Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:51:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AUTHORITARIANISM in GCx Churches  (Read 16831 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 08:41:48 pm »

Compliance in Authoritarian Churches has many disguises such as “Loyalty to God”, “Godliness”, “Maturity”.  Your quotient of these is measured directly and exclusively by your submission to leaders.  They very often use the word “Teachability” or some derivative of it to describe the status of individuals in their flock.  When really all those spiritual sounding labels are simply how much one agrees with or goes along with the rules and plans of those in charge.  Deceptively, these GCx characterizations have little or nothing to do with Abiding in or Dependence upon Christ (which is truly what transforms us into those very things).  One former member effectively and sadly describes this common practice of authoritarianism in GCx Churches below.

There is a ladder you are told you must climb, a level of spirituality you must obtain, and you are trying so hard to be like the people you look up to.  And not only that, but there is a race to the top of the ladder.  It’s you against your fellow brothers and sisters to see who can reach spiritual maturity first.  But you begin to notice that the spiritual maturity ruler isn’t really about “maturity” as you thought you knew it.  It’s about your “teachability”, how willing you are listen and agree with and “run with” what the people over you are telling you. ... And one day you come to the realization that you’ve sacrificed too much of yourself... You ask yourself if certain things you did like cut off all your former friends, and put your biological family on the back burner of your life were necessary, or even wise.  
-knit_in_no_more
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:10:01 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2019, 10:12:02 pm »

There are very few churches in the world that are still the same as they are 30 to 40 years ago. I think most of this information is severely outdated. I can say things about Great Commission Churches of 40 years ago, that have absolutely nothing to do with how they are right now. I remember one church that took their ties off during a service to show that they didn't need that anymore. Then they took the piano outside and smashed the thing to pieces. Now, anyone who has been in Great Commission churches knows that that someone can make that accusation, but it really doesn't represent what happened. Heck Dennis Clark was known and is known to play the piano. He even made recordings of it.

The important thing is to give current information. Or if someone is offended by something in the past to bring it up with the one that they are offended by and get it resolved. Bringing up things of 30 years ago is like trying to figure out how a computer works by studying an old DOS 2.1 manual. Some things are the same, but we're talking about a totally different computer system.

GCx is totally different now than it was 35 years ago. Some of you are complaining about the Evergreen church. That's probably the church that has changed the most. 35 years ago, no one in GCx would agree with their philosophy of ministry.  And someone like Brent Knox will be the first one to say that.

You can leave a GCx church and not lose any friends and totally leave in peace. I know, because I have done this for a period of 10 years and continued to have great relationships with people there. As a matter of fact, I would say that the majority of people who are or were part of a GCx church will leave it for whatever reason at some time. Especially campus churches.

I don't know where you all get these testimonies, but I would bet, that they were all more than 30 years ago. And yes, in the seventies and early eighties, people were strongly encouraged to stay with the church in order to "reach the world."  They weren't put under some sort of discipline, if they did leave the church. Take for instance Steve Hogan. He left the church for a few years and came back and then was appointed as a pastor/elder. That happened in the Seventies.

Church discipline was given for unrepentant sins. Examples that were frequent were for instance sexual immorality, using illegal drugs, continual lying, etc... But not for leaving the church. I kept in touch as a friend with people that left the church.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2019, 10:20:51 am »

Not only are such criticisms of real testimonies on here misinformed and obviously unresearched (anyone who has actually read the excerpts and stories on this site would observe that a good many of the dates of those spiritually abused by GCx were after 2001 (ten years after its secret apology).  It seems there is conviction at work in the truth of the Scriptures shared in this post that is making some quite uncomfortable.

Conviction from the Holy Spirit is meant to condemn the action of the believer, not the person.  It is used by God in his kindness to point out the error so that it can be genuinely repented of.  He deeply loves all those who have received him and become his children.  But, he will not stand by and let his people remain abused.  He is their deliverer and their defender.  In other words, don’t mess with his people or he’ll be on your back.  Of course, the evil of degrading and robbing believers of their acceptance and power in Christ will bring The Almighty to action.  

God’s vengeance and vindication is so moving in Psalm 18.

“In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help.
From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him into his ears

The earth trembled and quaked, and the foundations of the earth shook;
They trembled because he was angry.
Smoke rose from his nostrils; consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it.

He parted the heavens and came down; dark clouds were under his feet...
Out of the brightness of his presence clouds advance, with hailstones and bolts of lightning.
The LORD thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded.

He shot his arrows and scattered the enemies, great bolts of lightning and routed them.
The valleys of the sea were exposed and the foundations of the earth laid bare at your rebuke, O LORD, at the blast from your nostrils.

He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of many waters.
He rescued me from my powerful enemy...
They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the LORD was my support.
He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me...

The LORD lives!  Praise be to my Rock!  
...He is the God who avenges me, who subdues nations under me, who saves me from my enemies.
You exalted me above my foes; from violent men you rescued me.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 08:02:23 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2019, 08:01:15 pm »

Fantastic quote from this site about GCx Authoritarianism:

“Those who used to have authority in my life forfeited their right to shepherd me
when they used me for their ends and not Christ's.”

-Outtathere

Jesus spoke as One with authority (SMICHA) because He didn't speak as the teachers of their Law (Torah teachers), but with authority. Jesus' Smicha was confirmed at His baptism. The quote demonstrates  a lack of understanding of what is Biblical authority. The authority always needs to come from the Word of God or the Text, not from themselves.
Linda

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2019, 05:26:59 am »

Quote from: Janet
Conviction from the Holy Spirit is meant to condemn the action of the believer, not the person.  It is used by God in his kindness to point out the error so that it can be genuinely repented of.  He deeply loves all those who have received him and become his children.  But, he will not stand by and let his people remain abused.  He is their deliverer and their defender.  In other words, don’t mess with his people or he’ll be on your back.  Of course, the evil of degrading and robbing believers of their acceptance and power in Christ will bring The Almighty to action. 

Janet,

Thanks for the reminder and the encouragement.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2019, 07:31:09 pm »

Real people...  Real stories...   Real Authoritarianism...

You either agree with what they are telling you or you will be punished, talked about sarcastically, dismissed, made fun of, questioned about sin in your life, and/or be accused of losing the faith.  If anyone left our church, it was whispered about them having unrepentant sin or [that] they had been deceived.  Don’t ask questions.  Don’t speak up for it will hurt gods image and hurt the body of Christ. ... It is, again, heartbreaking because families were shamed and guilted into trusting only what their pastors told them to do. ... Going against a pastor or pastors was going against god which meant hell or the devil had a foothold.  They would use fear to make you be quiet and go along.
-Shamednomore

Leadership was involved in telling people who they could date and whom they should marry.  People who went to get counsel from leadership on taking jobs that would take them away from the ministry were told not to leave, regularly, and controlled.  People who left anyway were always slandered.  Other churches in the area were always seen as lacking in zeal and looked down upon.
-DevastedTC

...in talking with a local Navs leader, I found that these problems have already effectively shot down the GC's [GCx alias] good name.  I had only to mention the name of the movement to him and he immediately knew the sort of problems I'd faced with them in college.  He said he even used to run a ministry where a large percentage of the couples were in "GC-recovery".
-2xA Ron    [left ~ 2012]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 08:42:06 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2019, 07:50:30 pm »

Give the Controls Over to WHO?!

Please take note of the year that this occurred.  GCx was teaching this anti-biblical guidance around 1977.  Forty years LATER they are still preaching this heresy of LORDING IT OVER!!!

A couple months ago, a pastor at the church [GCx Evergreen Church ~ 2007] we used to attend said in a Sunday sermon:  “And so even to give the controls over to God, that’s hard, but the real kicker here is that God is saying, “Give the controls over to people that I work through. And these people are fallible, these people make mistakes, these people are weak at times. You’ve got to work through it anyway, that’s what God says.” ...after that sermon was preached... [an] individual pulled my husband aside at a gathering, told him about it, and said, “Things are getting really weird there.”
-MamaD

This instead is true biblical pastoral guidance:

Tend (nurture, guard, guide, and fold) the flock of God... not by coercion or constraint...
Not domineering [as arrogant, dictatorial, and overbearing persons] over those in your charge, but being examples (patterns and models of Christian living) to the flock (the congregation).

1 Peter 5:2-3  (AMP)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 08:27:54 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 10:33:44 am »

It seems in GCx churches there is a strong undercurrent of rivalry between members, between leaders, and between them and “other” churches. It is far from a relaxed atmosphere.  After initially being lovebombed and “knit in”, resting in God’s acceptance of oneself in Christ and thereby accepting others the same way seems a bit of a foreign concept there. Most were competing for coveted spots in the leaders’ circles.  There was a lot of false spirituality being practiced to gain those positions. I know this because I did it and so did others I have heard from who left.  They actually admitted they were faking it.  I personally believe that was learned by subtle imitation of many leaders who were faking it.  Streams of jealousy and godless ambition flowed down from the top.

However, that is not at all how REAL love from God operates.  It is humble and rejoices at others’ success.  It produces celebration at others using THEIR gifts and talents to serve God WHEREVER he calls them so that HE might be glorified.  

“If there is therefore any exhortation in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any tender mercies and compassion... doing nothing through rivalry or through conceit, but in humility, each counting others better than himself; each of you not just looking to his own things, but each of you also to the things of others.”    Philippians 2:1-4

However, in GCx Churches serving and honoring the leaders and their organization is put way above serving and loving and honoring the members of the church.  They have suppressed members’ callings and desires to honor God.  They rule with twisted Scriptures that heap false guilt upon their members.  They take great pains to hide their many offenses against them.  Here are some real life experiences.

I personally don't see the love of God expressed in leaders that cover up abuse for decades.  I don't see agape love, selfless love, when leaders dig their heels in because they need to protect their position and power.  Such continuous conscious efforts to suppress victims and abuse makes me question the godliness and righteousness these leaders purport.
-Badger

...when somebody says to an elder, "God told me to start saving up money to become a missionary in (some place without a GC church)" the response should not be, "Well, wait a minute! What about your loyalty to GC [GCx]? Who exactly have you sought counsel from?" That is exactly the kind of stuff that goes on. A lack of faith that God actually does speak to non-leaders. That's what I mean when I say GComm [GCx] needs to wake up and realize being in "leadership" does not put you closer to the voice of God. As Jesus says, those who follow him will hear his voice. ... It is not the pastor's place to come down and attempt to micromanage the lives of the congregation, or attempt to tell people how to personally apply the biblical principals they are supposed to be teaching.  
-Escape From Summitview

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:23:55 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2022, 10:07:31 am »

AUTHORITARIANISM in GCx Churches

The Rock Church, Minneapolis

Worth repeating and reminding:

The issue with the Rock Church, GCC, and other abusive pastors within the organization stems from like in most cults, false authority based on a man and the organization instead of God. Theology matters and from my own experience from attending The Rock Church Minneapolis for many years, the Bible was not the ultimate authority and instead ultimate authority came from Mark Darling in the life of the church member and then through the other pastors, and then finally through house church leaders. If a member disagreed with Mark theologically, Mark couldn't be challenged. Mark was the ultimate standard (not only to imitate but how the Bible should be interpreted), he set the rules, he couldn't be tested, and he was the voice of God in the lives of those he "shepherded." Like in most cults, bad theology hurts people. When someone comes and says he is from God and wants to preach Gods Word we say fantastic, but we test him and test his teachings to the Word of God like the Bereans did to the Apostle Paul who he in turn called them Nobel, where as if you tested Mark Darling within the Rock you were called divisive.  
-Apologia

« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 10:11:44 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2022, 03:24:15 pm »

Mark was the ultimate standard (not only to imitate but how the Bible should be interpreted), he set the rules, he couldn't be tested, and he was the voice of God in the lives of those he "shepherded."

This would be cause for alarm even with a formally educated pastor. When the pastor has no formal study of the Bible, of hermeneutics, of the original languages, or of any other discipline that would prevent him from going completely off the rails theologically, then it's especially troubling.

On top of that, toss out any meaningful way of holding the pastor accountable, and you've got a recipe for all kinds of possible damage.

This holds true for various GCx pastors from McCotter on down.

No pastor's authority is absolute. Otherwise, the New Testament wouldn't be so full of warnings about recognizing and rejecting  false teachers.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 08:28:42 pm by Huldah » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2022, 08:01:56 am »

Quote by Huldah
No pastor's authority is absolute. Otherwise, the New Testament wouldn't be so full of warnings about recognizing and rejecting  false teachers.

Yes, Huldah! 1 Peter 5 explicitly warns against that type of control. The references below define the word “Lordship” used in this verse. It also may be similar to the dominion given to man over the animals in Genesis. This is definitely not Biblical or New Testament leadership! This is sinful and damaging as former members have realized all too well.

Shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion,
but willingly according to God; and not for base gain but eagerly,
not as exercising lordship over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock.

1 Peter 5:2-3

2634 katakyrieúō (from 2596 /katá, "down, according to," intensifying 2691 /katastrēniáō, "exercise lordship") – properly, exercise decisive control (downward) as an owner with full jurisdiction; (passive) to be fully subjected to a master; to lord it over.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 12:42:54 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2022, 12:44:28 pm »

This is a really important point that I wish I had understood back in my GC days. We have no Scriptural obligation to submit to false teachers. Not only that, but it's our job to evaluate what our leaders teach to see whether or not it really lines up with Scripture. Our pastors are supposed to be examples to be followed, not kings to be obeyed. When they go astray into false teachings (including inflated teachings on their own authority) we have not just a right but, arguably, a duty to separate from them.

If anyone reading this is in an authoritarian church, feeling trapped because someone has used the Bible like a club to strip your of your freedom in Christ and force you into submission, then take heart. Read the New Testament for yourself and see how many times we're told to avoid bad teachers. When our church leaders become abusers, then we're free to leave with God's blessing and encouragement.

1 John 4:1
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God. For many false prophets have gone out into the world.

2 Timothy 3:1-5
But understand this: In the last days terrible times will come. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, without love of good, traitorous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. Turn away from such as these.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 12:46:12 pm by Huldah » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2022, 03:27:34 pm »

We have no Scriptural obligation to submit to false teachers. Not only that, but it's our job to evaluate what our leaders teach to see whether or not it really lines up with Scripture. Our pastors are supposed to be examples to be followed, not kings to be obeyed. When they go astray into false teachings (including inflated teachings on their own authority) we have not just a right but, arguably, a duty to separate from them.
-Huldah

Amen!!  Thank you Huldah. Can’t say that enough!

I’m trying to research where I heard that Bible students were asked to research the New Testament to find what topic is covered the most. They concluded False Teachers and their False Teaching was the primary topic -discussed over 75 times. Woa! Sounds pretty essential. Too bad it’s not given that importance in discipling materials or in many pulpits.

Yes, Huldah, God’s Word is the only permission we need, and boy will we have his approval!!  When I and many others left these False Teaching GCx Churches we significantly felt a great burden lifted and a great blessing bestowed. There was no mistaking God let us know in our Spirit we were now free.

Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me; for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

Matthew 11:28-30     BSB

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 08:56:07 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2023, 07:07:40 pm »

The dangerous hierarchy of authority between God and his people in GCx established churches has remained long after its founder, Jim McCotter, left; and the public relations “Apology Statement of 1991” was distributed to a few. This has been documented in the above testimonies ranging from 1977 to 2017 -for 40 years. We still receive reports today that even “GCx” Churches that have “partnered” with other associations very much practice this harmful abuse. Below is the original report from Ronald Enroth in his book, ”Churches That Abuse,” 1992. (All bold emphasis is mine):

In writing about Great Commission International (GCI), an organization founded in 1970 by “apostle” Jim McCotter, former member Jerry MacDonald notes that the group compares its leadership structure with a marriage. “GCI elders frequently refer to ones that have left the church as divorcing themselves from their family. They twist Scripture on God’s hatred of divorce and use it as a coercive technique to keep people from leaving their churches. Thus, ones who leave are taught that they have actually left God and sinned. What it really means is that the elders have usurped the loyalty and the devotion that is due Christ alone and refocused it on themselves.” [2]

MacDonald points out that the proof-text for the idea of “marriage” in relation to elders and leaders in GCI is found in Ephesians 5:22-6:9. The group cites 5:22 (“Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord”) as the key to their hierarchical system of authority. “Just as wives are to be in subjection to their husbands, so the church is to be in subjection to the elders. It seems that the elders are the physical manifestation of the authority of Christ. Just as a family mirrors the church’s relationship to the elders, so a wife and husband in the bond of marriage reflect the subjection the congregation should have to the elders.” [3]

In the Great Commission International, much emphasis is placed on “trusting God’s leading through others” -the “others” being those in leadership. In reality, this means surrendering one’s independence, obeying in all things, and submitting to the leaders. As numerous ex-members of GCI have told me, it amounts to the subjugation of members to the leadership. Failure to comply with the authoritarian dictates of the group can result in ex-communication, a common practice in GCI and other abusive-church groups.

If you do not give up your independence and follow in harmony, you will be reproved for “sowing discord in the body,” and if you still do not “harmonize,” you will be excommunicated for faction-since, according to GCI, there is no difference between trusting God and trusting a GCI leader. [1]

-Ronald Enroth, “Churches That Abuse”  

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 09:11:03 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2023, 06:07:26 am »

These verses stood out to me years ago. They seemed to represent what was done to us in GCx Churches.  God seems to be VERY aware of the oppression we experienced there. I believe he wants to wake each of us up to the false teaching we were wrongly taught so that we can stand up straight and confident in Christ; and get OUT from under their sinful power. There is more empowerment in leaving “GCx” Churches ourselves than from the doors simply shutting first (though that would be a victory also.) That way we learn through the strength of the Spirit to never make ourselves subject to such unrighteous leadership again.

‘Fall prostrate that we may walk over you.’
And you made your back to be like the ground,
like a street to be walked over.” …

“And now what do I have here?” declares the Lord.

“For my people have been taken away for nothing,
and those who rule them mock,” declares the Lord.

“And all day long my name is constantly blasphemed.” …

Awake, awake, O Zion, clothe yourself with strength…
Shake off your dust; rise up, sit enthroned, O Jerusalem.
Free yourself from the chains on your neck,
O captive Daughter of Zion.

Isaiah 51:23, 52:5,1,2

« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 06:28:22 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2023, 08:00:40 pm »

I've been a member of a [GCx] church that Dennis Clark planted here in Maryland (before he left for Colorado).  I've always had this vague feeling of things being slightly "off" at this church, but could never put my finger on it. ... Almost from the beginning, I had some concerns about the accuracy of some uses of biblical "twisting"

... I was looking for info on the church, just because I was starting to feel things were not right -- but I had no idea that the issues went so broadly, so deep and so far back into the past. ... We'll have to see where God leads -- and this will have to be between us and God, NOT the leadership, obviously!!

The interesting thing I'm seeing is how the indoctrination of whatever someone desires turning into "God's Will" is filtering down to our teens.  I'm seeing all kinds of nonsense which is supposedly "God's will", and then the other teens will back them up as their "safety in a multitude of counselors".  Yikes -- it's scary......

-askingquestionsaboutgci

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2023, 09:39:26 am »

After receiving Christ, I started attending a GCx group where I was taught that pleasing God meant obeying the church leaders without question.  The leaders of GCx essentially became a substitute for Christ's intended rule over the church.  We were told we that we should follow the leaders like the Israelites followed Moses, yet God clearly states the old covenant has been done away with and a new one is in place with direct access to God through Christ.  GCx seems to be perverting the means by which God's people communicate and relate to Him.  They have set themselves in a very disturbing position between God and his people.  Jesus Christ died for the unrighteousness of his people so that they would have the Righteousness, Holiness, Mindfulness of Christ, and Priestly Authority themselves to speak to and hear from God.  He alone is their Lord, Master and Saviour.  

-Janet

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: