Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:14:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refreshing Faith Recovered  (Read 1965 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: June 10, 2016, 10:18:09 pm »

Refreshing Faith Recovered

Leaving GCx was so fully rejuvenating.  In no exaggeration, the feeling of refreshment and excitement and adventure filled my soul as I discovered life again outside the restrictive borders of GCx.  The freedom to make my own choices in my time, talents, friendships, family, vacations, career, and future made faith come alive again.  Although, there were internal struggles from occasionally doubting, at first, that I had done the right thing by leaving.  However, Christian counseling and Christian friends (outside GCx) and family helped me find my way.

When I left I didn't leave God or faith.  Instead, they were recovered!  I just hadn't realized how far they had been removed.  They were deceitfully substituted.  Like Paul says in the New Testament of those under False Teachers -- 'You have been alienated from Christ'.  (Never truly separated, but ceasing to rely upon Him.)

The movie "Paradise Recovered" captures the stale faith, imposing restrictions, harsh judgement, and substitution of men for God that are so common in spiritually abusive churches.  Though I personally didn't, some people like the victim in this movie do understandably pendulum swing at first, as they seek to find the healthy balance in freedom.

A key thing about this film story of spiritual abuse is that it seems Wellspring Retreat Center was consulted in the making of this movie! This is discussed on a link from the movie's website. Wellspring was actually founded by men who were once involved in the GCx Church Organization, but left because of it's spiritually abusive ways and leadership; and as a result started a recovery center for spiritual abuse victims.

Here is the link to the Movie's Film Trailer:  "Paradise Recovered".  Let it's refreshment lead you to recover your life and faith, too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tvNb7VNXQfg&autoplay=1

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:37:21 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 09:12:02 pm »

Love

The Only Lasting Motivator

It’s so refreshing to hear this foundational truth told. I’m not sure it can be said too much. The best example of it is when we have just received the astounding news that our sins have been totally and completely forgiven; and that we are forever unconditionally loved by God, through accepting Christ into our lives. We experience a fountain of overflowing joy and love because that is what we are wrapping our hope around as a new believer. We desire to be obedient to Jesus because of his overwhelming love for us.

Here are excerpts from a great devotion by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick in “Comforts from the Cross” on this motivator. The bold emphasis is mine

John 14:15 reads, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.”

… Jesus recognized the indissoluble connection between love and obedience. In the passage above he is teaching us about obedience, but not the way we teach our children. He isn’t piling on the guilt or hoping we’ll feel sorry for him and clean up our act. No, instead he knows that love for him is the only incentive that will stand up during trial and temptation, so he teaches us this vital relationship between love and obedience.

Jesus is lovingly stating a fact, but he’s also making a precious promise: love will motivate behavior. He completely knows us. He knows of our desire to obey and our shame and sadness because of our failures. But he also knows this: as our love for him grows, our obedience will grow, too.

…this verse isn’t primarily meant as a correction to lazy believers. It is meant to tell us what the key to obedience is.

The key to a godly life is not more and more self-generated effort. Instead, Jesus is saying, “Love me and your obedience will flow naturally from that love.” The secret to obedience isn’t formulaic steps found in a self-help book. It is a relentless pursuit of love for him. How then do I cultivate the sincerity of love that motivates obedience? By focusing more intently on his love for me than on my love for him, more on his obedience than mine, more on his faithfulness than mine, more on his strengths than mine.

The apostle John knew that the only way love for God could be created in us was through a grasp of God’s prior love to us. He simply stated, “We love because he first loved us” (1 John 4:19). The plain truth is that my love for God (and hence, my obedience) will grow as I cultivate my comprehension of his vast love for me. This is the wonderful promise of our Savior and the only sure method for true growth in godliness. If we neglect this key by focusing too narrowly on ourselves, our success or failure, then we’ll become mired down in guilt or pride, neither of which will stimulate loving obedience.

If, on the other hand, we intently focus on how we’ve been loved, irrevocably, eternally, freely, and without merit, if we contemplate how our obedience (or lack of it) doesn’t faze his love one whit, then we’ll find within our hearts a growing desire to obey. Why? Because love like that changes people.

https://www.crossway.org/articles/motivated-by-love/

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 09:17:05 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: