Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 21, 2019, 11:01:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spanking  (Read 200007 times)
Isthisreal?
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #180 on: December 28, 2018, 11:41:49 pm »

Please tell me we aren't rehashing stuff from 1978 now...? 40 yrs ago?Huh Amazing!!!
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #181 on: December 29, 2018, 08:31:31 am »

Yes, it is amazing that the founding pastor could say this and get away with it without being challenged:

"When you discipline, this verse indicates, as others do, that you want to do it so it wounds. Now, when you say 'wounds,' it doesn't mean that you have a bloody mess on your hands necessarily. It doesn't mean that you have a child 'wounding' like he has a broken leg."

McCotter added in his taped sermon that this means you have been severe enough that the child's attitude at that point has been reversed.

"And he may, and often will be, black and blue," McCotter continued. "My children have been many times. And it cleans evil from them.”

Even more amazing that current leadership never corrected such awful teaching, or any other awful McCotter teaching.

Even more amazing that they still speak so highly of him.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #182 on: December 29, 2018, 01:39:17 pm »

Please tell me we aren't rehashing stuff from 1978 now...? 40 yrs ago?Huh Amazing!!!

By that logic, no one should be discussing the Reformation or the great awakening. No one should be reading about Hudson Taylor or Corrie ten Boom.
Cult Proof
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #183 on: December 29, 2018, 01:50:38 pm »

It’s a false statement to say people are rehashing things from 1970’s.  My kids were born in 2003 and 2005 and we were taught by gcc to abuse our kids. Actually more than that we were pressured to abuse our kids and we were rebuked when we wouldn’t. And no I am not calling spanking abuse. I am saying we were told to hit out kids across their face and to spank them until they bleed and to not stop even when they were teenagers. Thankfully my kids are healing from the trauma of being born into a cult.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2018, 06:55:19 pm »

Cult Proof, that remark about 1978 may have been intended as a dig at those of us who've written about our experiences back in the 70's. We write about those things because many of the same problems we faced in our GC churches back then (back before it was even called GC) are still happening.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: