Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:23:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is C1 Network the new GCX?  (Read 4118 times)
LostCreature2
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: May 12, 2022, 07:18:42 am »

Is anyone here familiar with the C1 Network (https://c1network.org/)?

If you look at their youtube videos and see who is involved (Tom Short, Greg Standinger, etc), notice that everyone is a former GCX or Reliant Ministries leader.
While, in it's current form, C1 Network appears to be a resource for church leaders (of any denomination), knowing that it was started by all former GCX leaders is concerning.

After further digging, I was able to confirm this via a recent Greg Standinger seminar from this years (2022) Fusion Conference (Fusion has been the new Faithwalkers since 2020).
What is striking is how he claims they don't want to be GCX 2.0.
Yet, if you listen to the whole seminar (Look for the seminar title, "What is C1 Network?," at https://fusionmidwest.com/archive/),
it sounds like they still want GCX 2.0.

My hope was that as a result of the GCX dissolving in 2020, things would change for the better.
But listening to this update, knowing that they are continuing this movement under a different name, it is concerning to see.
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 11:24:31 am »

Interesting.

Do you have a link to who is on the board?

I notice that there is a prayer summit at Evergreen, I mean Hometown Church. So, perhaps C1 is the unofficial rebranding of GCC.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
LostCreature2

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 11:31:53 am »

Interesting.

Do you have a link to who is on the board?

I was not able to find that information.
There's really no information about who specifically runs what, but there are video introductions on their youtube page.

Were you able to listen to the seminar?
Anything stick out that I may have missed about the creation of this organization?
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 05:27:53 pm »

If you go to YouTube and search for C1 Network, you'll find several videos, all posted within the last two months. I haven't had time to watch them myself.

Their website says, "At its core, C1 is a peer network of pastors and leaders of ministries helping each other raise up leaders to reach our world for Christ." Of course, there is nothing wrong with creating a network to support church leaders. In the right hands, it could be a very good thing. But to me, having been in a Blitz church back in the 70's, it sounds oddly reminiscent of the weird hierarchy we lived under back then. There was an emphasis on leaders and leaders' needs which I have never encountered in any other church before or since then. They used to insist that there was no such thing as a clergy/laity distinction in the New Testament, while simultaneously emphasizing how central the elders were and how important it was to submit to them because they, unlike the rest of us, had the mind of God. For me, browsing the C1 website was like a flashback to those days.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 05:32:36 pm by Huldah » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 07:42:41 pm »

I agree with you, Lost Creature, that this is concerning. Agree with Huldah that a healthy resource like this would be great. However, we know from this website that very sadly is most often not the case with GCx  indoctrinated and consequently spiritually abusive leaders.

Thank you SO much, LostCreature, for highlighting the potential hazard of this new “resource,” the C1 Network, which sounds to be established by GCx Leaders (though they have most likely hidden those real origins).

Not only is the idea of unrepentant & abusively misguided GCx leaders training others in “Making Disciples” very unhealthy, it nearly makes me ill. The very thing they were most abusive in is what they have the gull to sell?! That demonstrates a scathing lack of humility, a scary amount of blindness, and deep deception.

To me, it might not be too far from the appalling notion of Larry Nassar offering training in Treating Young Olympic Gymnasts.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 09:45:30 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
LostCreature2

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 06:01:40 am »

Not only is the idea of unrepentant & abusively misguided GCx leaders training others in “Making Disciples” very unhealthy, it nearly makes me ill. The very thing they were most abusive in is what they have the gull to sell?! That demonstrates a scathing lack of humility, a scary amount of blindness, and deep deception.

To me, it might not be too far from the appalling notion of Larry Nassar offering training in Treating Young Olympic Gymnasts.

Not sure I would compare this to Nassar...
But yes, I agree that they don't seem to understand the systemic issues within the GCX system and why they were ever a problem.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 07:18:32 pm »

LostCreature, I get what you’re saying about not making that comparison. I’m SO thankful that we can each share our own perspective here. It is God’s gift of freedom that we can each think for ourselves and come to our own conclusions. That was definitely NOT encouraged and very often not “approved” by McCotter or his indoctrinated disciples.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 07:20:29 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Linda

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 05:57:50 am »

"Collaborating to Raise Up Healthy Leaders"

That's the header on the C1 network home page.

The first thing that caught my attention was the phrase "raise up". Totally a GCx phrase. "Raising up" leaders was their thing. I would go as far as to call it a "sect" of leadership.

It's interesting to note that after the Darling fiasco, there was a split. The loyal band of brothers divided at that point and there was a great "diaspora" that resulted from this "schism". GCC tried to hang on, but the discord was too strong among the brothers. The catalyst was the Darling situation.

M28 seems to be made up of the brothers who supported Darling and felt he was treated wrongly. Seems to be mostly GCC Mountains West leaders, but the Minnesota Rock remnant is also listed with these guys. Remember the boiler explosion of 2018 that happened on that great SAILING ship? Sounds more like a steam ship, but I digress. Smiley

https://www.m28alliance.com/blog/m28-alliance-ship-is-setting-sail/

For a while, to the outside observer, it looked as if there was a three way split.

Mountains West people, Midwest people who weren't happy with Hopler's GCC leadership (maybe they blamed him for the great boiler explosion of 2018), and then some who didn't want to join M28, but wanted to leave GCC. That was the "Lift Network", but it apparently never lifted off the ground. Lift was a bunch of mostly Iowa churches including the Mother Church and, if I remember correctly, they joined up with the Southern Baptists. My guess is that move spelled the end of the run for GCC.

As it turns out, all that loyalty talk was just that. Talk. Or maybe a better way to phrase it was that they were loyal to the idea of GCC, but not the men of GCC.

Then the question became, where do the brothers turn who were loyal to the "idea" of GCC (but not all the men). What do the men do who don't want to join up with M28 (because the great boiler explosion of 2018 caused a split among the men), but knew that GCC was slowly dying (because of that great boiler explosion of 2018) that led to a distrust of GCC leadership.

We now have an answer. C1.

That's my take, anyway.

Whether or not they admit it, C1 appears to be a rebranding of GCC without Hopler.

I love the 4th FAQ.

Who leads C1 Network?
Our board, though they have limited authority.

Haha. "Our board". Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any names of any board members listed. Huge red flag. Just like the ECC (now Hometown Church) BOT. When a group doesn't list the names of the board members, one should assume they are hiding something. When you have to dig for that info, someone is hiding something.

As you mentioned LC2, if you look at the videos, you can find the names. IF you know how these people were connected to GCC, you can clearly see what is happening. If not, they have once again pulled the wool over people's eyes.

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 09:45:40 pm »

Excellent observance of red flags, Linda! Legitimate Sources list their board members and they are answerable to that board if problems arise. But rebellious leaders answer to no one. Somehow GCx leaders are way too often given a blind “pass” because of deceptive excuses for their spiritually corrupt actions.

“Collaborating to Raise Up Healthy Leaders” is advertising and selling a service that they do not possess. That is fraudulent.  Not only do they not possess experience in that, they actually are spiritually abusive at it!  No trouble guessing where they learned the false advertising from!

What if Enron advertised and sold “collaboration” for healthy accounting and debt management?

After I finished laughing, I would strongly suggest to those I cared about to steer clear of such fraudulent Collaboration?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 08:48:51 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2022, 02:02:32 pm »

Thank you, Linda, for such a thorough analysis of the situation.

As for whether C1N is GCx 2.0, technically, I'd say no, but only because C1N appears to be a support group exclusively for pastors and leaders, as opposed to being a church or collection of churches. However, C1N certainly appears to be carrying on the philosophy of GCx.

C1N's home page says, "More Healthy Leaders Are Needed to Fulfill the Great Commission." Please understand that I'm not trying to downplay or disrespect the role of church leadership, but... is this strictly Scriptural? Is the Great Commission dependent primarily on leadership?

As I read the New Testament, yes, good leaders are important and worthy of respect, but their role isn't to take center stage. Their role is to spiritually support and equip the membership at large. Ephesians 4: 11, 12 says that Christ gave "...some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for works of ministry and to build up the body of Christ." 1 Corinthians 12:21-22 says, "As it is, there are many parts, but one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, 'I do not need you.' Nor can the head say to the feet, 'I do not need you.' On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts we consider less honorable, we treat with greater honor."

Traditionally in GCx, the hands, feet, fingers, and toes were often looked down on as mere financial support and grunt workers for the Heads. In my day, during the Blitz era, the "less honorable" members weren't even considered worthy of marriage. If C1N is continuing the pastor-centrism of the old Blitz days, then it's denying the importance of rank-and-file church members and perhaps even downplaying the role of the Holy Spirit. Pastor-centrism is part of the DNA of GCx going all the way back to the Blitz.

There's something else on the website that bothers me, from a Scriptural point of view. C1N is hosting a series of workshops called Dream Weekends. The description of the workshops almost has a prosperity-gospel or even New Age feel to it. The emphasis isn't on holiness or doctrine or anything like that, but rather on helping pastors get what they want out of life. At least it seems that way to me. Does anyone else see it that way?

Delight in the Lord and discern true heart’s desires
    Reveal what is blocking us from receiving all God wants to give us
    Experience new freedom from things that are getting in the way
    Align our lives to God’s dreams
    Mobilize deep friendships within the C1 Network to help us live our heart’s desires

The next to last item in particular strikes me as questionable. "Align our lives with God's dreams." Does God have dreams? Doesn't that word normally mean wishes or aspirations that may or may not be fulfilled? God has plans and purposes which He'll bring about in their proper time, and nothing can prevent Him from doing so. But dreams? This kind of spiritually imprecise language is also part of the DNA of GCx.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 04:10:36 pm by Huldah » Logged
Linda

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 06:14:53 am »

Yesterday I stumbled upon a talk given at the Fusion Conference. It was given by Greg Standinger (who I learned is the head honcho guy, the John Hopler, if you will) of C1. That's right, I listened to the talk. Do I get a cookie? I think I should get a cookie for listening. I had to listen in 5 and 10 minute segments, because honestly, it's rather triggering to be reminded that people misrepresented things and outright lied to me. So, fair warning if you listen. That said, I'm glad I listened because it confirmed to me that C1 is really a reboot of GCC.

Here is the link. If time is limited, I recommend starting at the 8 minute mark and go through at least the 30 minute mark. It's quite telling. I took a few notes and will offer phrases from my notes to give you a feel of what Standinger says. (Also, Pile's book "Marching to Zion", mentions a Standinger lawsuit. I've never been able to hear what that was all about. Does anyone know anything about this?). Here's the link followed by my notes:

https://soundcloud.com/user-493925151/greg-standinger-what-is-c1?in=user-493925151/sets/fusion-2022-one-thing

—C1 is an organization to support pastors and leaders. Each church will be autonomous. "Churches appoint and employ their own pastors and staff. That was not true under the denomination." About the 10 minute mark.

Whoa, hold your horses. First off, we were always told it was an association of churches and we were part of 2 associations. GCC and Willow Creek. Standinger uses the words denomination and association interchangeably. This is telling. What is more telling is when he describes the old system that required approval from the GCC board of all pastors. We understood that the congregation did not have voting approval over pastors, but we were never told that the GCC board voted on approval.

Very little shocks me these days when it comes to GCC, but this actually shocked me. The role of the GCC board was misrepresented to the members of GCC churches. We were told that our church was autonomous and not beholden to the GCC board. I had no idea they had final say in pastor approval.

—A lot of this talk was about GCCs connection to C1. Here are some things I gleaned:

All the GCC documents were GIVEN to C1 (11 minute mark). These documents include the Core Values statement, the Statement of Faith, the GCLI materials, and Dayights. Actually, he says the documents were given to "the churches" which raises the question of who these churches are because he also repeatedly tells us that this is an association of pastors and leaders and NOT and association of churches.

(My view is that he uses the words "pastors" and "churches" interchangeably because in the eyes of GCC leaders, the pastors ARE the church. I think Tyndale got burned at the stake for translating the word "ekklesia" as "congregation". It is my opinion that a seminary education would have helped them see that some of their views are pre-reformation and almost "Roman Catholic" when it comes to church structure, but I digress.)

Bottom line. C1 has adopted without change, all the GCC documents. Technically, he does inform us that they did change some of the documents by REPLACING THE WORDS "GREAT COMMISSION CHURCHES" WITH C1!!!

GCC has a "legacy" board that is made up of three people. Hopler is one of them. He didn't say who the other two are. C1 is working closely with the GCC legacy board.

As far as C1 goes, if I understand, there is a national board of which Standinger is the head, and then there are regional representatives. So, basically like GCC, but with a new name and slightly different membership (pastors not churches). A guy named Dave Ferguson is the secretary.

—All the men on the board have belonged to GC churches.

—The very first order of business was to adopt the GC core values and edit out GC and replace it with C1.

—C1 is partnering with Reliant.

—Standinger also says they want to go back to the structure of the 80s and 70s.

So, my take. C1 is a reboot of Old School GC.

Next up, McCotter returns?! Stay tuned.

Fire up the busses, kids, were headed for Las Cruces!!!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 06:18:55 am by Linda » Logged

margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 06:31:34 am »

Ugh. Just reading this thread, without clicking on any of the links, is triggering.
LeftTheChurchEntirely

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 11:28:19 am »

A bunch of directors identified here: https://www.corporationwiki.com/p/3bh3q2/greg-standinger
Reliant: https://www.datanyze.com/companies/reliant/22054988
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 12:03:33 pm by LeftTheChurchEntirely » Logged
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 12:39:16 pm »

My view is that he uses the words "pastors" and "churches" interchangeably because in the eyes of GCC leaders, the pastors ARE the church.

Well, you may be right. The FAQ page on their website says that C1N is, in their words, "a network of leaders rather than a network of churches." But then they follow that up by saying, "The good news is that there is nothing that a collaborative network of leaders cannot do that an association of churches can do. In truth, churches don’t actually collaborate with one another, leaders do.  C1 intends to help facilitate collaboration by helping leaders connect around discipleship, missions, conferences, and anything else our members want their respective organizations to do together.  Practical areas of collaboration include sharing of resources, executing conferences on joint interests." To me this reads like an effort to concentrate decision-making power in the leaders while denying any meaningful influence to the average church member in the pews.

Yesterday I stumbled upon a talk given at the Fusion Conference. It was given by Greg Standinger (who I learned is the head honcho guy, the John Hopler, if you will) of C1. That's right, I listened to the talk. Do I get a cookie? I think I should get a cookie for listening.

I baked brownies last night. If you were here, I would give you a brownie.
Linda

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2022, 03:06:09 pm »

I hadn't seen that quote, Huldah! Thanks for pointing it out. It always comes down to reading the fine print and with GCC, C1, whatever, it comes down to not trusting anything they say because they have not proven themselves trustworthy.

It's hard to keep everything straight, but I did take some screen shots from Wayback Machine and have found some major contradictions. I'll write as I have time. It seems like this place wants to be "all things to all men" so bad that they just tell people what they want to hear. That was my experience and it is playing out with GCC/C1.

When you take on the core values, the statement of faith, and all the GCLI teaching and slap your name on it and at the same time you place only former GC people in leadership, what you have done is rebranded.

Also, a brownie sounds great!

LeftTheChurchEntirely, thank you for that link. Are you familiar with those men? It looks like a lot are maybe east coast and FL people?

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 08:39:56 pm »

Great digging and unearthing, Linda!!!

When you take on the core values, the statement of faith, and all the GCLI teaching and slap your name on it and at the same time you place only former GC people in leadership, what you have done is rebranded.

Also, a brownie sounds great!

-Linda

Wow!! This is REALLY IMPORTANT and REVEALING information! You WAY deserve a brownie, actually a whole Chocolate Torte! I quite agree that REBRANDING is what’s going on here.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 08:42:13 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

LeftTheChurchEntirely

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2022, 06:05:32 am »

I know a couple of them. Standinger in particular… but I’ve not had contact with him for some time.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2022, 07:33:07 pm »

If you haven’t done so yet, read the crucial facts that posters above have learned about C1 Network. They reveal that the essence of this organization is GCx of the past with a brand new name. Past GCx Leaders are the creators, organizers, board, and launching leaders of this network and app.

What is obviously missing is where they are getting their experience to accomplish their advertised claim: to raise healthy leaders, as they appallingly assert. Most of us former members are all too familiar with GCx’s very unhealthy “discipling” of leaders. From the testimonies on this site the members joy decreased and their burden increased the longer they stayed. So, I find their “offering” quite misleading and even false. Here are the advertised claims from their website.

“At C1 Network, we believe that by helping one another raise up healthy leaders using our diverse gifts and experiences, we can share the load and make this difficult task easier. As a result we should experience more joy and less burden in our ministry.”
The purpose of the Dream Weekends is to:
Delight in the Lord and discern true heart’s desires
Reveal what is blocking us from receiving all God wants to give us
Experience new freedom from things that are getting in the way
Align our lives to God’s dreams
Mobilize deep friendships within the C1 Network to help us live our heart’s desires”

These are the antithesis of what we were taught and experienced in GCx.

This Network Model allows us to create an environment that provides the tools, space, and framework to care for each other.  .
. . .
In the app you will find assessments, trainings, resources, and a tools to help you raise up healthy leaders and become a healthier leader yourself.

Cheating and deceiving God’s people. How dare them present themselves as a reliable source in theses areas! They may be attempting to add trustworthy sources to make it seem the whole is sound. But unleavened dough mixed with a small amount of leaven likely will make the whole batch leavened.

It would be best to throw out all the (unhealthy teaching and practices) leaven and not mix it with anything that is healthy. It should not be the starter batch.

Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2022, 09:10:20 am »

As I read it, the C1 website, with its promises of freedom and support, isn't addressed to church members. It's only addressed to the leadership. To quote:

C1 intends to help facilitate collaboration by helping leaders connect around discipleship, missions, conferences, and anything else our members [the leadership] want their respective organizations [the underlings in the pews] to do together.  Practical areas of collaboration include sharing of resources [energy, time, and material assets provided by the underlings]...

So if the underlings are merely "organizations" who place their "resources" in the hands of the leaders, it sounds very much like the old Blitz days.

Am I misinterpreting their words? Am I reading the worst possible interpretation into it just because I had a bad experience so long ago?

Well, that's possible, but I don't think so, because there's nothing on that website that provides any balance. There's no, "learn to be sensitive to the needs of your congregation," or, "discover how to encourage the giftedness of each member of your flock." Nothing about equipping your followers to pursue the dreams God has placed in their hearts. In context of this website, the people in the pews are simply "resources" for leaders to put at each other's disposal. That's their word, not mine. Their emphasis, not mine.

The only significant difference I see between the early Blitz days and today is the type of language they use. Back then it was, "Reaching the world for Christ in our generation." Now it's helping pastors "unblock" the things standing in the way of their "dreams."  Is it significant that they've shifted from overtly Biblical language to language borrowed from pop psychology and self-help?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 01:58:11 pm by Huldah » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2022, 05:54:54 pm »

BEWARE of Heartbreaking Control

You may have never heard of C1 Network & won’t be able to successfully research it on the internet because it is a brand new church group name. Beware of any church group that has gone through multiple name changes. They are often attempting to hide a very unhealthy or abusive history. This C1Network, Lift Network, Southeast Church Alliance, M28 Alliance and Reliant Mission result from a splintering of a very abusive church organization we now refer to as GCx because it’s aliases had mostly used “Great Commission” in their names. Their abuse extends to intruding in the personal lives of its members and in spiritually misleading & deceiving them to hold them captive. Sadly, this includes a very effective but terrifying control measure -shunning. The appalling practice included slandering and dividing disloyal members from close friends and even family.

Though on paper or by public questioning this teaching and practice is denied by these “past” GCx leaders, it still continues in some of its churches according to testimony on this site. None of its “current” leaders have publicly rebuked the dictating founder, Jim McCotter, who handed down this and other harmful control measures. The damages they have inflicted upon their people found here are only a small portion of the tens of thousands who were caught in their “psychological prison” they label a “church.”

The following YouTube Video about Shunning in a Local Church is nothing short of heartbreaking! This should be viewed by every GCx leader who dismisses and minimizes it’s harmful teachings and practices. How DARE you claim to be a collaborative resource to “raise up healthy leaders!”

By the way, the leader in question in this video makes a statement in the end that “shunning” is not part of their “doctrine”. Sound familiar? That is the same deception we have heard from GCx leaders for about 40 years.

Woman Calls Local Church A Cult As She Fights To Reunite Family - CBS Pittsburgh

https://youtu.be/rVGLDbdZ8j0

« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 08:18:24 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: