add: I'm especially skeptical of any counseling technique that asks us to imagine God doing things He didn't actually do. That just seems a little off. But since I don't know anything about theophostic counseling, perhaps I'm misunderstanding what really happens.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:33:36 am by Huldah » Logged
jordan1984
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 05:48:54 pm »

Thank you both!  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: