Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
November 20, 2018, 03:23:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Reckoning  (Read 37609 times)
Rebel in a Good Way
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #300 on: April 10, 2018, 12:59:50 pm »

Darth Vader, the suggestion was not a bad one.  I think it speaks to the trustworthiness of the investigator for both sides.  Some think GRACE might find abuse that's not there because their mission is focused on abuse.  As an employment attorney, others feel Joan might be more prone to favor employers.  I personally wouldn't trust anyone who has taught things like Piper has to be fair to women.  It's too bad they couldn't find someone in the middle; a solution must exist.

But you're right, it's not relevant at this point since a path has been chosen.  I did appreciate the main idea of your suggestion.
DarthVader
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #301 on: April 10, 2018, 02:18:45 pm »

Thanks Rebel - and I agree - Piper's views (on a number of subjects) are too off to be an ideal person for something like this.
Ghost
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #302 on: June 23, 2018, 04:50:07 am »

Hello JD..How are you great I hope and pray..i knew you as a 11 or 12,13 year old i thought you were a well mannered young man..sincere..honest and raised by loving parents and a good family..you were a mini me of your father..from the leather jacket to the spiky hair..yes....a Jr. in every way  shape and form..it is sad what has taken place over a period of time..maybe your father should get himself a  mini farm like you with a flowing stream.. with scenic views..peaceful..serene..just show your mama all the love in the world..maybe in the best interest of all..he  permanently step down and officially retire from his ministry..let the church start the healing process for all...give everyone a big hug and say i love you..our lord in heaven loves you..please forgive me..i am sorry for my actions and any pain i may have caused you..me myself have asked for forgiveness..let there not be hatred..only the love of our savior Jesus Christ..our Lord in heaven.....so i guess financial considerations must be given...your family should also be well taken care of in all ways..yes then there can be calmness..a peace within and people can go on with their own lives...so let us make this a message of love..hope and continued growth in our walk that lay before us...i just want to say I love you..your father and whole family..like to give you all a big hug right now...God Bless always...............Barry Day
Rebel in a Good Way
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #303 on: September 21, 2018, 10:28:19 am »

Not to revive this awful thread but I just read that Leith Anderson will be participating in the new and improved investigation of Bill Hybels.  He has commended GCC on their website.  DV apparently made a good suggestion, but how can you commend one movement that covered up the EXACT same predatory behavior?

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2018/september/bill-hybels-willow-creek-investigation-advisors-iag.html?utm_source=ctweekly-html&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_term=12671490&utm_content=607597064&utm_campaign=email

This is from http://gccweb.org/about/relationships-partnerships/

"Great Commission Churches focus on evangelism and  discipleship that is 1st century biblical and 21st century relevant.

Leith Anderson
President of the National Association of Evangelicals

John Hopler, in a personal e-mail has also referred someone with doubts about the organization to have Leith vouch for them.

I think your concern about privacy is not wrong, however, let me pose a solution to you that I think addresses your concerns and perhaps would have gotten much better victim engagement (would you agree that is also a good/of concern?).  Pick a trusted third-party, e.g., (just as an example) Leith Anderson (Woodale) or John Piper (Bethlehem) or Bob Bakke (Hillside Church), ECC writes them a check to cover the cost of the investigation and that person is given full discretionary power to select and pay for the investigator (it could even have been Joan, the attorney ECC picked), to decide what is shared/not publicly, to decide what recommendations are made to the Board (who does have to make any final decisions about ECC staff) and decide if those recommendations are shared publicly in whole-or-in part.

DarthVader
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #304 on: September 21, 2018, 10:59:09 am »

Aw, thanks for giving me credit RIGW...fond memories of those days in March and April - NOT  Wink.  I will admit I did feel a bit vindicated when I saw Willow Creek's rebooted process - granted it took Bill H retiring early, terrible experiences from another victim coming out in the NY Times, the resignation of the two heir apparents and the entire board stepping down to get to a better investigative model, but they got there..

Hopefully with a balance of views across the team they assembled to lead the investigation they can get at the truth, despite any one person's shortcomings.  Overall, I think the new WC approach is very sound, light-years better than what they did the first time. Something like that (respected outsiders, independently financed) could probably become the template for how churches investigate claims like these.
Free in Christ
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #305 on: September 21, 2018, 04:16:12 pm »

Just a note on Leith Anderson. His son is married to someone who was a missionary for GCM for a long time (a wonderful woman), so his endorsement is not surprising.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: