Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:30:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whatever happened to...?  (Read 36190 times)
lone gone
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« on: May 31, 2007, 01:10:01 pm »

Having been involved in the Ames Iowa church/ISU Bible Study for 7 years in the ealry days, I knew many men who were recognized as elders and group leaders. I was wondering if anyone knew whatever happened to some of them.

One man I considered one of my best friends was Ed Hofmeister. He moved to California to be with GCIC out there.

Gary Kellogg and Larry Climente were elders.

Ken and Cindy Johnson
Greg and Rachel Cranston
Roopchand Mohunlal
Ev Cherrington
Dan Berglund
Mark McCulley
Dean Frish

There are many others that I have since heard about. I know where they are and whether they are involved with GC or have left.

I have many fond memories of times with these people, and often my heart aches when I realize that these people are lost to me for now.

It is bittersweet to think that many more good memories were possible but were not to be.

I am not interested in re-connecting with them, I'd just like to know that they are OK.

TIA
DesiringTruth
Private Forum Access
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 10:31:43 am »

Lone Gone, Ken Johnson, I believe, is a pastor in the GC Minneapolis church. You can contact him at kjohnson@evergreencc.com.

I have heard where Greg and rachel Cranston are, but I cannot remember. I will post here in the future if I can determine that. Same with Roopchand.  I believe Boak Desmond has had contact with Ev Cherrington, and I think I can contact Boak to ask him.  The others I have no ideas about. I don't believe Greg, Roopchand, or Ev are involved with GC anymore.
exshep
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 10:56:00 pm »

These are Columbus/Washington church elders.  Larry Boyle or Teung Chin?

Had friend in Columbus church 80's and 90s. Member left in 1993  Involved GC in Texas  2005-2007.  Empathy to both  with  positive and negative aspects.
ustawannabee
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 02:27:25 pm »

Ev Cherrington still lives in Ames and attends GC. Mark McCauley lives in DM and does not

Now I am free to be me in Christ!
star

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 08:42:51 pm »

Stan Berberich,Jeff hansel, Bill Taylor, Phil Vanderham,Milt Wilcox, Marc Beauchamp, Eugene Pressman, Zandy Conner, Kim Hunter,Gary Teilabine, Jack Dalton, Al Muelke, Jeanne Bigler, Mike Keator,Eddie Chin, Gordy&Dee Hanson, Luan Jardin, Duane alphf,Sue Miller, Bill Harken, Dan Hanover, Leslie Murphy, Pete LaMoines, Mike Blue, Patty Moeller, Polly Moeller, Terry Box, Win Schwartz, Jake Klaus, Ken & Cindy Moore,Les Leonard,Bob Hibbing, Steve Botch, John Packwood,Mike Royal, Doug Lubbers, Kenneth Smith, Jim Kaap,( some I have an idea where they are, but others I have no clue) Huh Huh
wastedyearsthere
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 05:15:10 am »

The ones I know are

Terry Box -- no longer with GCI -- not sure if he is pastoring elsewhere or not? 
John Packwood -- no longer with GCI -- not going to any church as far as I know
Bob Hibbing -- still in Ames GCI church
Jake Klaus -- in Kansas City -- not with GCI church
lone gone
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 06:30:28 am »

Zandy Conner is still in Jersy,  he posted a couple of times here on the boards last year.
Ken and Cyndy Moore are down south, Texas or Arizona.

Go to www.AmesReunion2007.com   to see many photos and updates from many people who are still involved.

wastedyearsthere
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:48:37 am »

Many people came to the 2007 Ames reunion that are no longer involved as well.....  Quite a few really that I know of.

nolongergci
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:22:20 pm »

Zandy Conner is still in Jersy,  he posted a couple of times here on the boards last year.
Ken and CyndKy Moore are down south, Texas or Arizona.

Go to www.AmesReunion2007.com   to see many photos and updates from many people who are still involved.

Actually, Ken and Cyndi Moore are with a new GCI church in Rio Rancho, NM.
lone gone
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 06:11:31 am »

thanks for the correction. I'd tried to contact them and the email bounced back. They must have moved around then.
ustawannabee
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 05:03:10 pm »

about Terry Box, he has gone through some tough times,
He needs our prayers. I withdraw the other info because of my own remarks about shooting our own wounded :~(

I had no ill intentions but I do not wish to cause him and his family any unneeded pain
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 09:54:45 am by ustawannabee » Logged

Now I am free to be me in Christ!
AgathaL'Orange
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 06:39:42 pm »

Wow, that was sad.  How long were they with GCx?

Glad to be free.
wastedyearsthere
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 05:28:11 am »

One article said he was a pastor for 20 years.  Does anyone know if he is a pastor now in a different church?  I heard he is no longer with GCI. 

It is a very tragic story -- I knew the Box's personally and they are a wonderful family.  Terry married my husband and I..... 
Linda

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 07:29:13 am »

My heart goes out to all the people and families involved. So sad.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
DesiringTruth
Private Forum Access
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 02:45:26 pm »

Terry Box, indeed, has left GCI - a few years ago.  Yes, his family has suffered.  It is very unfortunate that this has come out on this forum for the world to see.  Some things are best left quiet, and this is one of them, except on an as-need-to-know basis.  It would be best to remove this story from this site.  Unfortunate, indeed.  No, he is not pastoring anywhere else.  Please remove, for him and his family's sake.
DesiringTruth
Private Forum Access
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 02:51:27 pm »

Furthermore, if Terry were a member here, he certainly would have put this in the private areas, but I doubt very much he would have posted this at all.  Posting this story was a shame.  Not even GCx has done that, even though they are fully aware of the story.  Let's not stoop so low.
theresearchpersona

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 03:30:03 pm »

What story?
Linda

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 03:51:59 pm »

Furthermore, if Terry were a member here, he certainly would have put this in the private areas, but I doubt very much he would have posted this at all.  Posting this story was a shame.  Not even GCx has done that, even though they are fully aware of the story.  Let's not stoop so low.
I don't think the person who posted this has access to the private forum.

Perhaps this topic is not relevant to the general decommissioned discussion, but I don't understand how it is "stooping low". This seems to be a very public story. I don't know this family, but my heart goes out to them and it made me want to pray for them, their son, and the victim's family. I don't see how that is "stooping low".

DesiringTruth
Private Forum Access
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 04:09:58 pm »

What was the reason for drawing attention to the plight of this family?  The story is public, but hard to find.  The poster made it easy to find.  What relevance does this information have to the object of this forum?  What was the reason for bringing up the story?  Some would consider it "juicy" information, proving the point that leaving GCI is detrimental to the soul (and family).  Indeed, within GCI, I know that Terry's situation has been held up as an example of what happens if you don't get with the program (or leave the program).  And whoever comes to this conclusion doesn't know "the rest of the story."  I question why this hard-to-find information was posted at all.  If Terry comes here, he will be embarrassed to find it discussed in a public way.  Wisdom would not have disclosed this matter in such a way or drawn attention to it.  Friends would not have drawn attention to it, for the sake of the Box family.  I am glad that you, Linda, will pray for the families (the Box family and the victim's family).  Others will treat this as a curiosity.
Linda

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 04:24:25 pm »

Indeed, within GCI, I know that Terry's situation has been held up as an example of what happens if you don't get with the program (or leave the program).  And whoever comes to this conclusion doesn't know "the rest of the story."
Oh, now I see what you are saying.

The thing I wanted to make sure that everyone knows is that this is an open forum. Most of us have never met (or if we have, we don't necessarily know each other). I post by my real name, but many for good reasons are uncomfortable using their real names. In addition, sometimes GC people post here anonymously.

I have no idea why this was mentioned other than people were wondering what had happened to various leaders and someone knew. It never occurred to me to judge this man or his family. It didn't occur to me that someone would put this up with the intent of harm.

It certainly never occurred to me to think that awful things followed those who leave GC. That is a lie that cults use. So, if GC is saying this about this situation I am horrified.

May God bring peace and hope to this family, their son, and the victim's family.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: