Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:26:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Roots of Evergreen  (Read 61509 times)
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2018, 04:10:55 pm »

Quote from: DLM
1. The cult of victimhood. Shamednomore seems to have endured some hurtful things. I don't belittle her pain nor deny wrong was done. But the way others rush in to emblazon her with the shared mantle of victimhood is unhelpful. Most of the frequent posters here eagerly share that status with anyone who will point their fingers at their shared perpetrator - anything GCX. Look at the great benefits of being a victim, shared feelings of being right, attention, validation, no need to take personal responsibilities for things that didn't go well. But being a victim is not helpful. It is artificial comfort that stunts growth, reconciliation and healing.

Victim: a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action; a person who is tricked or duped

In March of 2009, Bernie Madoff plead guilty to 11 felonies involving his Ponzi scheme that defrauded thousands of clients of $65 billion dollars. The clients were victims of Mr. Madoff's crime. They lost a lot of money and some even committed suicide.

There is such a thing as a true victim.

If someone had knowledge that this was a Ponzi scheme because they had lost money in Mr. Madoff's investment company (in other words, they had been victims) and they just went merrily on their way and didn't inform people of the deception, I would think less of them. On the other hand, I would not criticize them for "not getting over it" if they warned others of their experience. I would thank them for using their experience to warn others. It doesn't mean they haven't moved on with their life, it simply means they experienced something harmful and are trying to help others avoid the pain of their experience.

People have been harmed by GCx for decades. I understand DLM, that you have not been harmed, but to callously dismiss the pain of others reflects more on current GCx culture than it does on those posting here sharing their GCx stories. I choose to believe that you have no idea of the extent of the harm done by the submission to elders/commitment for life teaching because if you did and still posted as you do, it would be astonishingly cruel.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
blonde

« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2018, 12:00:23 am »

Consider this source doc: http://forum.gcmwarning.com/people-and-places-of-gc/open-letter-to-mark-darling/

We must become the change we want to see.
-Mahatma Gandhi
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2018, 01:17:33 pm »

Yes, it's true. The church in Minneapolis was a church before Brent Knox and Mark Darling came there. And I'm sure if you asked Brent Knox, that he would affirm this. Now, I have seen that sometimes the churches will change names or there is some restructuring. Like I can see if when Brent and Mark came and they were official part of Ames Fellowship Church that they later on, when becoming independent (so to speak) that they would consider that the start of the church. Which might be the name under whatever name they started it with.

I know Brent Knox for a long time. He used to have curly wavey hair, now it seems to all be beach.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2022, 08:06:34 pm »

We just left Evergreen two years ago, and many of these painful practices were still happening. Strict discipline for the kids, homeschooling was the remedy for everything, women’s opinions were not heard. When we left at first the pastors seemed genuinely concerned for our spiritual wellbeing...like we wouldn’t be let into the pearly gates once we left the church. But then the tone changed and we were specifically told not to expect to hear from our Evergreen friends anymore and that the best use of our time would be to focus on our “new church friends”. It’s sad it has to be that way....

-Sheeple    left ~ 2016

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 07:05:51 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: