Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:10:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GCx Invalidated Commands of God in Handing Down Their Traditions of Loyalty  (Read 12676 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: April 23, 2021, 06:09:30 pm »

GCx Invalidated Commands of God
in Handing Down Their Traditions of Loyalty

THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS,
BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.
‘AND IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE COMMANDMENTS OF MEN.’
Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”

He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. For Moses said, ‘HONOR YOUR FATHER AND YOUR MOTHER’; and, ‘THE ONE WHO SPEAKS EVIL OF FATHER OR MOTHER, IS CERTAINLY TO BE PUT TO DEATH’;
but you say, ‘If a person says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is, given to God),’
you no longer allow him to do anything for his father or his mother;
thereby invalidating the word of God by your tradition
 which you have handed down;
and you do many things such as that.”

Mark 7:6-13

Though I have read these verses a few times before, yesterday they really woke me up to what I believe also happened to us in GCx.  Jesus was addressing the Pharisees and teachers of the law about 2000 years ago, but I personally think he would say the same thing today to the those who taught traditions of harmful loyalty in GCx, mostly originating with the founder.  It is profound to me that this describes why we didn’t sense the love of Jesus from the pulpit or from indoctrinated and loyal members.  Their traditions made void his commandment to LOVE ONE ANOTHER AS YOURSELF.  

I sure wasn’t practicing this command when I would manipulate and hound people I was “following-up” to fully commit to the GCx church, MORE than God’s plans for them.  I learned this smothering practice from those who discipled me.  They learned it from those who discipled them.  Some of that group learned it from McCotter himself.  We all were to obey the GCx leaders’ teaching without question to actually shun those who left and accept the slanderous stories about them, though nearly all were ill-treated because they didn’t tow the “loyalty measures”, not because they were sinful (or unrepentant of sin).  We further learned to “exult and fear those in the inside circle” and to treat “less-faithful” (less “loyal to GCx”) members with less regard; not to mention those outside GCx.  They were to receive much less love and care according to the customs of GCx loyalty though they were our own family and friends.  These tightly held and longstanding traditions of GCx actually made void God’s commandment to love one another; and give more value to those appearing “less-useful” to us.  GCx pretty much threw this vital commandment of Jesus out the door.

Anyhow, I believe this invalidation of God’s Word to loyally keep their traditions is KEY in comprehending what happened to us there.  The voiding of God’s commands in GCx can very likely be applied to several of God’s most important commandments.  For instance, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL.  Entrapping people through false pretenses and keeping people captive through fear by deception and lies is somewhat similar to kidnapping.  Did you know that one of the original meanings for “steal” in the 10 Commandments was KIDNAP because it had to do with stealing a person?.  Perhaps it is even more serious because they were taking for themselves what belonged to God.  Also what GCx practiced could be related to kidnapping in that stealing people who weren’t necessarily there of their own volition based on FULLY DISCLOSED TRUTH.  Many of us realized later if we had known what was required of us and the lack of worth and power in our own spiritual gifts, we NEVER would have stayed.  GCx got extremely far from honoring and practicing this 7th commandment as well as LOVING YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.  What invalidation and hypocrisy!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:21:24 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Vince Capobianco
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 01:30:23 pm »

1 John 4:20 "If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen."

Prove you are not a liar.  Speak to Jim and make it right!
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 02:15:15 pm »

You don't have to hate a false teacher in order to expose his false teaching.
Linda

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 04:05:56 pm »

Pretty sure Jim can’t make a case for his theological views and his past practices or he would be here explaining and not sending a representative to do his bidding. He needs to control the situation and demands full attention.
1 John 4:20 "If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen."

Prove you are not a liar.  Speak to Jim and make it right!

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 04:39:05 pm »

Besides which , there's something really dodgy about calling people liars while refusing to name even one lie they've told. The burden is not on anyone here to prove they're not a liar; the burden is on Vince to prove that we are.
Linda

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 05:04:36 pm »

Plus, calling someone a liar is actual libel if you can’t prove they told a lie. Disagreeing with theology is not even close to libel or slander.

Also, they don’t even know what slander is. It is an oral untrue defamatory statement. Libel is written untrue defamatory statements. But the phrase “gossip and slander” stuck and they have gone with it for decades.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 05:07:44 pm by Linda » Logged

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 09:34:54 am »

Very good points in both posts, Linda. Since Vince has never exposed even a single instance of lying, I've begun to wonder whether he's actually ever read what people have written here. Is it possible he's simply taking McCotter's word about this forum, without ever having checked it out it for himself?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 10:51:47 am by Huldah » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 03:15:04 pm »

GCx Invalidates God’s Commands with Cult Loyalty

Leaving a “Evangelical” Cult

Note the reasons WHY the woman left her evangelical cult in this video (below with link). Many are oh so familiar to us who left GCx which was founded by a similar leader, Jim McCotter. Her problems with her ‘evangelical’ group seemed to have little to do with Jesus or faith, but with man-made rules and condemnation. “Yelling” at the people on the street corner can come across as condemning and shaming rather than inviting and offering God’s love.  

So many examples she gave were of men’s control of people, rather than God’s freedom of control by the Holy Spirit.  It is VERY interesting that her group adamantly claimed they were not a cult because they included mainstream Christian doctrines in their teaching. Her humorous recounting of the things they required yet “were not a cult” were powerful.  Her tearful recalling of a compassionate and insightful women reaching out to her to give her freedom and hope to leave her oppressive group when she was all grown up seemed to be heaven-inspired.

You are all grown-up and can leave the oppression of McCotter’s traditions and GCx whenever you’re ready also.

Link to: Why I left an Evangelical Cult.  (From TEDx Talks)

https://youtu.be/-U4Cq-dgNnw

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:19:17 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 10:13:36 pm »

Believing Produces Fruit, Not Man-ipulation

If you remain in Me and My words remain in you,
ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
This is to My Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit,
proving yourselves to be My disciples.
As the Father has loved Me, so have I loved you.
Remain in My love.…

John 15:7-9

There was a LOT of talk about bearing fruit and a LOT of man-made definitions of such in GCx Churches. This divine work of producing a disposition and humility like Jesus and it’s accompanying good works was lost there. Fruit was relabeled “bodies”. I remember McCotter rebuking us members that unless we had some people following us around like ducklings, we were not being “fruitful”. He made it very clear that having your own personal disciples to sit with you in church was what made you worthy and “spiritual”. The more you brought the more spiritual you were. It didn’t matter how you got them there, or what manipulation took place, or what lies were promised by their attendance. It only matter that they kept growing in number and that they filled the room.

Where is the abiding in Him?  Where is demonstration of Christ’s love that remains in us?

These new people may have been physically present, but not necessarily of their own volition or desire. They may have been told their own church is not as spiritual as GCx. They may have been coerced into going to 2 or 3 meetings a week instead of being devoted to there college education. They may have been conveniently “love-bombed” expecting falsely that their new “friends” are as loyal to their well-being as their ‘former’ friends and family.

Where is the Glory of God in this?  Where is the proof of fruit that is like Christ?

This kind of fruit bearing in GCx seemed to have little to do with abiding in Christ. But, a lot of man-pushing power producing a lot of man-made fruit. (I’m not saying people didn’t get saved if they truly trusted Christ. I’m saying they became weak, and withered, and dried up because abiding in the vine by believing was not the model of fruitfulness. They didn’t get the proper nutrition to be refreshed and grow.) Jesus said the following to the Pharisees who practiced similar things:

“Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you
and given to a people who will produce it’s fruit.”

Matthew 21:43

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 04:59:58 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 06:32:22 pm »

DECEPTION:  A Tradition of Corrupt Loyalty

GCx Leaders did often use deceptive ways to manipulate people. One was as a means of operating their church for free on multiple week nights and Sundays on college campuses. This may also have been a scheme to stay ‘under the radar’ from parents and the theologically trained of being spiritually immature and unhealthy by going after very young adults. They also used students to promote and proselytize for their church, and even prop up campus preaching. Not all those attending campus preachings were there of their own accord. There was a LOT of “staging” in GCx.

I think these attempts to humanly produce the activity of the Holy Spirit that they wanted to copy from the book of Acts were chaff in God’s eyes. Often, GCx aimed at their own glorification, sadly not God’s. In the process of manipulating a “thunderous” impact and spiking their numbers they exploited many unknowing people, often students. Their invented flurry and feigned “urgency” often making members dizzy in keeping up was usually orchestrated from the top (though they claim their churches were independent). Below are some examples of such deception.

...all this as if the Church is their's and not God's: newflash to GC* ecclesiology (what you dump in favor of "optional, debatable" "philosophy of ministry"--which is wickedness), authority, leadership, teaching, church order...it's all addressed in Scripture: and many of the books you guys are drawing from directly affront, ignore, divert attention from, and totally oppose what is Scriptural in all those matters. But I think you men know that and don't care, as many words of speciousness you might present to the contrary, as many praises you give God, adoration you profess for his word, you read it...then rant your own ideas. GC* [GCx] doesn't believe in Christ the head, if we look at what it has always demonstrated practically, it is totally depraved of any such concept.

...when has anyone in GC* ever been straight-up when asked to be forthright and accountable with anyone on this forum? Did you seriously just tell someone here to call-up gator and ask about things? What about the dude who went onto that in Florida who was among those commissioned to manipulate the Wikipedia page? [NS] came here to tell us all about that and apologize for his part, even.
- theresearchperson

...it was similar to what happened in Ames in the 70's when the church was misrepresented as a student organization in order to gain access to university buildings. ... when they were "caught" lying by saying they weren't a church, but rather a student organization so they could have access to campus buildings?
- Linda

..named the student organization Harvest House Foundation.  Having myself been there from day one, before there were students actually attending the church or involved in the "student" organization, the student organization was sold to the congregation as "a cover" for the church, to gain it access to the public university grounds, services, utilities, and buildings.

...the [Purdue University GCI/GCx] “student organization" published a prochure for itself at RM’s direction (as Harvest House Foundation) and placed a group photograph of Trinity Bible Church on its cover, as if the photo of Trinity were actually a picture of the student organization--the majority of people in that photograph were not students, school staff, or faculty.  How is that NOT a gross deception?

Those who claim the deception was not deception, but merely clever marketing or skillful politics, continue to lie to themselves about what GCI was or about what they themselves did.
-ANobody

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy,
which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world
rather than on Christ.

Colossians 2:8

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 07:13:22 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Vince Capobianco
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 01:30:33 pm »

X
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 01:41:55 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 10:05:12 am »

Abicating Love For One Another

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.

John 15:12

Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Luke 6:31

In the greedy and impatient ambition of increasing their numbers to create a large empire, GCx Churches did not really take care of their people, especially those who had less to give. The only needs that were made known were those of the leaders themselves, with the exception of couple “favored saints.” A lot of members were busy providing free services to them on a regular basis. When there were only 30 (including elders and their wives) of us in the beginning (in Maryland) we were expected to support 3 “elders” and their growing families. How many very small churches do you know that support 3 pastors? Ridiculous! Probably intended to greatly accelerate the spread of the “movement.” Two of them should have gotten full-time jobs.

As a result, some members had a full or part-time job just taking care of the highly honored “elders.” After multiple weekly teaching sessions, “fellowship” events, and Sunday services where the members mostly set up and took down the entire physical church in a campus or public building somewhere; there was babysitting, shopping, haircutting, moving, painting, printing, etc. It was like running a business outside your full-time job. Oh, I didn’t mention visitation (“discipling”) and phone calling of people you were trying to “sell” membership of GCx to. No time to even think about getting off the crazy burdensome treadmill. Of course, most of the teachings were absurdly about giving more - time, money, skills; and getting more people in the church - saved already or not.

Anyhow, I came across this scripture today as I’m reading through Acts, and I said to myself - “WAIT!” - that verse actually says “distribute to anyone as he has need.” It doesn’t say distributed to the elders families. As far I understand (from my observance and what I have read here) - THAT...was NOT HAPPENING in GCx. Sometimes even leader’s (not in important circles) needs were ignored. Care for the flock’s needs were not really recognized. They seemed to be ignored, or blamed on some sinful action of that member.

Like the Pharisees, McCotter and many GCx leaders seemed to press on only a few commands of the Bible, but abdicated the weightier things - like LOVE for one another.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 05:36:33 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 11:27:58 pm »

I've been attending a GCM church for about a year and am now desperately trying to extricate myself from it. At first it will seem like a wonderful place. people are close and encouraging. they want to be a part of your life. they are serious about spiritual growth. Eventually though it all becomes something very different. I wish I had known. it would have been so much easier to leave. in the last year, i have seen them encourage people to cut off contact with individuals who choose to attend other CHRISTIAN churches.
- Ophelia,   2010

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 09:34:15 pm »

The brief version is that I came from a broken family and was sucked right into the great commission system [GCx] on campus with promises of a family and friends and places to go on weekends and holidays. I bought it, and the twisted gospel and the expectation of doing a gcm related thing everyday... Long story short, I wound up on leadership and spending summers as a missionary on summer project and leading multiple bible studies and root groups a week.

I married someone from the church and after a while, they commuted suicide. The church, being ill equipped for such things, with untrained and unprepared staff and bad theology, blamed me for not being enough for my mentally unwell spouse - and in short order I was shamed and I left the church. People who had been my family, I thought, abandoned me in this time of greatest need and greatest grief (ignoring the command they/we had often repeated to care for orphans and widows--- adopt all the babies! Marry young and have a quiverful! --- when an actual widow was in their midst and on their campus.

-lovebombed,   2017

« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 10:04:50 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2023, 10:14:03 pm »

I was told I could become selfish if I did not move in with other singles because then we we all could serve the church together in "unity.” ...

There were many times when talking with a pastor (a couple in particular) seeking advice on an issue that I realized that the conversation was pointless because they gave the standard GC speak that they heard years before. Everything is recycled and really there is nothing new that they have to say- especially in difficult circumstances...

I quickly lost favor when I resisted pressure from the pastor and other leaders to move in with the other single guys. I knew they thought I was being disloyal and selfish. ... He showed me at that point what they look for in pastors- don't think for yourself and follow the company line. ... Once he said that I gave him a disapproving look and walked away. All I wanted was for him to listen and be a friend. I knew all the same lines that he or anyone else could quote verbatim from the GC Leadership handbook. Not too long after he became a pastor, but he never really spoke to me again. ...

-Grounded,   2011

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 08:26:19 pm »

Too many GCx Leaders acted like Pharisees when it came to their “faith in God.” They were quick to judge any perceived infraction of the letter of the law or their traditions. They seemed happier to find something to reprove their members about than to privately pray for them. Putting someone else down to prop themselves up was the game at play in most GCx churches according to former members telling their stories on this site.

McCotter was the example they followed in regard to unity. McCotter’s “unity” required absolute devotion to a man or group of men apart from the truth of God’s Word, which is actually idolatry. That is not the unity the Bible advocates. Scripture instructs us instead not to cause division from others who possess His Spirit in Christ. They share the same Lord, same faith, and same Father. We are not to knock his children. But, if they are teaching abusive error regarding the gospel or its practice we are to correct them first. Then, if they rebel against correction, we are to flee from their teaching and warn others.

GCx, when I was part of it, outrightly disobeyed this command of biblical unity (of shared recognition of Jesus as Lord) by speaking against all kinds of sound christian groups and men to prop themselves up as superior. When they shunned members who left their group they were not pursuing peace but enmity, frequently slandering them (“the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation”.)

There are numerous occasions of Pharisaical treatment of their members and of twisting scripture to selfishly benefit themselves and their organization which brought much harm to the lives of their members.

As a prisoner in the Lord, then, I urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling you have received: with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, and with diligence to preserve the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Ephesians 4:1-6

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 06:15:23 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2023, 07:56:52 pm »

LEGALISM in GCx Churches

Below are just a few excerpts of members’ experiences with intense and stifling legalism inside the confines of GCx. The first person here relates a ‘typical’ conversation and accusations of GCx leaders condemning him on not following their “letter of the law.”

Until I came across this site, I had all but forgotten so much of the crushing control that GCI [GCx alias] had exercised over our lives. … And that is the essence of "lording it over the flock" and legalism. …

"Are you too good to eat the food the community is eating?"  "You have a rebellious heart."  "You are stiff necked."  "I would never call you a fool, but these Proverbs do."  And so it continued... At the last of these camping retreats that we ever attended, one elder gave a teaching that culminated in telling us all to pledge (vow, make an oath) that we would be committed to, and reside with, this assembly for the rest of our lives.

"What seems to be the problem?  Why can you not commit to be a part of the body of Christ?"  

"I am a member of the body of Christ.  Don't you think that any of us will ever leave for employment, to become missionaries, or to get married?"

"That's my whole point!  The church will send you on your mission.  The church will guide you to proper employment.  The single men will only marry inside the church.  So, no, I cannot think of any reason when I would intentionally leave this assembly."

-EverAStudent

The general attitude at GC was certainly one of legalism over grace, and following the letter of the law over the spirit.

-Huldah

What I found, of course was that GCx tended to attract - or maybe more so develop - an environment of Christian legalism and extremism that was suffocating

-calgal

You will not see the legalism at first. They are trying to get you "knit in" as soon as you are being preened for leadership and have enough knowledge, then it begins. They have few expectations for those they call “on the fringe" except to get you indoctrinated and knit in.  

I would steer clear.  But I was in the Ames [GCx] church for too long and it crippled my relationship with God and understanding of Christianity which I am recovering from since finding a good church … and this support group.

-wastedyearsthere

This forum is for those who have experienced, spiritual abuse, false teaching, bondage, legalism and numerous other hurts from GCM and the church they were apart of under the GCM umbrella.  In 1991 a paper was written regarding weaknesses and errors.  Sadly, those errors and weaknesses are still happening

-Heidi,   2018

The [GCx] group/church is very deceiving, it looks good from far away but the closer and closer you look, you can see how destructive it is and how flawed their teachings are. My suggestion, warn her to stay at a distance, do not let her go to FaithWalkers or let her stay and participate in the summer program called epicenter. As Christians, we are free from the bondage of slavery to sin, we have freedom in Christ to LIVE, not just freedom from sin but freedom from legalism. My advice? stay away and safe yourself from a lot of pain and trying to be good enough and just live in the freedom of the saving Christ.

-free

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2023, 07:31:45 pm »

Both excerpts are taken from the thread topic, “GC*’s Legalism,” on this site posted in 2009. For the full post, the link is: http://forum.gcmwarning.com/general-discussion/gc*'s-legalism/

Actually, my definition of legalism is not strictly mine, nor an original invention.  Further, this rather common defition of legalism is derived directly from what Jesus said.  "And He said to them, "Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written: 'THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS, BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME. 'BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME, TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.' "Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men." He was also saying to them, "You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition." (Mark 7:6-9)

So, legalism is being an expert at inventing laws that God never delivered to men.  Worse, legalism is imposing those invented laws on others.

-ANobody

I've mentioned here the (very official, present, pastor-taught) [GCx] teaching that "if one must obey God or men who are you're leaders, you're to obey your leaders, and in so doing you're trusting God by trusting your leaders, so that if they've erred it's they who'll be held accountable"; this was not denied by those I confronted over it--indeed they INTENSELY fought in favor of it, asserting it, 'NO, I MUST TRUST MY LEADERS': this is what GC teaches its leaders in the leader meanings, training, etc. …

it's teaching of obeying men over God, which Scripture is explicitly clear, which Jesus is clear, is not to be done; notice, though...this is the essence of legalism. GC* in that sense is every bit like the Pharisees, and explicitly condemned by Scripture, the very kind of false prophets and wolves it warns the sheep to beware, and for Christians to expose publicly and reject…

-theresearchpersona

« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 07:34:06 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2023, 07:50:17 pm »

GCx Invalidated Commands of God Through Their Traditions

D-I-S-R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Show proper respect to everyone,
love the family of believers, fear God…

2 Peter 2:17

A new commandment I give to you, that you should love one another.
As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.

John 13:34

“GCx” Churches in general seem to greatly disrespect their followers, and God’s command to respect them. This sadly was also imitated by many of their group leaders and “mentors.” This rude and careless habit was often requested by leaders in “spying” on them and reporting their words and actions. In quite unchristian fashion these reports were often exchanged for the condemnation of the new believer and propping up of the mentor/leader. The quite unnecessary and disrespectful rebukes toward the follower serve not only to falsely raise the respect of the rebuker, but also crush the dignity and personhood of the receiver.

The tri-weekly teachings also included much of this brow beating especially by “comparison” with “faithful” people (often the leaders themselves). This spiritual abuse of crushing the spirit-led autonomy of followers is quite the opposite of what Jesus commanded. (I am not talking about moral failures at all here.) I am talking about their unbiblical traditions of commitment and loyalty.

Though I may not agree with every point of this abstract, the article below seems to address the grave environment of DISRESPECT of Bible-based Cults. Here are some excerpts from ”Communities of Disrespect: What Happens When Personhood is Lost” by Shaquo Bailey and Tori Shaw, Franklin and Marshall College:

Our aim in this paper is to argue that individuals join religious cults as persons, but lose their personhood as their position in the group is solidified…  

…constitutes personhood and how persons have a specific kind of value, or “dignity”, that renders them worthy of moral respect. … how recruitment tactics induce a sense of estrangement from the world in prospective cult members, and why cult leaders shower their devotees with affection in order to acquire control. … how fear of social isolation and information control is used to undermine the cult devotee’s capacity for “rational control”, as it prevents one from deliberately arriving at a practical judgement that is fully theirs. …

Communities of Disrespect:  What Happens When Personhood is Lost
https://digitalcommons.denison.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1169&context=episteme

« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 08:57:51 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2023, 06:43:44 pm »

I initially felt loved by the members but soon they became controlling. They wanted 100% commitment. I was told not to go home for the summer and to live in the house other girls lived in. That was fine. They considered me second class to other "older sisters". The one older sister wasn't that nice. She was controlling and complained about petty things.

They wanted my savings and took it. Thousands of dollars. They wanted me to tithe more than ten percent, which I did. They had activities almost every day of the week. I participated as much as I could and they still weren't happy. So I tried to find ways of not going to all the activities. When one good friend left the church, they tried to keep me from seeing her. To the point where they had one church member follow me. I knew I had to leave.

-Free.to.love.Jesus,   2023

From Huldah:

Free.to.Love.Jesus, I read what you posted when you first came here, about them conning you out of your savings and having someone follow you to make sure you didn't talk to a friend who'd been excommunicated. That was so wrong! I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Free.to.love.Jesus,

I agree with what Huldah said above. That is not anyone’s place but God’s to direct your giving. He desires us to be cheerful in it. It is never anyone’s place to abusively persuade you to do something against your conscience. They have no idea or business to know who or what your savings were for. I was once rebuked for offering to give a family member (who’d never asked before) money they genuinely needed. The GCx leading sister (as she had been discipled in GCx) told me that money should go to the church. It was also over and above my tithe. She only knew because she was listening in on a private phone conversation I was having with my family member, and reproved me when I hung up the phone. (By the way, this sister realizes now how ungodly GCx was in that condescending control.)

I feel like GCx’s use of our time (including winter breaks and summers during college and free time we had when working), our finances, and our talents were robbed of us in many ways through deceptive manipulation. Using condescending remarks about our “lack of commitment” from the “pulpit;” implying our sacrifices of family and finances were for God was very much like the Pharisees did (below). When actually it was for the GCx brand and it’s glorification.

“You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!
For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and, ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother
is to be put to death.’ But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used
to help their father or mother is Corban (that is, devoted to God)—
then you no longer let them do anything for their father or mother
Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that.”

Mark 7:9-13

I will pray somehow God will restore those “robbed” finances to you in his wonderfully divine way.

Janet

« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 05:28:33 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: